FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

know anyone who can do a rubik's cube?

bjwok
hey folks,

i recently met someone who can actually do one of these things!

and there is a clip of her in action at my site, so go scope it out:

http://www.bjwok.frih.net/

anyone else know anyone who can do one of these?

cheers
Diebels
Nice...

I used to do the cube in about 3 min Laughing
bjwok
sweet!

i guess three minutes is about average?

annie showed me her method, and i got one side pretty quickly, but lost interest after i couldn't do another side without ruining that first one! Sad
Kael
I had one when I was a kid. I loved it, and eventually got pretty decent at it.

Funny story, though. When I first got one I couldnt solve the thing. So after about 6 weeks I pulled all of the colored stickers off of it and put them all back on so that it looked like I solved it. Amazed a few people that didnt know any better, heh.

I know. Cheating, right. Very Happy
stormybaka
The other rubik thing with the rings I got easy as, but never have got the cube thing worked out...
bjwok
hi Kael,

yeah. i used to take the stickers off too! (until i got a 'solid' one!)

still to this day i haven't been able to master one!

hey stormybaka i don't remember the thing with the rings?
dac_nip
I love rubik cubes. I still remember that my teacher yelled at me just because I was playing rubik cubes instead of listening to our lessons. Very Happy My fastest is less than a minute, i think around 45-50 seconds. I heard that there are guys who can actually do it in just couple of seconds, and what's more they are blindfolded! Those are very exceptional, I don't know if its' even true. What's the guiness record for rubik cubes anyway?
nunosilva
brrrr never liked it!! when I look at it I find it impossible to get all colors together lolol...
dac_nip
nope dude. it's actually very challenging. you'll get addicted if you try it.
kirii
i donno~~~
sad~~ Sad
Yantaal
this is how io fell about rubix cubes.

They are mental, if you can do one you are a genius in someway. i am going to make this message so long just so i keep above -10. I dont think there is a set method to doing them is there? or is therE? i dont know, i know my auncle used to be able to do them he was awesome with them, which must make him a genius and cozi am related i mast also be a genus good stuff ey?
DX-Blog
When it comes to doing things like this in which some form of visualisation is required I suck completely, an average cube takes me about 3 hours, lol. Working with numbers and such is more my thing, sudoku's I can solve pretty quickly in example, although that gets boring quite soon Razz.
madsencarl
I think the world record is somewhere around 13 seconds. I haven't even completed one yet (I got one when I was about 10, then lost it a few years late - incompleted), so I'm a long way off. But I'll still try.
-orders cube off internet-
driftingfe3s
My friend is really into them. Alot of the times he's just fiddling around with them. The normal ones are 3x3 but he also has a 4x4 one. It takes him about a minute and a half to complete the regular one. He also has some special ones with diffrent colours.

As for me, I coudln't complete one if my life depended on it. Plus I get bored after a minute or two.
Tasukii
I recently tried to perform a rubik, I failed after 15min, I would like to do it again but I broke it, I was so angry against this little ****
lockwolf
I can do a rubix cube, it will take me a while but I can do it!
hodgenpodg
i think anyone can do it its just a matter of time but some guy from MIT in a Rubiks cube club got the world record a few days ago by doing it in like 11 seconds or something crazy like that
rvec
When i was 9 i solved one Laughing Laughing

I started when I was 6 but that doesn't matter does it?
dac_nip
hodgenpodg wrote:
i think anyone can do it its just a matter of time but some guy from MIT in a Rubiks cube club got the world record a few days ago by doing it in like 11 seconds or something crazy like that

no way..how could he do that? It's easy to complete the 3x3 rubik cubes. it just takes time and patience. i remembered reading patterns in the net and following it until im finished in less than 15 minute. i kept doing it again and again until i was able to finish it in less than a minute. then i tried the 4x4 rubik cubes and it was more difficult. haha, but what the hell, it's so entertaining anyway.
jeffleo
Hehe, Rubik Cube is famous and I've seen 1 handers do it within 10 seconds. Trust me, they really did. And anyways, I don't do Rubik, it's too mind boggling for me. Hahaha.
Sappho
jeffleo wrote:
Hehe, Rubik Cube is famous and I've seen 1 handers do it within 10 seconds. Trust me, they really did. And anyways, I don't do Rubik, it's too mind boggling for me. Hahaha.

Yea since world record is above 10 seconds i am pretty sure u know a bunch of ppl that can do it within 10 seconds in 1 hand and prolly even behind their backs Laughing
jeffleo
No seriously... We had a private competition held. The Rubik wasn't really messed up, therefore it is easier, not the world record type of standard where they seriously mess things up. We just do like say 5-10 twists on the rubik before handing it out to the competitor. So yeah. Hehe, maybe they are just noobies who got lucky. Oh well. XD
llsanderll
I want one Sad

Ohyea, I'd love to see the movie, but I don't want to download 42MB to see someone doing rubics cube :$
bjwok
42mb is nada these days champ! (unless, of course you pay for every mb you download, in which case you seriously need to consider changing your isp!)

peace Smile
TeK
I use to know how to do one, but I can't anymore.
Lennon
Here's the method

-start with one side
symbols represent each colour

XXX
O#X
#XO

---the centre of the side has a special colour. Start with this colour

i.e. #

---the object is to get the four cubes siding the centre cube lined up.
---rotate so the first side lines up with the center

X#X
O#X
#XO

---make sure the newly placed cube also reflects the adjacent side
---Then do the other side

X#X
O#X
##O

And the other sides

X#X
###
##O

Then do the corners one by one to get;

###
###
###

That's one side done. You will notice that the top row of the 4 adjacent sides are also complete if you have them in the right order. These will be

O, X, @, H

You will already have one centre piece on each side for each colour...
I.e. the centre pieces will be coloured yellow, orange, red, blue, green, one for each side.

So start with O

Revolve the top side (complete) so that the top row of O's line up with the centre O.

You will have
### - top side complete
OOO - top row complete
XOO - centre O complete (two sides to be completed)
OO@ - ignore this bottom row for now.

Rotate the X out of the side position, replace with the correct O side

you now have
###
OOO
OOO
OO@

Do the same for the other 3 sides around the # side. leave the bottom row till last.

If you have made it this far this is the best I can do so far, the guy I know can do it also does it this way, but for the 3rd row you have to temporarily destroy the whole design, and after a few twists the 1st and 2nd row are back in order, but he also has the 3rd row improved. Very complicated.
[/i]
TheDrunkenClam
My brother is into rubik's cubing. To be honest, I think that rubik's cubing is quite the sham. Everyone thinks you have to be really smart to do one, but it really doesn't take that much skill. All the people I know who can do rubik's cubes read a book or something to figure them out. You just need to know the algorithms to move a piece to another location without disturbing any of the other pieces. I think I wouldn't be truly impressed by someone's rubik's cubing ability unless they managed to figure out the algorthrims on their own.
KeiKun
I got bored one day and took a flat head screw driver to mine, and on the older ones the peices just fall right off, so i put them back on and won~_~
dac_nip
KeiKun wrote:
I got bored one day and took a flat head screw driver to mine, and on the older ones the peices just fall right off, so i put them back on and won~_~

haha. where's the satisfaction there? you might have put them together but still.. Very Happy
Lennon
I prefer personality tests and board games.
KeiKun
dac_nip wrote:
KeiKun wrote:

haha. where's the satisfaction there? you might have put them together but still.. Very Happy

Actually it was quite fun. i got to see exactly how it works and actually got me started on taking other things apart. unfortunatly i kinda got outta the practice, it mighta elprd later in life lol.
-TomJ-
Some of my colleagues are Cubicers.

One is truly fanatic: when we go down for smoke, he takes his cube to stay in shape. Somebody else scrambles the cube, and then he will resolve it in some 19~22 seconds. With an official timer, mind you. I think he came third in the Dutch championships. He subsequently went to Florida for the World Championship, but he dropped the cube during an official session, so that was a "no score", so he never made it to the List.

My female colleague had joined him to the Dutch Championship, and became first Lady, so she is the Official Dutch Champion. But she only achieved something like 90 seconds or so ...
desertwind
Well i do it within 2 minutes. Has developed a generic solution for it.

One of my friend (using the same solution) has a record of doing it within 30 secs. He acheived it by constant practice. He has an average solution time of 45 secs.
aceman14
About a year ago i could solve the cube in a little under 2 minutes, it was fairly easy to learn i had an extremely helpfull little booklet that i learned from...all you have to do is memorize certain moves then it becomes easy. I lost that booklet, and i lost the knowledge of how to do it Mad
ck88
I had to do the math and write a Prolog program as a solver. So I looked at one again after 20 Years or so. Didn't work out right away and I could not remember all the moves. Luckily there are a lot of solutions out there. Just Google for them. Once memorised it's all about practise.
I used one for my program and the code optimised it to even fewer steps.
But that was last year and I lost interest again.
I hear the actual cubes sold in the US now do come with a solution.
HoytJolly
I used to be able to do it too. YouTube has a lot of good videos on the topic. There is more than one way to do it, so be sure to stick to one series of videos.