FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone heard about the no-tabbing laws they want to start

xeroed
There was a lawsuit going on about online lyrics and tabbing. They supposedly want to jail webmasters of sites who post tabs, it was weird because the other day I was searching for tabs and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't connect to my tabsite.

seriously though is this going a bit far? I mean as long as you aren't copying out of an actual tab book its your own interpratation, so technically it should belong to you... right?
althalus
I don't see how having tabs or lyrics displayed on websites could casuse the bands (or their labels, I guess) to lose money. Because that's what it's about, isn't it? The money..

Personally, if I were an artist of that caliber (or ay caliber) and fans wanted to play my songs, or look up lyrics... That'd just be great!

Jailing webmasters over this.. Wtf? Confused
hive
This is not weird, this is ridiculous!
Xeroed, can you give us some link about that?
Is that is the US? Shocked
xeroed
http://www.taboramaforum.com/index.php?act=ST&f=43&t=82748

this is where I got my information from...

I did a bit of searching around and a couple places said it was only the UK I was hoping to get a bit of info here..
BBS published something on the matter: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

it looks to be mostly the same I just freaked out because the site that I go to for my tabs is, as far as I know american run and it was no longer around... granted I havn't been there in awhile so it could be unrelated or the site could be down but when I go to mxtabs.net (my normal tabsource) I get redirected... so yeah if you find more keep me posted too
tingkagol
Probably a movement caused by tight-ass bands like Metallica. I'll give them my terms... they shall legalize unmonitored distribution of mp3s if they ban tablatures/lyrics. That would be a sensical bargain.
hodgenpodg
that sounds like a good deal to me...i noticed that mxtabs.net was down too and it happened kinda recently because like a month ago i was gettin bass tabs from there
ddukki
They've cut off the tab supply from mxtabs.net already with a heavy lawsuit threat. That was my tab source for the longest time. It's a real pain, but I can kind of see where they're coming from.

If people get tabs online, that's basically infringing on their copyrights for the sheet music and the music in general. They're not directly losing money from the tabbing, but the companies that sell the sheet music are, and that's where the lawsuits are coming from.
xeroed
Well yeah I can see where they are coming from but there are a couple reasons I think tabbing is OK

first and for more is that its your own representation of the works, its like how can they fault you for making your own "sheet music" book and giving it away? cause thats what tabbing really is, unless you are taking their music and copying it directly to the website it isn't stealing anything

and second, their sheet music books just caust way too much! its rediculous to spend that much money on song sheets for one thing... if they want to compete why don't they lower their prices?
troyinator
Tabs are bad! Once I download a tab, there's absolutely no reason to listen to the music anymore, because when I play on my non-existant guitar, it sounds just like the song.

</sarcasm>
xeroed
troyinator wrote:
Tabs are bad! Once I download a tab, there's absolutely no reason to listen to the music anymore, because when I play on my non-existant guitar, it sounds just like the song.

</sarcasm>

I umm actually thought you were serious for a second and almost freaked out ^_^

good point too... ^_^
psycosquirrel
If I was in an extremely popular band, I would not mind at all if people got lyrics or even illegally downloaded my music. I mean, any popular band nowadays can easily live a VERY VERY comfortable life for very little work... I believe music was made to be listened to, and therefore, should not cost $1 or more per song to download.
blackheart
Passed or not - I don't think it'd make a difference.

(Look at all the "free" music. There'd just be "free" tabs.)

Twisted Evil

Arrow Jess Black
xeroed
blackheart wrote:
Passed or not - I don't think it'd make a difference.

(Look at all the "free" music. There'd just be "free" tabs.)

:twisted:

:arrow: Jess Black

yeah but they are going after the people who host the sites with tabs and what not...

I wonder if you write tabs for yourself or your friends if they can attack that too? like they did with the music stealing and whatnot
snowboardalliance
I'm pretty mad that this caused MXTabs to shut itself down. Now all I have left are the low-quality Ultimate-guitar tabs. At least powertabs will be back online some time soon. Stupid government.
ericbobson
This is madness! Another example of the capitalist culture we live in! Why can't we go back to having music just to listen to and enjoy? What happened to that? Why do we have to worry about legality and licences and all that rubbish? Down with this mindless BEUROCRACY!
SunburnedCactus
snowboardalliance wrote:
I'm pretty mad that this caused MXTabs to shut itself down. Now all I have left are the low-quality Ultimate-guitar tabs. At least powertabs will be back online some time soon. Stupid government.

To be honest MXTabs was a joke really. Annoying about PowerTab, it seems unlikely that it will be back up for a while yet.

In any case it is an issue with the bands that actually sell their tabs in books, and so they might not be too pleased about people getting them off the web for free. I don't see why this should apply to other bands though, there are many who actually encourage people to download their tabs.