FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

is white a color?

is white a color
white is not a color
11%
 11%  [ 10 ]
white is a color
38%
 38%  [ 33 ]
white comprises all the colors of light
38%
 38%  [ 33 ]
white is the color of oppression. you owe me money if you're white
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
I don't want to participate in this topic either and I'm a hypocrite for voting
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 86

gonzo
Don't let pesky things like facts prevent you from expressing your opinion!
Arno van Lumig
My teacher told me (so it really HAS to be true...) that white are all colors combined.

You can see that if you hold a prism in a ray of light, the white ray of light changes into multiple rays of different colored light.
SunburnedCactus
It's still a colour though. If someone said "What colour is this box" you would say "white", wouldn't you?
gonzo
SunburnedCactus wrote:
It's still a colour though. If someone said "What colour is this box" you would say "white", wouldn't you?

ahh sophistry
shaggly
Back when I was at school, which was only a "few" years ago, we were taught that Black and White were not colors, they were what was referred to as "backgrounds".

If you mix black and whites, you cannot make a color, only shades of grey. All of the "colors", when you mix them with other "colors", they make different colors. I think that was part of the difference, but it was a long time ago that it was explained to me....
Nutorious
They are actually ment to be shades, but i think it is a colour,
silentpark
hmm color don't exist...

well something seems to us colorfull if it doesn't obsorb light of a spefic frequent or of spefic parts of the light spectrum (in our case the wavelengts from 350 nm to around 750 nm)

so white.. means something that don't obsorb any light but reflect everything...

if you ask for an definition of colors for example in context to (any kind of) art ... i would say white is an color...
leat397
I think it is. In a relative sense, white is a colour. I think of the elememts in this world - White is not an originally emerged "colour"....

But this makes me come into another question, could we say something is dark? maybe no. there is nothing dark, but just 'not enough/ no light'

let's think..
silvermesh
people who say that white and black aren't colors are uptight art teachers who think art and psychology should be one in the same. Gray is just as much a color as blue.

mixing white and black doesn't produce other colors? thats because white and black are different shades of the SAME color. mixxing light red and dark red will also never produce blue. mixxing red and white makes pink.

this whole thing comes from the rainbow effect. art teachers think that the only colors that exist are those that you see when a white light hits a prism. that leaves out brown, too.
loserk
white is the main color...all the others except black are sub-colors...
bdoneck
this is a pretty dumb topic, white is a color, a better topic would be is black a color because black is the absense of color Wink
a.Bird
I don't mean to sound like a snob, however it intregues me to see so many opinions of the science behind color after devoting much of my life to the visual arts.

It is completely alright for one to theorize about color, but if one wishes to do so while completely dismissing the collective knowledge that has accumulated over many centuries, then one might as well dismiss everything else in one's life that is the manifestation of human learning and logic and live in a cave with a diet of poisonous berries and pine needles.

When speaking of color, you must consider the two ways in which it travels to our optics, subtractive and additive. Substractive color is characterized in paints, inks, etc. The primaries are traditionally known as Red Yellow and Blue, and mixing any three of these with your Crayola acrylic paint will result in any other possible color on the spectrum. Mixing all of your primaries equally actually results in Brown. Of course, computer printers don't use these primaries but instead, the CMY prims, Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. Mixing any of three colors will still provide you with any other color, however all colors equally mixed will provide you with a more true black. Weird huh?

However, when speaking of Additive color, you must understand that the primaries are completely different. Red, Green and Blue make up the basis for all additive color, which can be found in prisms, your television, etc. Your tv is actually made of many points of light, and each point of light is actually a group of the three primaries. If your tv is to be completely black, that is to say that no light is emitting from your television set. If you see all Red, only the Red light emitters are active. If you see YELLOW, you are actually seeing the result of both Red and Green emitters activating. Blue and Green will produce Cyan, and Red and Blue will produce your Magenta (the CMY primaries of subtractive color, yet the secondary colors of additive color). R + G + B = WHITE.

So in this sense, it is difficult to define "White". White, in subtractive terms, is the absense of all color on your very white piece of paper. White, in additive terms, is the addition of each primary color on your television screen. I know, it's all very gross and it sickens me to think that the world works in such a definite, scientific manner. Shhh
Anttu^^
ofcourse white is a color, but black aint because its not light Wink
Painshock
erm i guess white IS a colour Very Happy
ChunkyBustout
If colors don't exist, why do we call them colors?

White is a color. It is also the sum of all colors.

Keeping in the context of the question. Generally speaking. Not in regards to art, light, physics or philosophy.

The poll is very funny!
Soulfire
White is a color, comprised of other colors, in the sense that you would take red and blue and make it green, it is just made of other colors.
Nameless
*agrees with people who mentioned black*

If anything should be called not a colour, it's black. Black is the absence of colour, no colour. White is all colours put together, the pinacle of colour! White is more of a colour than any other colour!
angelo
Of course white is a color! How can you determine if it is white if you can't see it. Color can be differentiated using your eyes! Therefore, it is a color!
Nyizsa
Ok, my opinion is:
1. Get a monocromatic (consisting of only one frequency) radiation from the vaweband of light. Certainly it is a colour, right?
2. Now get an other one. (Also a colour.) Mix them. You get a new colour. Which is still a colour, but mixed.
3. Get yet another one. And an other and an other. Mix them all. You keep getting colours.
4. At the end, when you have them all mixed (hypothetically), it must be also a colour, right? But it is white.
Conclusion: White is a colour.
If you want to know more about colors, check these links out:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vision/cie.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIE_XYZ_color_space
Monkeydog
My paintshop pro calls it a colour, and I agree with it. xD
Jazz
I think white is a colour because if you have black paper you would have to use a white crayon and crayons only draw in colours.
gonzo
Jazz wrote:
I think white is a colour because if you have black paper you would have to use a white crayon and crayons only draw in colours.

mmmmm more sophistry
nOScott
i like white so i voted yes
gonzo
nOScott wrote:
i like white so i voted yes

those are like virus??

huh?
hheidle
who cares?
norbe666
white is a color
Metaguy
Yeah, lol, who cares. But i think its a color anyways Laughing .
Alein_Atryda_III
They teach at school that white and black are not colors, they call it something else(at least in polish, but it isn't close to "background"). I don't care. The window I'm typying this message in is white, I can define it as white and as long as I THINK it's white, it is.

BTW> As long as I think killing is bad... XD Until they jail me:o
DizzyThermal
White is not a color... Neither is Black.

White is all colors combine...

HEX = FFFFFF

Black isn't a color either. It is the absence of color

HEX = 000000

Not just by HEX am I getting my answers...

I once had the same question long ago about this and I solved it after asking some people/artists.

I am almost 100% sure that I am right on this

Black and White are not colors.
JackLaidlaw
I heard that black and white are shades not colours
solarwind
ChunkyBustout wrote:
If colors don't exist, why do we call them colors?

White is a color. It is also the sum of all colors.

Keeping in the context of the question. Generally speaking. Not in regards to art, light, physics or philosophy.

The poll is very funny!

I agree
a.Bird
Any color with black added to it is a shade of that color. Any color with white added to it is a tint of that color. Pink is red with white added to it so pink is actually a tint of red. And to think it gets so much hype over its predecessor! Wink
godam64
yes white is a colour.
if you use graphic programs you'll found white, black, red, blue, etc... Laughing
Bookface
Two of the statements about whites are true: white is not a color, it is a shade. White is the combination of all other colors, in terms of light; when all the colors are reflected or generated by light sources, what appears to us is called "white".
hahame
it is not wrong that saying white is a color,but just it is a color ,it appears some means which we thing is not just a color
OutlawSpirit
yes... both black n white r colours... but i was told they are shades, the same colour? just different shades of it Cool
ocalhoun
Arno van Lumig wrote:
My teacher told me (so it really HAS to be true...) that white are all colors combined.

You can see that if you hold a prism in a ray of light, the white ray of light changes into multiple rays of different colored light.

Such devotion to teachers...
No wonder original ideas are becoming more and more rare.
My teachers say that becoming a horse is impossible, but I will do it despite their pessimisim.
SunburnedCactus
ocalhoun wrote:
My teachers say that becoming a horse is impossible, but I will do it despite their pessimisim.

Yeah! You show them! Wink

Any closer to acheiving that goal?
Nyizsa
Now here is a different approach:
Can anybody answer this question first:
WHAT IS A COLOUR?
A ray of light within a specified band? In terms of physics or optics, yes.
A stimulus in your nerve system when this ray enters your eye? In terms of biology, yes.
But in common terms I must say that a colour is a reaction in your brain when this stimulus gets there AND you learned how to interpret this stimulus. (Ask a blind person what white is!)
So, YES. White is a colour, and also black is one. Because you think they are colours. And you can't really explain this. That's why it is a good topic - helps creativity to come to the surface!
faithful
There are 2 possible answers to your pole.

White is a colour. AND It is a mix of all the other colours combined.

If it is a mix of all the colours then it would be a colour itself.

Purple is a colour and is a mix of blue and red. Brown is a colour and is a mix of red and blue. So, white is a colour because it is a mix of ........ All the colours.

Thank you for listening Smile

J
mark
I have been shouted at a thousand times by my art teachers at school that white is not a colour. But I standby my definition, white is a colour!!!
nike88
white is not a colour, concerning pigment, it is the absense of colour. black is a combination of every colour.
kamote
umm, i think its a color.
madsencarl
"White compromises all colors" (or something along those lines)
BUT
Green compromises of blue and yellow. Green is a colour.
THEREFORE
White is a color.
There are two correct answers to this poll.
Davidgr1200
According to dictionary.com, color is>
That aspect of things that is caused by differing qualities of the light reflected or emitted by them, definable in terms of the observer or of the light, as:

1. The appearance of objects or light sources described in terms of the individual's perception of them, involving hue, lightness, and saturation for objects and hue, brightness, and saturation for light sources.
2. The characteristics of light by which the individual is made aware of objects or light sources through the receptors of the eye, described in terms of dominant wavelength, luminance, and purity.

Which would make white a color. It would also make black a color
lisa33144
Of course white is a color!
Specifically, white is all the colors combined, so that would make it a color. While black is the absense of color.
More generally, I think both black and white are colors because you use them to describe the color of objects.
gonzo
Nyizsa wrote:
Because you think they are colours.

quick... think me up a million dollars and think it delivered fed ex overnight.

Quote:
And you can't really explain this.

but you can?
Yjaxygames
Scientifically not, but the term color is to me not something that has to do with light and stuff, so white is a color for me.
izimngcubes15
White is blended by all the colors of light...i think....at least that's what I remember...
psycosquirrel
White is a color, just as much as purple is. Purple = blue+green (in terms of light), and white = red+green+blue. Therefore, if purple is a color in terms of light, then white must be as well.

The opposite is the case for solids; white is an absence of pigment and black is a combination of RGB. Therefore, black must be a color as well.
mceejaydee
White is a color. Why else would there be a white crayon?
otaku
White is all colors combine.

Black is NO colors.

#FFFFFF = White
#00000 = Black

Hex Value

RGB(256, 256, 256) = White
RGB(0, 0, 0) = Black

Red, Blue, and green channels

So white itself is not a color itself, and niether is black.
madsencarl
otaku wrote:
RGB(0, 0, 0) = Black[/size]

On your computer screen, television, etc.
We're talking about the real world. Sure, black is an absense of light, but it is not an absense of colour.

Anyway, how do you know that you are seeing the same colour as me? What you define as black could be a completely different colour to me, but I still call it black. Pure philosophy for ya folks.
a.Bird
madsencarl wrote:
otaku wrote:
RGB(0, 0, 0) = Black[/size]

On your computer screen, television, etc.
We're talking about the real world. Sure, black is an absense of light, but it is not an absense of colour.

Anyway, how do you know that you are seeing the same colour as me? What you define as black could be a completely different colour to me, but I still call it black. Pure philosophy for ya folks.

woah man you're totally blowin my mind.
nam_siddharth
If white is not a color, them tell me, what white is? is it a material?
Ofcourse white is a color.
acamas
White is a colour. While it is all coloured light combines to white light still a colour. If there is a white box. you would not say the box does not have a colour...
Nyizsa
gonzo wrote:
Nyizsa wrote:
Because you think they are colours.

quick... think me up a million dollars and think it delivered fed ex overnight.

Nice idea... I meant that your opinion strongly depends on what you have learnt so far in your life. Think of this: if you teach your baby child showing a red piece of something, and saying "blue", he will think (and will be quite sure) that apples are blue. (Ok, you can adopt a child if you don't want to experiment with your own... Laughing )
gonzo wrote:
Nyizsa wrote:
And you can't really explain this.

but you can?

No. That's what I was saying. (you in this case means all of us.) But I had some ideas about it. And some other guys had also. When did you start this topic? 3 or 4 days ago? It got very popular in a short time. Because everyone thinks something about it!
Nice work!
James007
white isn't a colour, it is a pigment... just like black is a pigment too.

James007 Smile
rstrategos
It depends on what your looking at. Like crayons, if you take all the crayons and draw on a white piece of paper you should get black because black is all the colors put together, but on a TV the screen turns black when theirs nothing on it or its turned off. Just like it has white when it turns on. Concerning the prism, a prism is clear not white, if it were white you wouldn't have any light going through and thus no color. But then you notice that neither black nor white are on the Rainbow so they can't be colors. It all depends on what your looking at.
gonzo
godam64 wrote:
yes white is a colour.
if you use graphic programs you'll found white, black, red, blue, etc... Laughing

so then patterns and gradients are colors? Is transparency a color, too?
nilsmo
silvermesh wrote:
people who say that white and black aren't colors are uptight art teachers who think art and psychology should be one in the same. Gray is just as much a color as blue.

Actually, not art teachers: science teachers. Art deals with psychology. In art, colors are totally different. An art teacher can say red and green colors make gray, but in science they make green. The art teacher is referring to paints, the science example refers to light.

So, in art white is a color. In science white is all colors combined.
wingo
White and black are on the scale of every hue, so they are not to be equated with gray, for they are as any other color as gray. Red (RGB value 255-0-0) and green (0-255-0) make yellow (255-255-0), with computers.
riv_
It's just a pigment of your imagination Laughing
No really... there's no pigment involved. It reflects all the colours back at you, so it's eother all of them or none, depending on how you want to look at it.
If you're a scientist looking at properties of light, it's all of them. (Put all the frequencies of light together, you get white... reflected!)
If you're a chemist or a painter looking at pigments, it's none (put all the pigments in the mix, you get black!)
Billwaa
technically, white is the combination of all of the color of light.
cepher
strictly scientifically...white is the ut-most brightest of any color...which means a reflection and a distortion of visual waves, of which is infinantely bright, equals white.

because all colors are the reflection of light waves, white is no execption

and that anycolor in the brightest possiblility is white...

my 2 cents...
kawoyip
white is color~my friends
just like black
mae1strom
Believe it or not, white, gray and black are the same "color".
Vrythramax
Acutally white is the absence of color and the opposite end of the spectrum is Black, which is all colors combined. no matter how hard you try you can not make white, but just mix the pallete all together and what do you get (besides a mess)...Black.
summer-sensation
mae1strom wrote:
Believe it or not, white, gray and black are the same "color".

If I say I agree, do I still get points? No, just kidding. I agree. White, black, gray...they're all colors. Yuppers.
ateawonton
and neither is black
likeabreeze
What is color?
It is the visual perceptual property corresponding in humans to the categories called red, blue, yellow, green and others. ---wikipedia.
So, if you see it, that's a color.
mukesh
loserk wrote:
white is the main color...all the others except black are sub-colors...

I think yes I am also agree to this statement.
RoylanM
Yes white is considered a color because white can be a color of a car or color of ice cream
inoshi
Idea

White, probably more properly described as European, or Euro-[your nation]. So, to think of color(s) as a variety of something, human or otherwise.
foumy6
Well I was always taught in school that white was all of the colors in light combined. (and also black was not a color but the absence of light.) So I guess I am going to have to throw my vote that way. I'll post a link later, but I watched this video where they discuss that the color you see maybe different to someone else, and you would never know. (I am not talking about color blind people) For example, you see a strawberry, and to everyone it is known as red. Everybody's brain could interoperate that color differently though like maybe their red is your green, but you would never know because that is the color that you were taught was red. I suck at explaining things like this so I'll just post a link later. Cant get on youtube at school. Razz
jmraker
White is a color because this validates at http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator
Code:
* {
 color: white;
}

Here's more on the topic:
http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-design/are-black-and-white-colors
twotrophy
Yes. white is a full-fledged colour in my opinion. It is very difficult to define the word "colour" or "color" depending on how you spell it. It is just as good as any other colour in Art.
GuidanceReader
Yes, White is a colour. Although depending on your use of the word colour will skew the technical side of things.
crystalkey
White is the combination of all colors that make up the visible spectrum of what we call 'light'. Black is the lack of any color whatsoever, or the total abscence of anything which comprises the visible spectrum.
inuyasha
bdoneck wrote:
this is a pretty dumb topic, white is a color, a better topic would be is black a color because black is the absense of color Wink

That depends on the color model. Different color models have their own set of primary colors.