FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

MAC os X run on a PC?

Srs2388
I was just wondering if I went and got a MAC os X disk it I could uninstall windows and use it instead?
I have been wondering this.......and plus i'd like to see how MAC's are
Animal
Currently, you can't legally get a copy of MacOS X to run on a PC. There are apparently some hacked versions floating around on the web that you could use, but this is highly illegal.

Possibly in the not-too distant future (like after Jan 10th) there will be a version that will run since Mac have moved to Intel Chip architecture and the software might work, but whether Apple sell the software to non-apple hardware owners is still an unanswered question.
JayBee
you can uninstall windows but you must install linux and QEMU (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ossupport.html), then you will be able to boot to Mac OS X from linux via QEMU
I thing it will be slow, because of diferents of PowerPC and x86 architectures
(mac has RISC processor and PC has CISC procesor)

But there is the reason tu uninstall Windows and use Mac OS X on x86 platform Smile
knux
actually if you partition your drive right you can run it in a dual boot that ive seen but its very buggy at the moment and the linux style is very slow that ive seen. but apple is talking about making a migration os that will overlap from mac to pc and vice versa. if they actually do release this though i could see it devastating windows os dramatically.
Animal
knux wrote:
actually if you partition your drive right you can run it in a dual boot that ive seen

Yeah, but that's probably using one of the illegally obtained copies from the web. A current copy of MacOS X will not run on PC hardware because it's not x86 compatible. The newer versions are x86 compatible because Mac are moving to Intel chips, but the software hasn't been released. So any copies you've "seen" run on a PC, partitioned or not, are totally illegal.
sodxcrom
Info is scattered all over so I compiled a list of working components that work in native mode (no Pear, or VMware).

Tested this it think there is more.

Fully working hardware list.
CPU SSE3
AMD 64 (venice)
Intel Prescot P4
Intel Celeron D

*SSE2 processors are not listed due to limited operation (certain apps will not work).

Chipsets
Intel 845
Intel 865
Intel 875
Intel 915
Intel 925
Nvidia Nforce 4 Ultra
VIA P4M266A
VIA K8M800

Video
Intel 900

Sound/Southbridge
ADI AD1985
C-Media USB Audio (no additional drivers required).
Intel ICH4
Intel ICH5
Intel ICH5R
Intel ICH6
Intel ICH6R (ATA only, no raid)
Realtek ALC860
Realtek ALC655
Realtek ALC850 (nForce Audio)(requires kext plist file edit)
Realtek ALC855
Sigmatel C-Major Audio (Dell 700m, copy over AppleAC97 kext from Darwin)
Sonica Theater (USB)
VIA VT8235

Ethernet
3Com 3c905
3Com 3c900 (10mbit only)
Broadcom BCM5705M (NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet)
Broadcom 440x 10/100
Intel 82547EI
Intel 82562EZ
Realtek 8100C
Realtek 8139
Realtek 8100C
SMC-1211TX (Recognized as RTL8139 [Realtek]
Surecom EP-320X-R 100/10/M

Drives/Acc
DVD burners
Pioneer DVD A07 Writer
NEC ND-3500AG

CD burners
LiteOn LTR-52327-S is recognized as burner

FireWire or 1394
Audigy Sound Card firewire
SIIG 3-port PCI card (Texas Instruments TSB12LV23)
VIA 6306 chipset (found on some Nforce boards)

BlueTooth
IOGear USB BlueTooth dongle
MSI pc2pc Bluetooth Dongle

Most compatible motherboards
Will be updated on occasion
Audio, video,and chipset (no definate networking, but easy to fix with a cheap card)
Intel
No video (or definate networking)
Intel

AMD will be added later. Basically, it takes an expensive board and processor.

The cheap setup is Celeron D with a budget board, together, they can be had for about $110. The cheapest board does not show up in the search (as well as a few others, not sure why, I need to look into it). This BIOSTAR U8668 D, and the cheapest Celeron D processor you can find is the cheapest.

Complete desktop system (almost perfect…)
DELL DIMENSION 4600

Yes it is illegal to install osx on a pc but :

1: There no cd key for the mac osx
2: You can always get a legal copy from an apple store
3: No where in the net or the apple developer site that say you are not to install os x on a pc
Srs2388
sorry it took so long for me to reply,
thanks for the replies
I couldn't find my topic......
hmmm i dont think im going to even try it seen how there could be hardware issues, man...... i guess i'll have to buy one there sooo high lol then again i might see what hardware i have and such and uninstall windows/install linux then boot mac to it..... but I can't stand for the thing going even a tad bit slow =( oh well....
mine has a few uncompatable things also..... the cd burner and such..... then my processor might not work......... I have 2.4Ghz pentium 4
Kd527
There's a way to do it without the illegal VMWare, but it's hard to do it. I'm currently trying. Probably after this week, it will be available for Intel Macs, but it would require hacking to make it run on just any PC.
fayettemat
Animal wrote:
knux wrote:
actually if you partition your drive right you can run it in a dual boot that ive seen

Yeah, but that's probably using one of the illegally obtained copies from the web. A current copy of MacOS X will not run on PC hardware because it's not x86 compatible. The newer versions are x86 compatible because Mac are moving to Intel chips, but the software hasn't been released. So any copies you've "seen" run on a PC, partitioned or not, are totally illegal.

my Tiger 10.4.x disk is universal and the disk we downloaded (Apple Devopler Teacher Razz) is universal but im not giving you were to get it cause that'd be illegal
cheeta
@sodxcrom

nice info...
Srs2388
I'm thinking about getting this old laptop from my cousin (he dosn't use it ever) it has a ton wrong with it and maybe aquire what macs need to run and legally put it on the laptop
i wish mac could run legally on a PC
but if anyone gets it running please do tell me what you did
sodxcrom
fayettemat wrote:
Animal wrote:
knux wrote:

my Tiger 10.4.x disk is universal and the disk we downloaded (Apple Devopler Teacher Razz) is universal but im not giving you were to get it cause that'd be illegal

hahaha i have got that too like he said not gonna tell you where...lol.anyways the new macbook pro looks good,i got the feel today and yes it is more powerful then the old one...well it is good to be an apple reseller,can always get the new stuff to test. if any off you guys want any help with any mac problems just ask..i am here to help.
sodxcrom
cheeta wrote:
@sodxcrom

nice info...

thanks cheeta..
sodxcrom
Srs2388 wrote:
I'm thinking about getting this old laptop from my cousin (he dosn't use it ever) it has a ton wrong with it and maybe aquire what macs need to run and legally put it on the laptop
i wish mac could run legally on a PC
but if anyone gets it running please do tell me what you did

i have gotten it to run on my pc but there are to many hardware incompatibilty..anyways i would like to say that even though the developer site or any apple site do not say anything at all about this matter it is still illegal to install it on your pc not sure why????..check alot on the web about this matter everybody seems to say it is illegal...well my advice just get a mac....a second hand one cost less then 250..go get it at ebay.":once you turn mac your never gonna turn back".
Srs2388
cool so now I know it CAN be done =D im going to buy OS X soon then back up all of my songs and backing tracks etc. put mac on a small hard drive (i''ll get one of those too" format then boot from the small drive
and it will load it?