FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone make their own RPGs?

xeroed
Hey I was browsing the forum and I noticed that there were a couple posts about people who talked about making games back in July. I was wondering if people had made their own games and what the basic storyline was. I'm creating my own RPG and am currently in the process of typing up my histories and story line behind it. Its been an idea in my head for along time and its finally taking shape so I am getting kinda excited.

anyway people post here if you have your own RPGs please, then if you haven't already you can get some feedback about them... thats what I'm hoping for once mine is done
WebSiteGuru
Question for you! Since you are making your own games. What type of software are you using? I had been meaning to get into making a game, but doesn't know where to start. I seen a software out there that you can use. But I am sceptic about getting them.
mceejaydee
I used to create rpg's. Rpgmaker, but I quit. Got boring.
xeroed
I use RM2K or rm2k3 <-- I ran out of things I could do with rm2k and my friend had 2k3 I found out later that its not exactly 100% legal in the US later on, but my files had already been transfered and whatnot... >_<
Yjaxygames
I'm busy with a small RPG. I'm making it with Gamemaker.
xeroed
^ you'll have to let us know when its done so we can test it out for you ^_^
pawelsz
I used rm2k too Smile Good for start, and if you know how to use it, your game can be really fine Smile
Yjaxygames
xeroed wrote:
^ you'll have to let us know when its done so we can test it out for you ^_^

Maybe I'll do that, but the final version will be posted on this forum for sure.
Alein_Atryda_III
I used RPMXP because it didn't look too shabby and had Ruby scripting that could do alot. But I was playing around all the time.

Personally, I don't believe you will succeed in creating your RPG... It's much too much work(unless you spend years on making it or it will suck:p). Sorry, just my opinion.
Stella Vibes
I used to Use Rpgmaker,Sphere, a very early version of Gamemaker,3d Dungeon maker, and 3D Game Studio
But i've stopped because I moved on to music and want to do more professional looking games. 3D graphics i must do lol
Alein_Atryda_III
I always focused rather on story than on graphic, music etc. I stopped making my crappy game that would never look and behave as I wanted to(lol) and I am writing stories now. My current story has 60 A4 pages already and is just halfway through. I will finish it this summer probbably. But getting back to games(Very Happy) I am learning serious programming now so I might make games in future:D
Yjaxygames
Alein_Atryda_III wrote:
I used RPMXP because it didn't look too shabby and had Ruby scripting that could do alot. But I was playing around all the time.

Personally, I don't believe you will succeed in creating your RPG... It's much too much work(unless you spend years on making it or it will suck:p). Sorry, just my opinion.

Oh, but I'm pretty sure that I succeed. I don't know if the game is going to be good, but I will succeed it.
Alein_Atryda_III
How much of your game did you make already?

And you said small RPG... XD So well, small RPG you might finish, all right. Can you say more considering what it will be about? You know, like proloque.
xeroed
I agree you do need to spend along time on it... My RPG that I'm making has gone through so many different changes that it isn't hardly anything like it was orriginally I think I started it like 5-6 years ago as like a D&D before I even knew that you could make RPGs on the comp... and it still changes as what I beleive changes and whatnot..

I think the hardest thing about making the RPGs is like the menue systems and whatnot unless you use thier premade menues... but whatever... I wanted more then what they had so I am attempting to make my own menu..
Kael
Anyone ever hear of a little program called Player Worlds MMORPG creator?

Yes, I'm THAT Kael Very Happy
xeroed
Player Worlds MMORPG creator... that sounds really familiar, like ive heard about it on other forums... what is it and did you make it?!!
Blaster
My friend made one. Check it out. www.rinkinated.net
Dekar
You want to make your own RPG? Check out pkhack.fobby.net. It is an Earthbound hacking program. Perfectly Legal. I have seen some crazy rpg's there.
xeroed
Dekar wrote:
You want to make your own RPG? Check out pkhack.fobby.net. It is an Earthbound hacking program. Perfectly Legal. I have seen some crazy rpg's there.

looks cool but a bit complicated if you ask me... there seemed to be too many things you had to use to edit with, I still prefer RM2k3
masterevil
dont use programs such as Rpgmaker, they dont give you much freedom.
Use c++, do exactly what you want to.

I'm working on a RPG. I havent entitled it yet, it isnt going to give you much freedom in the game but everything starts bad.

in c++ you can only make text based rpgs(you can make 2D rpgs but it would be so hard), you need to learn either DirectX or OpenGL. I reccomend DirectX. This is the real way to make games like fallout, arcanum, planescape torement, Baldurs gate etc.
Kael
[quote="masterevil"]
in c++ you can only make text based rpgs(you can make 2D rpgs but it would be so hard), you need to learn either DirectX or OpenGL.quote]

So untrue. C++ is OOP. There are even wrappers that include the PSX API.

I have to say this:
I used to be a BIG C++ advocate. I thought everything else sucked....... ESPECIALLY VB. Over time, and with experience and trial and error, I learned that there is one common link between all OOP languages.

Your language choice doesnt matter as much as your skill. A talented coder can make his apps do whatever he wants....... no matter what language he chooses.
masterevil
dont think so... You cannot do what a person does with DirectX with c++.
Maybe you can but... isnt it so hard? i searched for tutorials (making games using c++) But all i see was 2d games.
I dont know anything about 3d programming in c++. Never heard of it. But even if it exists, directx is always updated (10.0 will be released with Vista)
s43ros
I know that a few of my friends are designing RPGs now and hope to go to game design school in the fall. I thinkthey are using RPG maker, and Game maker
xeroed
masterevil wrote:
dont use programs such as Rpgmaker, they dont give you much freedom.
Use c++, do exactly what you want to.

What about us kids who just don't have the time to learn C ++ ? I'm tryint to survive highschool... to be fair I'll agree that RPG maker does limit you, but I totally gutted it and am using it for the world maps and the variables almost exclusively <-- reason I had to upgrade to 2003, as 2000 didn't have enough variables

I would love to learn C++ and DirectX, alas I have too little time, what with making websites, being an angsty teenager and trying to just get my stupid homework done ^_~
masterevil
well, i hate to say that but, if you want to create a "good" game, you must do your stupid homeworks first. I'm working on a text based RPG (sixth version released:D)
You may not want to get involved in creating "real" rpgs, thats your choice. You may just have your job (which is not about PC games) and do it for fun but it's more than just fun for me.

<hr>
http://rapidshare.de/files/11346282/0.0.6.rar.html
My rpg's 0.0.6 version. i'm trying to add a inventory right now.
Its text based but before i use DirectX, i need to learn how things work.
It isnt RPG at all, i know that too but i'm gonna add a city. soon. after i add inventory.