FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

anything by tom clancy

schumway
ALthough people say he is quite wordy I find his stuff is pretty good!
nakamaru
I've never read his stuff. Maybe I should.
KungFuChris
I've picked up a couple of his books now. At first I wasn't sure if I'd like them, mostly being a sci-fi/fantasy reader, but I ended up pleasantly surprised.

I started off with Rainbow Six, which is fast paced with plenty of action. Definately a good read.

Now I've just recently finished Red Rabbit, which definately read a lot slower, bearing down on the more political and covert side of espionage. It took me longer to get into, but I still enjoyed it.

I think I'm going to try and work my way up through the timeline now. It will also be interesting to read the books that inspired the films as I reach them, I believe.
papamurphy
For a less wordy, action packed alternative, try Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels. They are pretty much non-stop action. I am an avid reader of Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but I really enjoy Cussler books. Oh yes, and also Robert Ludlum's Bourne series (These were recently made into movies).
sniffass
I've read a lot of Tom Clancey's books, i first heard about him after playing all the different rainbow six games on the pc. Out of all the books of his that I've read I can really recommend "The Bear and The Dragon", this is a mamoth of book, but superb (about a third world war between China and Russia (kinda)).
I'm dissapointed with his smaller novels, I really am appalled byt the quality of the English, I'm a UK resident and I find reading through so many Americanisms tiresom and redeous especially when alot of them you must be American to fully understand. Also the descriptive quality and vocabulary I find is really lacking, always sticking with pretty simple words and american expressions to describe. Infact I gave up on the red rabbit, I think after reading it my English level declined to a pre-school level.

Gabe
schumway
"ya-but" coming from the UK you have the real english vs our canadian version or the US-ized stuff...

course ours tends to be a mix of yours and our neibours to the south LOL