FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there a Diffrence?

lowridincrew
i have 512mb of ram and its 2100 would a higher number of ram make a diffrence between perfomance like 2700 or 3200
gh0stface
The difference between 2100, 2700 and 3200 is the frequency that the RAM would be running at.

If you bought a stick of 2700 to add to your 2100 to combine 1 gig of RAM, the 2700 RAM would underclock to the 2100 speeds.

So something like:

512 Megs of 2100 + 512 Megs of 2700 = 1 Gig of 2100
djclue917
Add would just add a little more bit of information...

The numbers 2100, 2700, 3200, etc. does refer to the frequency (or speed) of the RAM. However, this does not mean that a 2100 RAM runs at 2100 MHz (2.1 GHz) or a 3200 RAM runs at 3200 MHz (3.2 GHz). I am not familiar with the true speeds of RAM specs other than the PC3200 which runs at (200 MHz). If dual-channel is supported by your motherboard, and you use PC3200 RAMs, then the overall speed would be 400 MHz.

Some info on dual-channel:

Please take note that dual-channel capability is not a feature of RAM but instead, a feature of the Motherboard. So do not get confused by misleading marketing tags on RAMs like "Dual-channel RAM" because there is no such thing. Of course, to be able to take advantage of dual-channel, you need to use identical pairs of RAM.

HTH
Naif
Yes, ofcourse you'll see a performance difference if you use a PC2700 or a PC3200 memory module instead of a PC2100. But first you'll have to make sure your motherboard supports higher rated modules. If for example it does not support a PC2700 module, i.e. a DDR 333 module, it will run it at a slower speed it supports.

The theorotical bandwidth which can be achieved by a PC2100, PC2700 and a PC3200 modules is 2.13 GB/s, 2.66 GB/s, and 3.20 GB/s, respectively. So as you can see, the difference here is obvious.
knux
yes now say your running a 266 memory module you should be able to install a 333 or a 400 but it may only run at a 266 speed depending on your existing memory which is a 266 and whether your mobo allows for the higher speeds to actually go that high. in short you may buy a 333 or a 400 but it may not go as fast as you once thought.
lowridincrew
Ok do any of you guys know where i can get a good priced motherboard and a Athlon 64 processor at?
Naif
lowridincrew wrote:
Ok do any of you guys know where i can get a good priced motherboard and a Athlon 64 processor at?

Do you have any particular requirements? And which mobo are you using right now?
knux
um well just froogle it or go to places like tiger direct or newegg to actually find the best prices you need to compare yourself.
lowridincrew
I have a Compaq Presario 7500 IDK what type of motherboard it has currently. I have a Radeon 9200 Graphics Card And 512 mb 2100 Ram
knux
ok well heres the deal you need to know what current cpu you have what socket or slot its using and then check to see if its upgradeable. then you need to check copatability with that mobo. otherwise you may buy a cpu that may not work
knux
now you can get a tool called sandra or can run a dxdiag diagnostics test to find out your cpu.
Naif
I dont know which motherboard is used by the Compaq Presario 7500 series. You'll need to use a tool like Everest Home Edition or PC Wizard 2006 to figure out the name and model number of your motherboard.
lowridincrew
I Have A Phoenix - AWARD BIOS v6.00PG
Naif
lowridincrew wrote:
I Have A Phoenix - AWARD BIOS v6.00PG

Name of the BIOS wont help.
knux
ok im going to help you out alot!

here are pics of what you need to do.

first open the run dialog from the start menu

next type dxdiag and hit run

this will bring up the dx diagnostics. now look where it says processor. thats what we need to know.
lowridincrew
oh duh im a duMMie lol

AMD Athlon XP 2200+
knux
that means you have an a or a 754 mobo which means that you might be able to upgrade to a 64 but it being a 2200 i doubt it. you prob have an A.

an anthlon 939 which is the best one to get bc you can upgrade it later. will cost you about$150 atleast. and the mobo will run you from $70 to $500 depending on what you want on it. PCIE or AGP 8x or 4GB memory compacity. ect...
lowridincrew
Is AGP Better Or PCI
Naif
lowridincrew wrote:
Is AGP Better Or PCI

PCIE is better and most propably will replace AGP soon. So go for a mobo with a PCIE slot. And PCIE cards are cheaper than their AGP counterparts.
gh0stface
knux wrote:
that means you have an a or a 754 mobo which means that you might be able to upgrade to a 64 but it being a 2200 i doubt it. you prob have an A.

an anthlon 939 which is the best one to get bc you can upgrade it later. will cost you about$150 atleast. and the mobo will run you from $70 to $500 depending on what you want on it. PCIE or AGP 8x or 4GB memory compacity. ect...

Eh.. I don't think he'll be able to upgrade to a 64 processor. He has a Socket A proccessor... which means if he wants to upgrade, he's going to have to buy a completely new motherboard and processor and RAM so his old RAM won't be the bottleneck.
lowridincrew
Im going to buy a totally new motherborad and im going to get a>>
PMS800BMS Mother Borad
Intel Celeron D OEM Processor 346 3.06 GHz
Naif
lowridincrew wrote:
Im going to buy a totally new motherborad and im going to get a>>
PMS800BMS Mother Borad
Intel Celeron D OEM Processor 346 3.06 GHz

Why a celeron and why that motherboard Confused Correct me if I am wrong but the motherboard you have mentioned is designed by mach speed technologies. No offense meant towards them but I think they arent well recognised. If I was in your shoes, I would either go for a P4 or an Athlon 64. And I would buy a motherboard manufactured by, in order of preference:

1. ASUS
2. Intel (if it were an intel processor I was buying)
3. Gigabyte/MSI

And by the way, I googled for the PMS800 and read its specs. The board has an AGP and not a PCIE card.

PS: Do consider my suggestions. I promise, you wont regret
lowridincrew
Ok i am going to buy a P4