FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to tell the version of Windows?

schumway
I have a laptop I bought.
it has a Windows XP license string on the back
How can I tell if it is XP Home or Professional?
the hard drive is formatted and nothing is loaded. Question
iflalumni2004
Hi schumway

Your harddisk is formatted, so all files are gone. You should install an OS like Windows or Linux. Windows needs FAT32 or NTSF hardisk file format.

To see the version of Windows. Open any folder. Then go to Help menu. click About Windows. You will see the information about your OS.

I hope it will help you.

Regards

iflalumni2004
cheeta
schumway wrote:

dont u have the OS installetion CD??
Naif
Not sure but I dont think there is a way you can tell if whether the serial number is for Home or Pro.
SoftStag
The top line of the sticker says the version! Check out this site to see some examples of the stickers:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/uk/coa.mspx

As you have a sticker on the PC, I assume it was preinstalled by an OEM. Therefore it will say on the top one of the following:
Arrow Windows XP Professional
Arrow Windows XP Home Edition

If this is not there it looks like you may have a pirated version.....
djclue917
schumway wrote:

I am just quite puzzled.... Of course a hard drive needs to be formatted with a filesystem in order to be used. I am just not quite sure about your statement... Are you telling that the hard drive is empty? Or is it not? Please clarify your statement...

Anyways, distinguishing between the Home Edition and Professional Edition of Windows XP is very easy. If the Service Pack 2 for Windows XP is not yet installed, you should see a "Home Edition" or "Professional Edition" text below the Windows XP text on boot-up. However, this text does not appear anymore in Windows XP SP2.

You should just try opening the properties dialog box for My Computer and just check-out the info.

HTH
corey
If there's a sticker on the laptop, it doesn't mean that the licence will be good. If it was wiped, it's possible that the original license is still in use on new equipment. But, its worth a try.
riyadh
use ur common sense and watch the windows loading screen. if it home edition the loading screen will read "Windows XP Home" and vice versa. and if tht doesn't show up try going to My Computer>Help>About Windows and check the version. and if none these work, ur laptop is crappy laptop.
toshlad
riyadh wrote:
use ur common sense and watch the windows loading screen. if it home edition the loading screen will read "Windows XP Home" and vice versa. and if tht doesn't show up try going to My Computer>Help>About Windows and check the version. and if none these work, ur laptop is crappy laptop.

Er sadly that used to be the case but not now. I bought a new laptop of the Christmas period and it has XP Home loaded on it. My wifes laptop required me to reinstall XP a while ago so I installed it with my XP Pro disk. Both laptops start exaxly the same way.

The way you tell is go to control panel and system. It will tell you there if it's home edition or Pro, easy really!

I hope this helps.
gonzo
whatever it is its OEM. So you're retail CD won't like the key.
schumway
ya that is the challenge... the laptop is so old that most of the sticker is gone. You can guess at the license because at least 1/2 of each digit is there but the text around it is gone.

it was an OEM install and no idea on the original CD... it did not come with the laptop.

someone noted about boot screen and help/about

it is formatted and not even DOS or whatever is loaded so it doesnt do anything other than spin. LOL

I did put an OpenBSD CD in and it looked okay but I want to load XP on it.

thanks for the hints... I will try the home version first then pro if required LOL
Animal
I think you have a similar problem as another user. See this post for information on using an OEM Windows key with another disk.

Hope it's some help to you!
DRock
Start--- Run

Type winver
Animal
DRock wrote:
Start--- Run

Type winver

Ah, now that would be helpful... if Windows was installed and active! If you'd actually read the post, you'd see that the user wanted help identifying what version of Windows he has a license for since the computer didn't have an Operating System installed.

Rolling Eyes
schumway
thanks animal

it is funnybecause there are likely enough licenses floating around for free... just need the CD. I assume it was XP home but since it was on a laptop you never know... but because of cost... likely XP home and then they loaded XP Pro later with another bought license vs an upgrade license LOL

thanks for the posts... will try XP Home... btw... no hints from Microsoft... more info here!!!! GO FriHost!!!!
Bones
After installing service pack 2, the Windows XP splash screen is the same on both home and pro.

Either start->run->and type in winver
or right click on My computer, left click on properties will tell you

riyadh wrote:
Xeniczone
look on your windows sticker it will say windows home or pro.