FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

i need advice for anti virus..

airh3ad
what is the best anti virus to used?
cheeta
airh3ad wrote:

for me... go with Kaspersky... its the best...
Quake
I have Always Used Norton. Right now I have 2005 and It works really good for all my windows computers. Not one problem. I heard 2006 should be out soon... Will have to upgrade Very Happy .
northcoast
I have used McAfee Virus Scan in the past, if you choose to use it, i'd reccomend the yearly subscription from them, free updates to the scan engine and its less than the cost of software. Its 30 or 40 bucks for a year.

A good free one you might want to try is Avast! Antivirus. Its pretty good you might want to check it out before paying money on one.
babumuchhala
Well Kaspersky is one of the best u can get and thats what i will suggest.

Its got a very good detection rate and is very light on ur system resources. Updates issued every few hours and very easy to use.

Norton is good but I wont suggest it because it almost kills the system. Sad
SoftStag
AV software is a matter of personal taste. Personally I recommend AVG as it is free for non-commercial use. I have found that it works well and have not had any problems with it. I am not aware of anyone that has issues with it. It's free and has regular updates, so it's got to be worth a try....

You can get it from here:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
ChunkyBustout
I've used most free and commercial anti-virus programs and I am currently using Avast. AVG was used right before that but it wasn't thorough enough. Norton and McAfee shouldn't be on the market anymore. Speak to the hand Utter crap.
djclue917
I use PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 (maybe there's a newer version right now; I haven't checked PC-cillin's website lately...)

My PC never got any kind of virus, worm, trojan horse, or whatsoever. Of course, I also update Windows regularly because some vulnerabilities are just too much for a 3rd-party anti-virus or security application.

PC-cillin Internet Security is an all-in-one security solution complete with anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware, vulnerability scanner, etc. (you name it and it's got it.)

However, I would suggest that you also try other operating systems other than Windows. I use my Kubuntu more often than Windows (about 95% of the time).

HTH
picsite
i used to use Norton but i changed to Nod32 by Esnet...its really good
toshlad
AVG is the best for me.

I'm sure one of the moderators will point you in the right direction of this sort of discustion as it was only a month or so back the very same question wa asked.

AVG is light weight and also updates perfectly on dial-up to broadband connections.

I hope this helps.
JayBee
i like AVG or NOD32 and i dislike Norton because it is so big to do nothing
And when you download AVG it would be the best solution

only once i downloaded AVG beta + firewall, it works fine, but i could't uninstall it... a little bug,. but final releases are realy good
Nutorious
AVG free adition works like a charm
amirkpe
airh3ad wrote:

I suggest Norton AntiVirus . both firewall and antivirus are great .but I can't deny that it'll kill your system . :d
Laughing
pookpooi
Norton 2006 close my gateway for maximum protect
AVG broke the ADSL Modem Driver
all anti virus cache your ram

Firewall strong enough
SoftStag
pookpooi wrote:

I'm not sure how this is possible. I have never had any such issue and installed it on many systems.
Nutorious
SoftStag wrote:
pookpooi wrote:

I'm not sure how this is possible. I have never had any such issue and installed it on many systems.

Probably wasnt avg... ? Or it could have blocked something which made the drivers go a bit funny
Srs2388
I use Zone Alarm security suite, it has firewall, antivirus,spyware,adware IM secure...... etc. it is a really good protection program unlike Norton it dosn't slow your computer down.....
I've also used AVG no complaints on that at all
SoftStag
Srs2388 wrote:
I use Zone Alarm security suite, it has firewall, antivirus,spyware,adware IM secure...... etc. it is a really good protection program unlike Norton it dosn't slow your computer down.....
I've also used AVG no complaints on that at all

Zone Alarm is good, but I find that the Windows XP firewall is sufficient for most people.
teamxplicit_505
northcoast wrote:

A good free one you might want to try is Avast! Antivirus. Its pretty good you might want to check it out before paying money on one.

I second that northcoast. Ive used Avast for awhile now after getting upset with the expensive norton and mcafee anti-viruses. Avast works really good!
FatalChaos
Best on demand scanner - Kaspersky (5.0 or 2006 beta)
best real time scanners - NOD32, Bitdefender, Dr.Web
best heurestics -NOD32 or Bitdefender 9.0
least resource usage - NOD32, Dr.Web, VBA
vengomatto
Yes! I'm using Avast! for a couple of year and it's the better I have ever used. Light, quick, free for personal use, with small update.
Be away from Norton...
papercut
i use Trend Micro on one PC, and AVG antivirus on another. Norton uses all of the HD!!! and slooooooows down the computer!!!!!
harwelltx
I haave been using AVG on my home systems for a couple of years with no problems. You cant beat the price.
rajhank
Get Kaspersky

It works best for me and many other users.
froginabox
"Best" depends on your price range and what you do with your system.

I have a corporate edition of Symantec AntiVirus on my laptop (it does double duty as a work machine and the IT boss gave me a copy), it is perfect to me. Unobtrusive (unlike McAfee), very reliable, and doesn't suck up too much resources when doing background stuff.

For free, AVG or Kaspersky are the best in my opinion.
rajhank
froginabox wrote:
"Best" depends on your price range and what you do with your system.

I have a corporate edition of Symantec AntiVirus on my laptop (it does double duty as a work machine and the IT boss gave me a copy), it is perfect to me. Unobtrusive (unlike McAfee), very reliable, and doesn't suck up too much resources when doing background stuff.

For free, AVG or Kaspersky are the best in my opinion.

Kaspersky isnt' free.

Only trial version for 30 days is free.

Then, u have to buy the license.
Animal
This seems to be an old thread that has been dug-up. We now have an Official Security Software thread where you can discuss the best Anti-Virus, Firewall and Anti-Spyware software. Please check there where loads of people have commented on their favourite security software.

-close-