FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

linux server

mschnell
i'm interested in knowing what os i'd want for running a linux server... i have regular redhat... i also want to know how well you need to firewall a server...or what you need to do to provide enough of a firewall...

thanks a ton,
-matt
Marston
All I know is that Apache 1.3.33 is probably the best Linux distro to host web sites on...
Naif
If you want to use a Linux distro then you can choose from Slackware or Debian where as for Unix based, FreeBSD or Solaris.
djclue917
mschnell wrote:
i'm interested in knowing what os i'd want for running a linux server... i have regular redhat... i also want to know how well you need to firewall a server...or what you need to do to provide enough of a firewall...

thanks a ton,
-matt

Your statements are quite misleading... Of course if you want to run a Linux server then the Operating System must be a Linux distro like Red Hat, Fedora, K/Ubuntu, etc.

Are you referring to a web server? If yes, then you might want to install Apache (v1.x) or Apache 2 (v2.x) because as far as I know, Microsoft IIS does not work on any other Operating System other than Windows (especially Linux-based OSes of course. Very Happy)

There are many firewall applications (or more accurately, front-ends) for Linux. I am currently using Firestarter right now. It's a very easy-to-use firewall with a GUI. Other firewalls might just be a front-end to IPTables or the like. I highly recommend Firestarter.

-> http://www.fs-security.com

HTH
corey
I see this question, or one like it, a lot at linuxquestions.org

My advice is to get whatever's newest (so Redhat no, but Fedora yes) and you'll be fine. If you're comfortable using the distro, then its the right one for you. To host a website(s), you'll need a webserver, which all distros have in their repositories (or you could always compile the source code if you had to) and likely on the install cd. Apache is the most well known and is very powerful. It runs most of the world's websites (oh, like frihost...). There are plenty of others, though.

djclue917 is correct in stating that IIS won't run on Linux, but that's a good thing (buggy, insecure and attacked the most).

As far as firewall, there's likely to be one on your installation cd as well. Firestarter is good. An antivirus program is a nice idea too, so that you don't spread Windows virii as they pass through your machine. Clamav is good for that.

A great place to go and find this type of info is Google (yeah, youv'e heard this before, right?). Try google.com/linux (there are specialized searches for other OSs too). You'll be surprised at how many useful hits you'll get by narrowing down to just linux searches.

Good luck.
mschnell
Thanks for all your help; I think I've figured out a lot in the past few days and think I'll be ok now.

-matt
Dino
i recommend Debian or Slackware for servers and install on debian or slackware webmin
ocalhoun
Almost any linux distro can be used as a server.
I would recommend for the first timer- Fedora core 1.
It has a simple option during instalation to install packages (applicaitons and libraries) good for a server.