FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pop-punk, the worst thing to happen to music in loooong time

frankjack
When will they stop singing through their noses?
elector
What bands or musicians you put in this category? Placebo maybe?
shr3dd
blink 182, green day, simple plan, good charlotte, all of those sh*t bands.

they f*ckin suck.
tingkagol
let's face it... PUNK always sucked anyway.
bkatz
frankjack wrote:

AGREE X100000000000000!!!! Laughing

finally someone with common sense: emo/punk is a cheap imitation of goth, and the music sounds horrible...
Insanity
Well its all subjective.

Just out of curiosity, what type of music do you anti-pop punk people like?
tingkagol
I bet a trillion bucks these idiots will hate their favorite "underground" punk bands once they hit the mainstream. These punk groupies are the worst stereotypes of all, i tell ya.
Meretenacity
As a young rocker, i was in quite a few punk/hardcore bands, and we understood punk to be an attitude of intelligent rebellion without boundries. This rebbellion could include such things as being incredibly polite while looking menacing to destroy stereotypes, or by dressing nice when we performed more questionable activities. Punk was a way for young people to communicate feelings with each other.

That has changed. Now punk is a brand. Punk is just another word the media are using to sell copies of watered down angsty whining rock.

Depending on what you call punk, you might consider many diffrent bands punk, but i'll name a few that seem to have merit still.

Bad Brains, Black flag, Crass, Minorr Threat, Subhumans, etc.

But the new 'punk' is seldom even rock and roll... it's techno and metal and things that defy the previous generations preconceptions of what music is.

So wipe off the eyeliner and quit snivvling emo-kid... go out and change the world.
SunburnedCactus
Insanity wrote:
Well its all subjective.

Just out of curiosity, what type of music do you anti-pop punk people like?

Good music. Laughing
Caxius
why dont you like this kind of music?
Confused
gnomme
placebo are cool!! Everyone have the right to like all tipes of music!!
Shrapnel
I don't define punk rock as blink 182,whatever yellowcard....It isn't punk rock, it is people that barily know how to play an instrumint that dresses like they came out of a bucket of black eyeshadow.

They have ruined the whole meaning, i cannot listen to the radio and hear the dredful music. The young people of today have no personality enough to listen to what they really like, and go with the other 80 percent of the nation. I myself like the roots of classial rock stretching into oler punk and newer GOOD punk.

And emo music, why live your life emo and cry all day and listen to music about breaking up and other redicolus reasons to wear eyeliner and listen to music that takes no talent to play.

Any music nowdays could be played by anyone, i.e. all of the new punk pop. No effor is made like the great led zeppelin they put effort to make song hard to play.

Rex
crazedjill
tingkagol wrote:
let's face it... PUNK always sucked anyway.
None of those bands are punk. Not true punk anyways, some may call them pop-punk, or whatever.

Real punk is awesome. Cool

And I like Green Day, the older stuff at least. That was good stuff.
However, as for bands like Simple Plan, Good Charlotte and Sum 41, yes, they do all suck.
strfry
Bah! Young'uns! What's wrong with them? Dontcha know the only proper music is Bluegrass at a proper ho-down? Sheesh... Kids...
quinman22
Now I could talk forever on how bad the new music that they play on the radio can be these days, but it's a waste of my time. I don't like simple plan because they're old enough to get jobs and live on their own, but they sing about problems with their fathers to sell records. The lead singer is terrible because he adds a little nasally tone and it's probably because he's trying to sound like a kid or something. But bands like alkaline trio are good because they sing about funny stuff. and they sing pretty good.
madsencarl
Anything even remotely related to the words "goth", "emo" or "punk" should be burnt to ashes, then be eaten by the Cookie Monster, s**t out, then burnt again, before being flushed down the toilet.
frankjack
but that's rubbish - quality is quality....

so what does an anti pop punk person like, well bits of real punk, someone mentioned black flag; classic rock from hendrix onwards, the best indie bands, including the roses, primal scream, the beta band; teh best reggae, including the abysinians (sp?), the best funk, from sly and the family outwards; hip-hop, from public enemy to (some) kanye west (although he can be pretty objectional); techno - from detroit; house; especially from chicago - has anyone listened to ron hardy's 1980's music box set's - oh my god (try http://www.deephousepage.com/), soul, from marvin gaye to mary j....... the list could go on, it doesn't matter what genre, jazz, blues, thrash etc, it just has to be real, and GOOD.

fijate.
blackheart
bkatz wrote:
frankjack wrote:

AGREE X100000000000000!!!! Laughing

finally someone with common sense: emo/punk is a cheap imitation of goth, and the music sounds horrible...

Excuse me?
Do you know what punk is - or are you just another brain-washed bopper following the charts?
If a punk is singing through their nose, then they aren;t punk, they are emo.
Emo is not punk, punk is not emo. There is no such thing as punk-emo, only emo.

Emo is a lame immation of both goth and punk at once.

I am punk. (I have all respect in the world for goths by the way, but we make up two completely separate genres.
How the hell could we be a cheap immitation of you? I mean, punk formed in the 50's/60's from a combination of black r'n'b and white classic rock - as teen-agers first started to really rebel against their parents - this new punk/grunge music was just the thing to go against any parents taste Very Happy).

Anyway - being punk - here are a random *few* of the bands I listen to:

Dropkick Murphys
Ramones
Stooges
Ruby's Grace
The Velvet Underground
TSOL
The Damned
Stiff Little Fingers
Rancid
Op. Ivy
Anti-Flag
New York Dolls
Jane's Addiction
Fugazi
Led Zepplin
The Clash
The Sonics
Mars Volta
International Noise Conspiracy
Joan Jett
(Blackhearts)
INXS
Goldfinger
Misfits
Rezillos
NOFX
Johnny Diesel and the Injectors
Violent Femmes
Guns'n'Roses
Lemon Heads
Sublime
Left-over Crack
The Living End
Black-Flag
Dead Kennedy's
Electric Six
Jimi Hendrix
R.E.M.
The Smiths
Minor Threat
Queen
Buzzcock
Sweet
Faith No More
Gun Club
The B-52's
AC/DC
Nirvana
U.S. Bombs (and not the Hunns)
Reel Big Fish
Cold Chisel
Frank Sinatra
Deep Purple

(some are rock, not punk, but most is punk... not one is emo or shitty pop-punk... and Frankie's thrown in there too)

Listen to some real punk - not just the stuff that's pumped out as punk that isn't. Do your research.

-----------------------------

Shrapnel and Meretenacity – I really like you

Crazedjill – I like you also... except that you listen to GreenDay – but I guess we are all allowed one mortal sin.

Frankjack – you’re good.

Go burn in hell madsencarl.
I don't like rnb or techno, for instance, but I still respect people's right to like it, and the people who listen to it - if they listen to stuff I can see is top qual in it's own right.

----------------------------------------

tingkagol wrote:
I bet a trillion bucks these idiots will hate their favorite "underground" punk bands once they hit the mainstream. These punk groupies are the worst stereotypes of all, i tell ya.

We don't like the finished product of the music any less, we simply hate the fact that people we have respected and looked-up to may have sold-out and joined the main-stream.

Punk isn't just about the music, it's about respect. I don't want to listen to computer-generated or fake music - no matter how good it sounds. You can't be a hypocritical rocker.
You gotta stick to your values.

We don't stereotype ourselves - that's just biggots like you labelling us.

---------------------------------------

Respect.

=> Jess Black
jeremoi
Though most of the time puck pop sucks balls, wouldn't you say at times it can be well done and/or it can act as a gateway gengre to real/better punk?
PuNGS
I do not think that Placebo is punk. They have their own style, something noisy, and I like it a lot.

Some bands I really hate are Blink 182, Simple Plan and all emo bands. Man I cannot stand a second listening emo...
blackheart
jeremoi wrote:
Though most of the time puck pop sucks balls, wouldn't you say at times it can be well done and/or it can act as a gateway gengre to real/better punk?

no, no i wouldn't.
morat
blackheart wrote:

We don't stereotype ourselves - that's just biggots like you labelling us.

=> Jess Black[/b]

gotta aggree with what your saying, and hey you have some sensible taste in music Smile

i myself grew up at the tail end of the 'punk' era (as in i was born in 67), and though i was heavily influenced by the 70's punk bands i grew to develop a more goth taste to life, enjoying their dark overtones while maintaining a basic respect for other forms of music and attidtudes

yeh i do still listen to some dead kennedies, still loove the stooges and the velvets, have an extensive floyd and zeppelin collection that sits happily beside my bauhaus andsome newer stuff like radiohead and the pumkins

this is and always has been a way of life, we might no longer look the part by you better believe we feel it
JHayakawa
Your all idiots for haranguing punk music like that. I mean siriously, who let you decide what music was good or not. There is nothing wrong with Panic! At The Disco or Green Day, they are both amazing bands. Here's a summary of recurring themes in the pop music you listen to.

The club
Booty
Boy/girlfriend
Breakup
The hood
Playa

To name a few. And don't even get me started on all the beats product placement! I mean, why would respected artists endorse second rate headphones like that? There are better things out there! Now know that there is no "right" or "wrong" taste in music, so don't place value judgements on it like "good" or "bad". There is only what you happen to like. I happen to like punk, you happen to like pop. So that's the end of it. You're all afraid of trying new things.
Ankhanu
I'm gonna blow your mind here JHayakawa (welcome to the forum, by the way); you're responding to a decade-old thread with brand new indigence... well played Wink

You're making certain assumptions about the music that those long-gone users who created and participated in the thread that may well not be correct. I mean, I'm not a fan of pop-punk in general (though I do listen to some), but that doesn't mean that modern pop is my thing, nor does it mean that I don't try new things (of which pop-punk, being about 20 years old itself could hardly be considered). Personally, I prefer my punk more in the classic or hardcore vein.
JHayakawa
Thank you! To tell the truth, I signed up just to reply to this thread.