FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Integral Calculus

bcnhs81
I really love it but it does not love me back!!.. I'm having a very hard time understanding the concepts.. Btw I'm an engineering student so that's why i have a clalculus subject.. does anybody here have tips and suggestions on improvong one's skill in calculus? PLease post some links to sites having good tutorials.. thanks!
Carupieara
I dunno about good integral sites but practice sure helps me. Me too always had a problem but I somehow get it to work. So I guess if you keep practicing you'll eventually be good at it.
myrevolt
heh. i'm having a problem with AP Physics....concepts are over my head...D+ in the class.... Shocked
benwhite
A lot of colleges have decent calculus reviews online.

I'd also recommend reading and trying the problems in a different textbook. In general, one of the easiest and most useful ways to figure something out when the first time doesn't cut it is to go and hear it from somewhere else.

If you're not using it currently, you should go to a library and check out a copy Stewart's Single Variable Calculus, an excellent textbook. There is also a version for Multivariable, although I personally found that one a bit less satisfying. The solution manuals (sold separately, of course) also work out the problems so you can see more examples of Integration in practice. You can also always ask a professor to look at or borrow a teacher's edition of a calculus textbook--they also usually contain detailed solutions. Seeing and -doing- lots of problems of all different types is crucial.

The first step to understanding Integrals is understanding derivatives. If you have a solid foundation in that, you'll see that act of integration is simply the opposite--the antiderivate. Of course it gets more complicated than that, but higher level math and science is all about building a foundation and going from there. If you don't get the basics, you'll -never- understand the complex topics. You can't work backwards. Good luck.
mariohs
I took engineering too... pretty tough, but I did it Dancing
The best way for learning is to make many exercises... take one book on the library, get the exercises, toast your brain till you get fed up... then, go to your teacher private room and ask for help (don't know what kind of teacher-student relationship you have over there, but here in Brazil, I could just go to the teachers priv room and ask for help) Wink
mstreet
Well I don't have any tips or sites for you but since you are in Engineering I can give you this link of where I work at although I'm just an admin person .http://www.aer.bris.ac.uk/
airh3ad
hehehe im sorry im failed that subject i got 3.3 grade(73% i think..) thats my 1st failed subject in college...my advise is to read calculus books and review always..
limcopy
math to me still is a strange subject Smile err how to apply the complicate formula into our life ? i also dun know ; to me it just work in the theory field only.... until now i still not really understand why have to study such complicate maths subject ? Rolling Eyes
Davidgr1200
The basic concept in integral calculus is that the integral is the area under the curve. Try drawing a straight line parallel to the x axis: y=10 for example. The integral of this equation from x=1 to x=8 will then be the rectangle with the four corners:
y=0, x=1
y=0, x=8
y=10, x=8
y=10, x=1

Working out the integral the usual way you will get 10x of course and the limits will be x=1 and x=8 so the answer will be 80 - 10 = 70. Which is the area of the above mentioned rectangle. If you can grasp that (which shouldn't be a problem) then you know what integration is all about. All you need to know then are the different techniques for working out the integral. The concept is easy.
pjv
i hate this subject coz i'm too lazy to practice. It's the only way you can improve your skills in solving calculus problems. I'm just thankful that I managed to pass this one. Very Happy
damj
If it's any help, I have 2 engineering degrees and have been working 11 years, and have only had to do calculus once since college, and that was to help my coworker answer a question on his son's high school homework.

Integral calculus isn't that hard, but I think it either comes easy to people or not, and if you're in the not category, you just have to suck it up and practice alot.

Now differential calculus is another story ... especially Partial Differential Calculus is a TOTALLY different world.
ocalhoun
Its possible that you have found the limits of your intelligence. Don't get me wrong, to find the limits of your intelligence that far out is respectable. If you just can't seem to understand it, perhaps you should just stick to what you know best.
Nyizsa
I am an electrical engineer. Cool I think mechanical engineers use the integral calculus more often, but we need to know it also. You can say that in our job we make MANY simplifications, so what would need an integral calculus, we use a simple multiplication, and so on. But you just NEED TO KNOW where you can make these simplifications, and the way for that is to know the way it should be calculated if it were ideal!
I had no problems with integral calculus anyway, nor with any other fields of mathematics. I was afraid of economy. Evil or Very Mad
damj
Nyizsa wrote:
I am an electrical engineer. Cool I think mechanical engineers use the integral calculus more often, but we need to know it also. You can say that in our job we make MANY simplifications, so what would need an integral calculus, we use a simple multiplication, and so on. But you just NEED TO KNOW where you can make these simplifications, and the way for that is to know the way it should be calculated if it were ideal!
I had no problems with integral calculus anyway, nor with any other fields of mathematics. I was afraid of economy. Evil or Very Mad

Good point, as a working engineer, I use a small portion of what I learned in college, however you need to understand the theories behind it. Sure, anyone can learn to input data into a computer program, but we have learned to interpret those results and assess if they are valid, and if not, you need to understand the theory behind it to figure out why it doesn't work and to fix it.

As for calculus, I actually liked it and it came easy to me.
benwhite
The thing about complex subjects like Calculus is they are best learned in a step-wise fashion. Derivaties->Intergrals->sequence, series->multivariable->partials->linear algebra etc.

Each one would be difficult if you don't have a solid foundation in the preceeding theories as a basis to build on. Except I suppose linear algebra is sometimes taught before multivariable calculus.
Xipha
Linear algebra is evil... I just finished that ocurse, before i even took integral calculus.....
Programmable
Inegral calculus are really annoying some times

But there are many ways to go through them:
-Changing Variables
-integration by part
-this form (n-1)f'^n

And there is more
Very Happy
geyikkutuphanesi
Nyizsa wrote:

I'am studiying at electrical engineering and I will be an electrical engineer too. But this is my first year. Smile I saw you are from Turkey. I'm from Turkey too. :)Which school you finished in Turkey or somewhere Smile ? and what are the economical problems for u?
Soulfire
You might try a search engine and see what turns up. I'm still in High School, Algebra 2 (Advanced Algebra).

Nothing too special to you intellects, but in my school, that's good for a sophomore. I maintain an A+ average (though A+ do not affect your GPA).
Nyizsa
geyikkutuphanesi wrote:
I'am studiying at electrical engineering and I will be an electrical engineer too. But this is my first year. Smile I saw you are from Turkey. I'm from Turkey too. :)Which school you finished in Turkey or somewhere Smile ? and what are the economical problems for u?

I live in Turkey temporarily only. I am Hungarian. I graduated in Kandó Kálmán Faculty of Electrical Engineering, in Hungary. I have a BsC. I will go for an MsC this year... if everything goes well.
About economy... I just don't get it. I am over it, though, so it doesn't matter anymore.
geyikkutuphanesi
Nyizsa wrote:
geyikkutuphanesi wrote:

I live in Turkey temporarily only. I am Hungarian. I graduated in Kandó Kálmán Faculty of Electrical Engineering, in Hungary. I have a BsC. I will go for an MsC this year... if everything goes well.
About economy... I just don't get it. I am over it, though, so it doesn't matter anymore.

Do you know turkish? Smile
Nyizsa
Yes, I speak a little bit... Türkçe az konuşuyorum...
But I think we got a bit off-topic here. Feel free to send me a private message, or contact me via ICQ.
Görüşürüz...
kam311
I made it to Calculus 2, but didn't do so well. (Not a math person) That's why I quit my electrical enginerring major. As far a help on it...don't know what to say except look for tutoring or something...that works for some people. Have fun with those integrals!
Scott
I'm in my last year of highschool now, I'm doing AP Calculus. I'm not quite sure what integral calculus is, although I would guess it has to do with integration? In my class this year all we have dealt with is differentiation. A lot of derivitave finding and problem solving with that.

Nyizsa: I'm thinking about going into electrical engineering, or maybe computer engineering after highschool. Do you happen to know the main differences in the two? No one has really explained it to me.
SunburnedCactus
Computer engineering deals specifically with the electronics of computers, and features more in depth study of computer systems etc. However there is some overlap between the two; on my Electronic engineering course there is still a fair bit of computing involved.
psycosquirrel
I love calculus too, but I'm in high school Shocked

Anyways, I just solve problems for fun sometimes, that helps. Just when you are riding in the car or whatever, sit down to a complex problem and solve it. If you have to take the class, you might as well enjoy the subject Very Happy
Nyizsa
Scott:
SunburnedCactus wrote:
Computer engineering deals specifically with the electronics of computers, and features more in depth study of computer systems etc. However there is some overlap between the two; on my Electronic engineering course there is still a fair bit of computing involved.

Yes, mainly this is the thing. An electrical engineer will be able to deal with a MUCH wider range of equipment: electric engines, sensors, robots, medical equipment, and yes, computers. And the tricky part: integration of all these. And one has to study some other engineering science also. (How do you design an electric engine without knowing the mechanics part?)
A computer engineer's job is about computers. Software and hardware, mostly.
I suggest not to decide right now. Usually (in Hungary, at least) they learn the same things in the first year. Apply for one and if you like the other better, you can be exchanged in the first year.
bcnhs81
geee.. thanks guys.. btw my major is electronics and communciations and my grade in diferential calc is 2.3 (87%).. i dunno.. but i have 2 admit that i have a poor foundation in math.. but despite these, i took up engineering.. why? to challenge myself.. well i guess, calculus is indeed a serious subject in which you rily need to put some effort.... you see i have a happy-go-lucky attitude Very Happy Very Happy
damj
bcnhs81 wrote:
geee.. thanks guys.. btw my major is electronics and communciations and my grade in diferential calc is 2.3 (87%).. i dunno.. but i have 2 admit that i have a poor foundation in math.. but despite these, i took up engineering.. why? to challenge myself.. well i guess, calculus is indeed a serious subject in which you rily need to put some effort.... you see i have a happy-go-lucky attitude Very Happy Very Happy

You're right about the effort part. I never learned to study in high school (I could pull A's in my sleep), so when I went to College, I didn't know how to do the work and struggled badly my first couple of years and nearly quit. I finally figured out how to study and do the work and pulled a 3.6 average carrying 20 hours per semeseter my last 2 years to graduate with honors.
erlendhg
What is calcalus?

I just wondered.
(You know, I am from Norway and don't understand everything 100%)
Nyizsa
erlendhg wrote:
What is calcalus?

Check this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral
But it is likely that you will still not understand everything. If you are younger than, say, 16, you may have never heard of this term. It is used in mathematical analysis, engineering and a lot of other fields. You may learn it in the university.
Lennon
Yeah, for engineers and physics mostly.
Chemists, biologists are safe. However, I did 3D calculus which is a fair tad more complex than 2D calculus. If you're intelligent enough you could apply it anywhere you find equations, but that's just not me.
Indyan
In India we have calculus in skool.
And I am pretty terrible in integration. Shocked