FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help with linux

sanstitre1
Hello
I have a small problem:
I have a P III computer opeating with win98 and I want to install a linux distribution ; my hard drive is 10GB divided into 6.8 GB (fat32) for windows and 130MB for swap and 2.2GB (ext3) previously used dor linux redhat7.2
which linux destribution whould you advice me to install?
and does any one know how can I use my USB modem (urmet (made in italy)) that i've not found linux driver
finally doesany one have links that describe easly the way to share internet connection between Win XP (passerelle) and linux

Thanks a lot
Nyizsa
I'm not really familiar with all the distros, but go for something small (Damn small), but it's up to you.
For the USB modem, it is a great problem in Linux. The only thing you can do is search for a driver specifically for your modem's chipset. (Just include the vendor ID and the product ID in the search string.) If you can find a driver this way, you are good to go - otherwise say hello to internet...
In bocca del lupo!
Animal
sanstitre1 wrote:
I have a P III computer opeating with win98 and I want to install a linux distribution ; my hard drive is 10GB divided into 6.8 GB (fat32) for windows and 130MB for swap and 2.2GB (ext3) previously used dor linux redhat7.2
which linux destribution whould you advice me to install?

Linux distibutions on the whole are much lighter in terms of system resources than WindowsXP, so with that hardware, you could probably run a lot of the distributions without any problems. I currently use Ubuntu and find it very user-friendly, although it's not the lightest distro available. If you want speed and a light install, DSL (Damn Small Linux) is the smallest distro I know of, but it's got many less features than the likes of SuSe and Ubuntu. I'd recommend you try out a few Live distros to see which one you like best (Live distros run MUCH slower than installed versions) and install a full version of it. If you don't like it, you've not lost anything.

sanstitre1 wrote:
and does any one know how can I use my USB modem (urmet (made in italy)) that i've not found linux driver
finally doesany one have links that describe easly the way to share internet connection between Win XP (passerelle) and linux

You are actually more likely to be able to run an external modem than an internal "Win Modem" that is software driven. Again, try it out possibly with a live distro and if it doesn't work, you could maybe search for a generic driver. These are available, you just need to hunt around.

Hope this helps.
sanstitre1
thanks you for your answers

I tried knoppix and whax Live cd but the problem is that my pc RAM is only 128MB
Yesterday I tried to install a new distro from a live cd (new distro) but it require more than 2.2GB space!
when I restarted my PC, I have no think only the word "grub"and nothing else so I tried today to install whax from the live cd but it is blocked on 83% from 4hours!!!!!! Crying or Very sad

may be I shoud plug out my pc and boot it with the redhat7.2 install cd ... I will wait one hour and if it is still on 83% I will do that
Animal
Yeah - GRUB is the boot manager that works with Linux - this is what would let you boot either Linux or Windows if you're running a dual boot system.

In GRUB can you select an operating system? It might be waiting for an input. If you select your Linux install and it doesn't work, it's likely that it's not installed properly. However, a full Linux distro is not unusual if it needs 2Gb space for an install. Running a Live CD will be pretty slow on a machine with only 128Mb RAM - I'd suggest you use a proper install version. To get the most out of it, you really need the 2Gb space.

If you do try another distro, just reformat your Linux partition and install it there - this should help fix your problem, however, I would suggest you give it a 2Gb install. If not, you'll end up having to use a version of Linux with very few features and a very limited amount of space in which to install programs and keep documents.
bboy_nycb
Knoppix is a good distro for a start.
Before installing it on your hard drive, check all your hardware devices (vendor ID, and so on )
running a console in you will type some commands like lspci , dmesg during a Knoppix Live session.
You will find good tutorials on the internet.
This method will prevent you from having any trouble with compatibility.
sanstitre1
Finally I ve plugged it off and re installed redhat 7.2 (it also configured GRUB)
and All is now right

I can no access to my win98 partition

for the distrubition I ask you if you know one with this feature:
- less than 1.5GB required
- graphic mode (of course)
- easy configuration for network with an XP pc and easy share of internet access from this pc (the linux connect from a PC with win XP)
- fast

Thanks a lot
root
Just get Gentoo, it's the fasted distro around and you don't have to deal with any Ubuntu crap. Sure, Gentoo takes patience to install, but by putting in the time to install your OS you will learn about the OS and how it works. It will also feel more rewarding once you have it installed Razz
Dino
try debian, mandrake 10 or slackware, some BSD like FreeBSD or unix like BSDEVIANT, if you are new user try mandrake
sanstitre1
thank you but I just need to know :
- how much disk space these disto require ( install with graphic mode, php mysql server, html/php editor , the gimp,open office2)
root
all of those apps should be less then a gig, open office would definitely take the most space of the applications you have listed. (i am excluding and databases you create in sql)