FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Merge the 2 computer forums

babumuchhala
Please Please Please merge the Computer software and hardware & Computer problems and supportdo that. They do overlap so much that even it confuses a Senior memeber like me.

Take a look at this post of mine "Converting .rm to .mp3" Its valid in both forums. Very Confusing.

And maybe create a seperate forum for Hardware & Software. I know its gonna be a very tedious task didviding the two, but comeon there are enough mods to do that. Bondings all u need to do is merge and create the 2 forums.

PLEASE do it. Please.
Nutorious
Yer that could just be a general computer forum, i think tahts not a bad idea
SunburnedCactus
That's going to be a pretty big forum though.
babumuchhala
I too wouldnt mind a General Computer Forum, but it would be toooooooo big. Maybe 2 pages of topics added everyday and posting in it literally imposssible. Thats why i suggested "Softwares" & "Hardwares" be seperated.
SoftStag
I say merge the 2. It would be a lot easier for most people.
Animal
I don't think it necessarily has to be changed. If you really wanted to, making a "hardware" and "software" forum would be the best idea. One single forum would be very difficult to keep on top of from a user's point of view with several pages of unread threads each day.

I don't think there's anything wrong with how it is now though.

And that's my $0.02
simplyw00x
The Software would be far larger. I'm in favour of merging them as it is confusing and unnecessary to keep them both. Hardware/Software is even more of an arbitrary distinction though.
chennai
babumuchhala wrote:
Please Please Please merge the Computer software and hardware & Computer problems and supportdo that. They do overlap so much that even it confuses a Senior memeber like me.

Take a look at this post of mine "Converting .rm to .mp3" Its valid in both forums. Very Confusing.

And maybe create a seperate forum for Hardware & Software. I know its gonna be a very tedious task didviding the two, but comeon there are enough mods to do that. Bondings all u need to do is merge and create the 2 forums.

PLEASE do it. Please.
I AGREE WITH YOU simplyw00x
babumuchhala
i really hope bondings get a little time breake from his studies and does this.

Please bondings wont even take 2 minutes of your.
ocalhoun
Or at least move the two close together. That wouldn't be so bad, would it?
DX-Blog
Hardware
Software

would do the job, if software would be too much to handle then seperate it in:
OS Related
System security and misc. software

Would be either 2 forums like it is now or 3 forums, giving 1 extra. The 2 way option would be enough, seeing as to how this community isn't on an extreme size or anything yet.
yjwong
My two cents here, it would be like:

Computer - Category
--Software
--Hardware
--Problems and Support
babumuchhala
yjwong wrote:
My two cents here, it would be like:

Computer - Category
--Software
--Hardware
--Problems and Support
Nope then we will have to have sub forums in Problem & Support for Software & Hardware, as there already exists a forum with the name.

Thats why on Softwares & Hardwares will be ideal.

So Bondings, on this weekend PLEASE PLEASE do these and improve your great Community. Will just take a minute and rest of the sorting can be done by your staff Very Happy
Donutey
I'm not sure what should be done, but both problems and support and computer hardware and software have too many stickies/announcements and they are generally getting disorganized...
snowboardalliance
I'm all for a redo to make it computer hardware and software separate. That can make it so it's not a huge forum and it is better organized
nam_siddharth
ocalhoun wrote:
Or at least move the two close together. That wouldn't be so bad, would it?

I agree. but, it will better, if you merge them. Present system creates a lot of confusion.
theeto
hahaha is very funny
SunburnedCactus
theeto wrote:
hahaha is very funny

Hahaha? Is this some new show, or a comedian with a laughable name? Wink
Animal
SunburnedCactus wrote:
Hahaha? Is this some new show, or a comedian with a laughable name? Wink

Hehehe.... that is very funny!

I wonder if theeto is trying to up his points to get free hosting? I don't hold out much hope with posts like that!

Laughing
WebSiteGuru
I think breaking it down to 'Hardware' and then the other 'Software' is a good idea. It would separate the 2 problems. One for hardware related problem the other is for software related problem.
Animal
WebSiteGuru wrote:
I think breaking it down to 'Hardware' and then the other 'Software' is a good idea. It would separate the 2 problems. One for hardware related problem the other is for software related problem.

But again, you still have a problem with confusion - how does a user know what the problem is? In some circumstances, hardware or software could be causing the problem.

I think it's ok as it is to be honest - people wanting to discuss software issues or wanting to ask for help for a specific program use the Software & Hardware forum, where people with problems looking for help with their computers use the Computer Support Forum. I'm sure the mods are quite flexible as to what they will and won't allow in each forum.

I suspect that if the forums were split into Software/Hardware, the mods would never be finished moving posts from forum to forum.

I'm sure it was a smart man who once said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
WebSiteGuru
Animal wrote:
WebSiteGuru wrote:

But again, you still have a problem with confusion - how does a user know what the problem is? In some circumstances, hardware or software could be causing the problem.

I think it's ok as it is to be honest - people wanting to discuss software issues or wanting to ask for help for a specific program use the Software & Hardware forum, where people with problems looking for help with their computers use the Computer Support Forum. I'm sure the mods are quite flexible as to what they will and won't allow in each forum.

I suspect that if the forums were split into Software/Hardware, the mods would never be finished moving posts from forum to forum.

You may be right in this case. It doesnt really matter how you split it. People still be confused. I had seen it too manytime where subject already said one thing. But people still post other things. I too myself do that sometime. Not intentionally, but when I am not paying attention to the subject line.
nam_siddharth
Animal wrote:
WebSiteGuru wrote:

I know, the two forums are maid for different purpose, but you can see same topics in both forums. I think, moderators are also confused. So, it will be better for moderators too, to merge both forums.
SoftStag
One should be "PC Hardware and Software Discussion", the other "PC Hardware and Software Assistance".
WebSiteGuru
SoftStag wrote:
One should be "PC Hardware and Software Discussion", the other "PC Hardware and Software Assistance".

But sometime people get confused. That is why there are posts that is the same. Not unless the post from one forum had been moved by the moderators, and left it there as a trail.
SunburnedCactus
If you really wanted to categorise all the possible varieties of posts you would have to create a considerable number of sub-forums.
WebSiteGuru
SunburnedCactus wrote:
If you really wanted to categorise all the possible varieties of posts you would have to create a considerable number of sub-forums.

True, I would have to agree with you there.
SoftStag
WebSiteGuru wrote:
SoftStag wrote:

But sometime people get confused. That is why there are posts that is the same. Not unless the post from one forum had been moved by the moderators, and left it there as a trail.

Yes people do get confused, which is why I suggest one with the word "discussion" and the other with the word "assistance"; that way it should reduce confusion.
ocalhoun
SoftStag wrote:
Yes people do get confused, which is why I suggest one with the word "discussion" and the other with the word "assistance"; that way it should reduce confusion.

Except that by using big erudite words, it would further confuse thos who cannot fluently read English.