FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Downtime Notification

SoftStag
I have been using Frihost for about 3 months and have been very happy with it. Recently, however, there has been some downtime. I understand that problems happen etc. and I'm not complaining. However, I would like to be informed when there is a problem, not find out about it a few days later when I check the forums, or someone emails a complaint to me.

My suggestion is that in the event of downtime, all affected users are emailed to be informed when it is identified, and again when it is resolved. This way we will have notification. Also, if we can be emailed of any planned downtime in advance this will help greatly.

I hope you take my suggestion seriously, and not as a complaint about uptime; which it is not.
BlackSkad
How would you like to know which users are on a server while it's down? Unless Bondings has a list at home with all users, he can email everyone. (Emailing manualy wouldn't be an option, so if both servers are down, the problem is even worse) And such a mass-email-action takes a lot of bandwith.

I recon it would be nice to be informed about a downtime, but what use does it have? You can't fix the server. You can't post a message on your site that the server is down, because no-one can see it. Emailing your visitors isn't an option either, as you don't know who's visiting your site (could be anyone). We - and our visitors - just have to live with it.

So, imho, I don't think this will ever happen... Sad

BlackSkad
SgtGarcia
It would be a nice feature, too bad you need some kind of backup server to make this ever work.
SoftStag
This is about being informed, not about having a backup service. If you have ever managed any project, then you will know that it is always best to be informed of issues as early as possible.

I got a couple of emails from people saying that they couldn't get on to my website. I could not answer them, because I wasn't aware of the issue myself.

If there is a big problem, I can switch my website to my PC at home. I don't really have sufficient bandwidth, but I can do it and it's better than nothing. Other people may have other backup solutions if they want to use it. Some people may just want to mail their users to let them know there is a problem.

I appreciate that mass mailing can take up a lot of bandwidth. All it takes is a small mail to all users saying Server X is down, we think this it the problem and hope to have it fixed in such a time.
shaulhadar
TRy to check if all of your gear is in place.....maybe it's only a hardware problem...
Daniel15
Just sign up for a service like www.uppanel.com

They check your site every 30 minutes, and send you an email if your site is down. It's a free service.
SoftStag
Thanks daniel15, that's solved my problem! Very Happy
yupeng
My hosting is running very well
rvec
isn't it possible to show some kind of message on frihost.com? Just to check if the server is down or it's my foult. Only a little green or red sign would work. And I am sure just to ping the server won't take a lot of bandwith or programing
saiyeek
daniel15 wrote:

They check your site every 30 minutes, and send you an email if your site is down. It's a free service.

Why not http://www.siteuptime.com
Marston
Code:
<?
   // How long have we been awake?
   $data = shell_exec('uptime');
   $uptime = explode(' up ', $data);
   $uptime = explode(',', $uptime[1]);
   $uptime = $uptime[0].', '.$uptime[1];

echo ('Site Uptime: '.$uptime.'');
?>
Quick code to see if your site has been down recently, unfortunatley, you can't check from a remote website...
SoftStag
Marston wrote:
Code:
<?
   // How long have we been awake?
   $data = shell_exec('uptime');
   $uptime = explode(' up ', $data);
   $uptime = explode(',', $uptime[1]);
   $uptime = $uptime[0].', '.$uptime[1];

echo ('Site Uptime: '.$uptime.'');
?>
Quick code to see if your site has been down recently, unfortunatley, you can't check from a remote website...

Sounds interesting, although I don't fully understand....
Marston
It prints out something like this "Site Uptime: 13 days, 2:40"
Daniel15
saiyeek wrote:
daniel15 wrote:

Why not http://www.siteuptime.com

I chose upPanel because they used to have checks available every 10 minutes (but now it's 30 minutes, the same as SiteUptime. You need to pay to get more frequent intervals).

Also, the image that you put on your site says the uptime in it, instead of just a generic monitored image. For example, this is one of my sites' upPanel images:
[img]http://uppanel.com/showimg?3944[/img]
(from http://www.dansoftaustralia.net/ )

Quote:
It prints out something like this "Site Uptime: 13 days, 2:40"

I believe that's available directly from DirectAdmin, in the 'System Information' section.