FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


How to load OS on blank laptop





schumway
I have a laptop with nothing on the hard drive
I have no CDs for XP Home nor Professional but the laptop has a serial number.

can I just borrow someone's CDs and load XP then use my license string?

or can you download the software somewhere since Microsoft is validating the versions you should be able to get the software free and have to pay for the license if you dont have one?
cheeta
schumway wrote:
I have a laptop with nothing on the hard drive
I have no CDs for XP Home nor Professional but the laptop has a serial number.

can I just borrow someone's CDs and load XP then use my license string?

or can you download the software somewhere since Microsoft is validating the versions you should be able to get the software free and have to pay for the license if you dont have one?


yes u can do it... but make sure u r using the right version... thats windows XP Pro or Home...
northcoast
I actually just finished doing this with several laptops, I got 8 at an auction and an additional 24 towers. All had been wiped out!

First, if you turn on your computer and after the regular boot screen shows, you get the "non system disk error" error, you need to get a boot disk. You can find the one you need at www.bootdisk.com . make sure you get the correct operating system bootdisk for the one you are going to install.
Next, get the windows cd that you need.

Make the bootdisk and stick it in the floppy drive with the computer turned off . Turn on the computer and let the bootdisk boot up to an A:\ prompt. Type in fdisk and hit enter. From fdisk, you will want to enable full disk support and make sure there is 1 active partition, if not, create one.

Exit fdisk and restart. The bootdisk will work its magic again and you'll get back to an A:\ prompt. type in format c: and hit enter to format the hard drive. After it is done formatting, you'll be back at the A:\ prompt. Now you can use setup with any type of windows by going to the drive with the cd in it and typing setup.
northcoast
Or, if you get ahold of a real copy of windows xp, like borrowing it from a neighbor or friend that has it, you don't have to do anything in my last post and just put the cd in and go from there. Very Happy
djclue917
schumway wrote:

can I just borrow someone's CDs and load XP then use my license string?


Yes you can but you should not because it is illegal. Your license string is only valid for your copy of Windows. Remember that Microsoft requires that the ratio of PCs to Windows licenses is 1:1. It means that one copy of Windows could only be used in a singe computer. Multiple installation is not allowed.

Also, every copy of Windows has a unique license string "hard-coded" within it. There is no way that you could change that license string, or if it is possible and you did it, Microsoft could surely detect that your copy of Windows is not genuine.

HTH
djclue917
cheeta wrote:

yes u can do it... but make sure u r using the right version... thats windows XP Pro or Home...


Of course he could do it but I suggest that he does not. <Previous post please...>

Also, please do not encourage things like this. If you don't want to pay for Windows then just find an alternative operating system. K/Ubuntu works for me very well... Smile
Srs2388
but, I've used a friends CD and my serial (on my computer)
and it worked just using a different disk isn't pirating it.....right?
corey
How could it be? Its not the disk, or every computer would come with a Windows disk. I have yet to get a computer with the disk already (OEM version every time).

Its the licence key that's important.
schumway
thanks northcoast for the link!

others - would not think there would be a license issue because the OS was installed on the hard drive without CDs provided... in the years when OEMs were not required to send the Microsoft CD... they had their own image CDs or whatever they are called...

some dont even have image disks they just put it on the hard drive and say have a nice day!
Animal
The thing to be wary of though is that the license on your PC will be for an OEM version of Windows - this is quite different to a full retail version. As an individual, you could buy an OEM version of windows for somewhere in the region of $100-$150, where a retail version is likely to cost around $200-$300 (although I can't garantee this pricing since I don't live in the US). Microsoft sells the OEM copies to large computer manufacturers like Dell for around $45-$50, so your license only entitles you to an OEM copy.

With OEM software, Microsoft is not responsible for supporting the software - this responsibility is transferred to the computer manufacturer. This is the main reason for a reduction in price. The computer manufacturer will also alter the OEM copy to include their own specific software additions (this is why you are unable to slipstream XP SP2 into an older OEM copy of the software).

If your computer is manufactured by Dell and your friend has a Dell OEM CD, then it's probably legally safe to borrow their CD provided you use your own PC's serial. If your friend uses another manufacturer's OEM version, this is a legal gray area and you'd be best trying to buy yourself an OEM copy. If your friend's CD is a retail version then it is definately illegal to use that copy whether your key works or not.

I hope this is helpful - just trying to keep you out of trouble Wink
gonzo
northcoast wrote:
I
First, if you turn on your computer and after the regular boot screen shows, you get the "non system disk error" error, you need to get a boot disk. You can find the one you need at www.bootdisk.com . make sure you get the correct operating system bootdisk for the one you are going to install.
Next, get the windows cd that you need.

Make the bootdisk and stick it in the floppy drive with the computer turned off . Turn on the computer and let the bootdisk boot up to an A:\ prompt. Type in fdisk and hit enter. From fdisk, you will want to enable full disk support and make sure there is 1 active partition, if not, create one.

Exit fdisk and restart. The bootdisk will work its magic again and you'll get back to an A:\ prompt. type in format c: and hit enter to format the hard drive. After it is done formatting, you'll be back at the A:\ prompt. Now you can use setup with any type of windows by going to the drive with the cd in it and typing setup.


This is WHOLLY unnecessary for any computer than can boot from CD.
mschnell
One thing I don't think anyone's mentioned...
If you can boot from a cd you might need to make sure that the BIOS is checking the cdrom drive. I think that most BIOS might make you check every drive before startup, and since you have nothing on the harddrive it should at some point hit the CDRom drive. But if you can't get it to run, definitely check out the BIOS. You have to enter it by hiting some button before startup. I couldn't tell you which one. Maybe try F1, esc, etc, ect...

Once again, I doubt you'd have to do this...but...
windval
i just think y not
magnusmoty
mschnell wrote:
One thing I don't think anyone's mentioned...
If you can boot from a cd you might need to make sure that the BIOS is checking the cdrom drive. I think that most BIOS might make you check every drive before startup, and since you have nothing on the harddrive it should at some point hit the CDRom drive. But if you can't get it to run, definitely check out the BIOS. You have to enter it by hiting some button before startup. I couldn't tell you which one. Maybe try F1, esc, etc, ect...

Once again, I doubt you'd have to do this...but...



it alvays button delete [del]



Quote:
Yes you can but you should not because it is illegal. Your license string is only valid for your copy of Windows. Remember that Microsoft requires that the ratio of PCs to Windows licenses is 1:1. It means that one copy of Windows could only be used in a singe computer. Multiple installation is not allowed.

Also, every copy of Windows has a unique license string "hard-coded" within it. There is no way that you could change that license string, or if it is possible and you did it, Microsoft could surely detect that your copy of Windows is not genuine.



you can do it because it is completely legal.
your disk costs 2$-
your key, that combination of words and numbers- 100$
One disk with multiply keys can be used on d diferent computers.
Quote:
Also, every copy of Windows has a unique license string "hard-coded"

yes. but nobody, ever microsoft will not read it.
you will legaly alloved to wiwout-problem activation, and to download oficial updates.
Quote:
Microsoft could surely detect that your copy of Windows is not genuine.

Microsoft could surely detect that your copy of cd-key is correct and genuine.
schumway
frustrating what a monopoly microsoft has and no cares in the world about quality or the little guys.

too much money.
SlaBo
Dear magnusmoty,
magnusmoty wrote:
it alvays button delete [del]

Unfortunately it is not. I've got Toshiba Satellite and I need to hold down ESC during power up and then press F1, Del does nothing. I've got also Compaq notebook and guess what? Del button doesn't work! Weird? No, because to access to Phoenix BIOS setup you need to press F2. Some other models have really nice combinations. It seems that you have never seen anything else than AMI/Award BIOS.

To others,

And what about the licence? Well I think that we could ask Microsoft lawyers and they will start a long debate and end up with no answer. Didn't you know that the FAQ about OEM licences on Microsoft sites is the most frequently uptaded one? ;>

Hardcoded key? Different on every disc? You mean disc serial number or do you think that they do different stamper for every single disc? Another magic unique technology? But how? I would be glad if you explain me your theory.
schumway
you would think that the magic key for the bios would be standard... like the letter "b" or something?

just to make money people have to copywrite the dummest things. I can understand MS wanting to copywrite windows but who cares how you get into the bios be it the del key, F2, shift+backspace+enter

so many things in life are complex... why cant we just have the bios key for all machines to be the letter 'b'

LOL

course it does tell you on bootup what key it is... course with 3GHz machines and 1+G of ram and 10,000rpm SATA hard drives... that screen flicks by. Last time I had to boot 3 times to see what the majic key was... well 2 times and the 3rd was to hold the key LOL
Bones
The key required to get into BIOS is determined by the motherboard manufacturer alone and has nothing to do with Microsoft. I also think that they should have a standard key for BIOS entry...most mobos used DEL for years and then they just had to change it.

As far as the product keys, they are NOT coded specifically to each disk, but rather to the disk type (XP home/XP pro/OEM/retail upgrade/full etc etc etc)
An OEM XP home key will only work with an OEM XP home disk, sometimes they will only work with disks from the same manufacturer.
BUT If, for instance, you have a retail upgrade of XP Pro, then that key will work with any retail XP Pro upgrade disk, but wont work for say an OEM XP pro disk.




schumway wrote:
you would think that the magic key for the bios would be standard... like the letter "b" or something?

just to make money people have to copywrite the dummest things. I can understand MS wanting to copywrite windows but who cares how you get into the bios be it the del key, F2, shift+backspace+enter

so many things in life are complex... why cant we just have the bios key for all machines to be the letter 'b'

LOL

course it does tell you on bootup what key it is... course with 3GHz machines and 1+G of ram and 10,000rpm SATA hard drives... that screen flicks by. Last time I had to boot 3 times to see what the majic key was... well 2 times and the 3rd was to hold the key LOL
x-stream
To get back to the problem with the os: Do you need an OS fast? There are some CD-Only OS in the web, the best is knoppix, I think. You can download it at www.knopper.net.
PS: It΄s a linux-based system
haris3
Just get a Xp cd from a friend or somebody and make sure what ever kind of version is on the cd key sitcker is the same as the cd that you get from somebody. The original key is probably an oem key. You will prob. need an oem cd. It is also called a backup cd or recovery cd.
Related topics
Installing, Partitioning & Formatting HDDs
Laptop and Network problems.. help please
problem with Knoppix on a Windows laptop
Ubuntu Linux blank screen on startup
What do you think about the new macbooks? the new powerbooks
my dell laptop overheats with linux SUSE
Mac OS X on a Xbox 360 or Playstation 3? Maybe possible?
Has anyone dual booted dell laptop/linux?
Installing an OS on an external harddrive.
New laptop ubuntu 6.10 problems
What is your browsers start page?
Mac Book vs. Windows Vista Laptop
Blank screen BEFORE windows xp load
What is your boot time? On which Operating System?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.