FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IS Professional Gaming a Career? A Sport?

IS Professional Gaming a Career? A Sport?
Career - Yes//Sport - YES
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Carrer - Yes//Sport - NO
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Career - No//Sport - Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Career - No//Sport - NO
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

Scotty Too Hotty
What do you think. Can it be conisdered a career, or what about a sport?
Yjaxygames
Proffesional gaming? Gaming is just for fun. I voted No career/no sport. I think sport is more physical, not only clicking a mouse button.
dzo
At the end of the day, you have achieved nothing when you turn the game off. No different to any other passtime.
alkady
I'm suprise people can actually make a living clicking on a mouse all day, But I would consider it a professional career to a certain extent. To be a game tester it require knowledge in programming since the whole goal is not only seeing if its good but if there is any bug or errors. But if your referring to a professional gamer in sports then no.
cheatonmaps
game making is a career, but not game playing. They have tournements for some games, but i still dont think it can be considered a sport.
Jayfarer
Gaming can be a career, but only to a very very select few. It is not a sport, though. It's no more of a sport than Chess or Monopoly. Those are games.
gh0stface
cheatonmaps wrote:
game making is a career, but not game playing.

Well, actually, in Korea, there are actually huge, HUGE followings for good Starcraft players. Boxer-Slayer or whatever his name actually makes a 6 digit figures just for playing StarCraft. Korea even has TV channels dedicated just to show StarCraft matches...

I'm not sure if I would consider it a sport or not... but then there are many small nuances that can be fit into a sports category. As there specific are rules that you have to follow.
blu3bird
i would say ... it does qualifies to be sort of a "sport" .. but i dont see how being a professional gamer as a career.. it would make a veri lousy career ... developing games is a career, not playing games.
Scotty Too Hotty
its seems i should have done a little backing with this. The question derives from a tv show i saw a few months ago that just came accross my mind today. Where they gamer would play in tournements and win up to 30 grand in a shot. Top prize being around 50 grand deoending on the scale of the tournement. This is easily a sustainable income. If i remeber properly there was even spnsorship behind him. IE, Game creation companies would sponsor his entry fee in tournements and use him as testor etc
Monkeydog
Starcraft is a sport in Korea. x_x
I don't consider it a sport, but it can be a carrer.
cheatonmaps
its not a career. To make it a carrer, you would have to get payed regulary when playing it, not from just winning a tournement.
Monkeydog
cheatonmaps wrote:
its not a career. To make it a carrer, you would have to get payed regulary when playing it, not from just winning a tournement.

Reviewers and Beta testers play games, and make money.
BurgerPimp07
Sport, no. When I think of sport I think of something physical like mentioned above. And as far as I know they don't pay people to play online games. If they do it's a very small handfull of people, which doesn't really give it its own career title.
djared90
I think it could be considered a career if you get payed for playing games, like hired beta testers. However, I don't really consider playing games to be a sport, since there is no physical activity (except for moving your hands and fingers...what a workout).
gh0stface
djared90 wrote:
I think it could be considered a career if you get payed for playing games, like hired beta testers. However, I don't really consider playing games to be a sport, since there is no physical activity (except for moving your hands and fingers...what a workout).

So is chess a sport for that matter then? The only physical activity in this game is thinking and moving your arms to move the pieces.

Kind of like competitive Starcraft. You have to think and out maneuver your oppenents.
Scimus
the answer is pretty simple actually.
Everything has its beggining. All professional sports are also careers,
and computer is catching up as professional gaming.
It is not much different compared to a regular game of tennis, except for the physical involvement( as i can see quuite a few posts with this opinion).
Game played- sometimes gets very very interesting - Winner gets payed.

More than the physical involvement, the main difference inmy opinion would be the fact that computer gaming has Thousands more contestants as the whole world can play computer gamin without being introduced to it. I mean to say, A computer game is self training, no extra coaching required.

Professional gaming is now in its initials - we have to wait till there is a hotter hype for it.
raman
In korea, its consdiered a profession.
Kelcey
It can be a career... but not a very good one I suppose. A sport requires a decent amount of physical movement. What? Golf? Carts? I have nothing against golf Smile