FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Computer won't route

steveadams617
Hi. We have 4 computers on our home network. 3 working fine. The 4th stopped routing to websites. The 4th computer can fileshare with other computers in the network and can access a webserver on another computer in the LAN. When I try to ping my no-ip.com address, it correctly resolves the ip address, but then I get 4 time outs.

The computer in question runs windows 2000 and was working fine until someone clicked the post link in the roommates section of craigslist.com. I tried specifying a dns server 192.168.2.1 and an IP address and default gateway. I tried restarting the machine. I tried restarting the wireless router AND the machine.

I also can't use ftp from the 4th machine.

Anybody have any places I could start trouble shooting?

Thanks
Steve
longjack
steveadams617 wrote:
When I try to ping my no-ip.com address, it correctly resolves the ip address, but then I get 4 time outs.

Did you try typing in the numerical IP address of the no-ip.com.

Or does typing in 64.233.161.147 in the address bar bring you to google?

Quote:
I tried specifying a dns server 192.168.2.1

The router should get DNS from the ISP by itself if set for a DHCP connection, or do you have a static IP?

Do you know what the DNS servers are for your ISP ??

Reset the IP address on #4 to get an IP automatically and then click START -> RUN ->
type in 'cmd" in the box, then, at the dos prompt type 'ipconfig /all' (no quotes). What does it list for DNS servers? Are they the same as your ISP.

While you're there, ping the google numerical IP, then the www.google.com address and see what happens.

If you can ping from the command line it's a browser problem.

Quote:
I also can't use ftp from the 4th machine.

Lanside or internet side?

Quote:
Anybody have any places I could start trouble shooting?

DNS set correctly ? - If numerical pings work but domain names don't.
A hosts file attack? - Look at \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts with a text editor. If you can ping the numerical IP from the command it may be this.
Browser config change? - Did something / somebody proxy a browser or install a firewall. Check the windows firewall, double check the proxy setting in IE and try another browser.

Let me know, maybe I'll think of something else in the meantime.

longjack
corey
I've got to support trying the hosts file change theory or firewall rule change. Do you have a software firewall? Or a program like Peerguardian?
steveadams617
Thanks for the help so far:

1) trying to ping 64.233.161.147 or typing http://64.233.161.147 into the browser gets a request times out.

2) hosts file only has one uncommented line which looks okay to me:
127.0.0.1 localhost

3) We have a wireless router. I was under the impression that the DNS that matches the ISP should be stored there and that the computers in the network went to 192.168.2.1 for their DNS. That's the way it works on the

4) Properties for TCP/IP on the wireless adapter local area connection are set for getting DNS automatically and to get IP address automatically.

5) Results of ipconfig /all as follows:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : saw
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.E)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-88-4B-C2-2D

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:57:50 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 10:57:50 AM
steveadams617
Back in the old days of dial up, if things got really bad I could delete and re-install dialup networking and that sometimes fixed the problems. Is there an equivalent with networking?
steveadams617
There is no software firewall. I installed FireFox 1.5 and chose do not import anything. It can't route either.
Animal
steveadams617 wrote:
There is no software firewall.

Is the computer running Windows XP SP2? If so, you'll need to disable the built-in firewall too.
steveadams617
Good thought, but it's Win 2000 without firewall.
longjack
steveadams617 wrote:
Back in the old days of dial up, if things got really bad I could delete and re-install dialup networking and that sometimes fixed the problems. Is there an equivalent with networking?

Open Control Panel. Click -> Internet Options -> Connections.

Add a dial up connection if you have a modem in the computer. It's probably a good idea to make sure it's a manual connection, never dial a connection, and that you need to enter a password before it connects.

P.S. I have an old SMC router with a serial port that I have an external modem attached to. I use for my network that when my DSL goes down. You do have to make a temporary gateway change, but I use a bat file for that.

While you're in the internet options / connection dialog, try running the setup wizard again. It's the top right button. Tell it you're connecting through a LAN.

All your other machines are going through the same router with no problems, correct?

I'm running 2000 on this machine, so if you have a specific question I can look at it.

longjack
steveadams617
I had a ghost of the computer in question before I installed the wireless network card. I ran norton ghost and restored the partition and reinstalled the D-link wireless card. Same thing: connection to the LAN but wouldn't route.

I stuck in a regular network card and plugged in the cable and everything is fine. Does this prove that it's a hardware issue? Does it make sense that the hardware would be able to fileshare and do http over the LAN but not get to the internet?

Hmmmmm......
harwelltx
Try to ping 192.168.2.1 to see if you can at least see the router.
harwelltx
Go to the command prompt and run ROUTE PRINT and post the results.
longjack
steveadams617 wrote:
I stuck in a regular network card and plugged in the cable and everything is fine. Does this prove that it's a hardware issue? Does it make sense that the hardware would be able to fileshare and do http over the LAN but not get to the internet?

It's possible if the wireless card doesn't know where to go to get to the internet, or if the router is set to filter or block the wireless's access. That wouldn't afffect local LAN traffic.

Are the other computers that are getting to the internet wired or wireless ?

Did you run the setup wizard from control panel -> internet options -> connections again?
In the wireless router, via the web interface, can you find any setting that could possibly be blocking this wireless's mac address or IP from getting through port 80 ??

In Control Panel -> Network and Dial up Connections there is an Menu item named Advanced in the top menu bar. Under that menu there is an Advanced Settings item. When you click on that and the Adaptors and Bindings dialog comes up, where is the wireless connection listed, and is the local area connection (which would have been the wired card) still being listed?

From what you've described I think that the problem is at the wireless router, but I would run the Internet setup wizard first.

longjack
harwelltx
You are receiving an IP address from the router via DHCP so your MAC is not blocked by the router.