FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Favorite Concerto

vlnjodie
I'm just wondering if anybody out there has a favorite concerto. For me I love the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto. (Of course I'm a violinist, so I am biased towards the instrument) The Tchaikovsky is dream piece and I am working toward playing it someday. T

There are so many great pieces. The Barber violin concerto, the Lalo Cello Concerto, the Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto. What's your favorite?
zjosie729
I don't know many concertos, but I like Concerto in A and Concerto in D. I'm working on it.
vlnjodie
Do you know who the composer is? What instrument?
zjosie729
violin
I think the composer is Bach
vlnjodie
Ah yes. Then the Concerto in D would be the Bach Double violin concerto. Very nice. The Concerto in A minor is also very good. Are you working on both, or just one?
zjosie729
The concerto in A is by Vivadi, just so you know.
And I'm working on both, but more of the concerto in D.
vlnjodie
Those are great concertos. If you ever want any suggestions for others to listen to, feel free to ask. There are so many great violin concertos and sonatas. If you like the Bach, listen to the Bach concerto in A minor.
zjosie729
Where can I get the music to listen?
Hippie
Pachobel, cannon in D. Used to play piano so I got a pretty good background of all that. If anyone wants a cool site to download some classical music, check this out: http://www.classiccat.net/ Free classical music.
zjosie729
Thanks a lot...
ddukki
The first movement of the Bach Double Violin Concerto. I played it once for a concert and the violinists were simply amazing. I can't stop listening to it.
rafaellaguardia
The best concerto for me is the 3rd Piano Concerto for Piano composed
by Beethoven. I like it a lot. As most of all here, that´s the instrument
I play idem.

Wink
vlnjodie
rafaellaguardia wrote:
The best concerto for me is the 3rd Piano Concerto for Piano composed
by Beethoven. I like it a lot. As most of all here, that´s the instrument
I play idem.

Wink

Have you heard the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2. It's so beautiful. I'm not sure I've heard Beethoven's 3rd. Do you know what key it's in? Does it have another name?
snowflake
Gotta love the Rachmaninoff. Cool Beautiful.
Can't remember any others I've played at the moment, but I've played the double Bach before.

(Any crazy classical pianists, a fab place (if you haven't already heard of it) is sheetmusicarchive.net. Huge collection of pieces. Concertos included. Razz)
vlnjodie
Thanks for the cool link snowflake. I'll have to check that out more, especially when I get a piece assigned. I just wish they always listed the instrumentation. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.
garvalf4
All Paganini's concerto are worth listening, especially the one called "La Campanella".
Pachelbel's music is nice too.
snowflake
Great site, isn't it. Smile I'm always hunting for new material there.

Piano Concerto No. 2, it's the music in Fantasia 2000, the tin soldier scene, written by Shostakovich. Another composer I dearly love.

Ahh, yes, also the Grieg A minor one. The first movement, the one that is the most famous. Razz

Being a violinist... I'm sure you've heard of the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in E minor? I played that one awhile ago.
vlnjodie
I played the Mendelsshon a few years ago. I also was lucky enough to hear Perlman play it. Are you a pianist and a violinist?
snowflake
Yes I am, but piano is my chief instrument. Smile

Wow, Perlman, that's amazing! Shocked I'm green with envy.
vlnjodie
Hippie wrote:
If anyone wants a cool site to download some classical music, check this out: http://www.classiccat.net/ Free classical music.

I didn't even see this before. Thanks Hippie, I'll have to check this out.
Snowflake, do play as a hobbie, or professionally? Are you working on anything right now?

garvalf4 wrote:
All Paganini's concerto are worth listening, especially the one called "La Campanella".
Pachelbel's music is nice too.

What instrument is "La Campanella" written for? Have you listened to any of the Paganini's 24 Caprices?