FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

12 stuck in mine

please.be.quiet
did anybody hear about the 12 people trapped inside of the cave. one of them, before he died, wrote a note to his family saying that they were going to die of suffucation.
maclui
yes they are death now
Lord Klorel
The 13th miner is still crital condition, but about what i heard and readed he responded on sounds from his wife and children.

News link to BBC

News report from the BBC link

Doomed miners' last notes found

The mining accident is West Virginia's worst since 1968
A last note to loved ones by one of the 12 miners who died in a West Virginian mining accident has been made public.
Martin Toler, 51, a section foreman, wrote: "It wasn't bad. I just went to sleep. I love you".

Several notes were found by the victims in a tragedy made more poignant because relatives were led to believe for three hours the miners were still alive.

The sole survivor is showing some signs of improvement but is still in a critical condition, say his doctors.

Randal McCloy Jr, 26, was moved to a hospital in Pittsburgh on Thursday for intensive oxygen treatments to reduce his carbon monoxide levels.

Tell all I'll see them on the other side

Martin Toler's note

Dr Richard Shannon warned that his brain had been damaged and he was being kept in a medically-induced coma.

But his wife, Anna, told ABC's Good Morning America that her husband had responded to her and their three children.

"I know he knows I'm there because when I'm there, he gets excited," she said.

Martin Toler's nephew, Randy Toler, told CNN that he thought his uncle had left the note, "to set our minds at ease, that he didn't suffer".

The mine authorities say a number of notes were found by the miners, who were discovered behind a plastic curtain they had erected in a doomed attempt to block out the deadly carbon monoxide.

They were found more than 42 hours after a blast in the Sago Mine on Monday left the 13 miners trapped some two miles (3km) inside the mine.

One miner died almost immediately.

Poor communication led to widespread reports that the remaining 12 had been found alive.

IN GRAPHICS

How events unfolded
US media exposed

Families of those trapped and millions around the world thought for three hours that all were safe, until the grim reality actually emerged.

International Coal Group, the company which owns the mine, expressed its deep regret for the miscommunication, but said it had wanted to be certain of their facts before making any announcements.

It is not yet known what caused West Virginia's worst mining disaster since 1968.

A full federal inquiry into the disaster has begun. An eight-person team, apppointed by the Mine Safety and Health Administration, will also look into the communication breakdown.

The Sago Mine was cited for more than 40 alleged violations of federal mine health and safety rules during an 11-week review that ended in December, according to reports.
S3nd K3ys
I remember hearing that one of the notes said something like "we died peacefully and painlessly".

Did he write it after he died or what???

Oh, BTW, President Bush was somehow responsible for THIS too.

Quote:
How Bush Failed the Sago 13
by Scott Shields

I haven't seen much discussion of it in the blogosphere, but there are 13 coal miners trapped under 260 feet of dirt right now in West Virginia. It's worthy of discussion here because, once upon a time, these guys were the bread and butter of the Democratic Party -- industrial workers doing hard labor to support their families. Now, they're just as likely to vote Republicans on social issues as they are Democrats on pocketbook issues. But none of that really matters now. What matters now is that air quality tests are indicating very high levels of carbon monoxide in the mine. What matters now is that rescuers heard no response when then tried to contact the miners. What matters now is their families back on the surface.

Undoubtedly, some will criticize me for placing blame on President Bush here. The defense will be that Bush didn't cause the explosion that collapsed the mine. My response will be that he didn't do anything to prevent it. In fact, if anything, the actions of his administration made the situation worse.

SunburnedCactus
But Bush is like Superman. He's supposed to save everyone from everything!
S3nd K3ys
SunburnedCactus wrote:
But Bush is like Superman. He's supposed to save everyone from everything!

No no no.

You've got it all wrong. He's the one responsible for everything. Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Terrorists, The Failing Economy and Unemployment, Global Warming, Boming Japan, Being Adolf Hitler, Blowing up the Levy in Nawlins to kill black folk, Coal Miners Dying, Eating Babys....
SunburnedCactus
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Being Adolf Hitler, Blowing up the Levy in Nawlins to kill black folk, Coal Miners Dying, Eating Babys....

Hahaha. Laughing

Gross.
Soulfire
So it seems, and it's tragic. I'm sure Bush just knew that the mine collapse was going to happen and ignored it. I'm sure he is the one that called up mother nature and ordered Hurricane Katrina, and I'm sure he told Al Queda to fly the airplanes into WTC.

People, you cannot blame every little thing on the president. You didn't do anything to prevent the explosion, did you? You didn't know it would happen, did you? Exactly, there is nothing we could've done.

It was a peaceful end and they're in a better place, that's a solace for even me.
DX-Blog
Lol, when bush is being discussed about as a bad leader here it generally is about the decisions he makes which go against of the accepted standards here. In his own country he is being shittalked for not having put on some pink panties, flown into the mines, used his laser vision to destroy the rocks and use his super strength to carry them all out at once? Razz

Now I personally don't like Bush as a president, but I won't go say it's his fault that this accident in the mine occured or anything like that.

The arguements during Katrina, instead of being something like:
Evacuation possibilities should have been started up front, since it was known several days before that the hurricane was of an extreme strength.

or

The US has been experiencing hurricanes for a very long time now, they should have worked on a defence against the sea to save themselves from things like this, instead of now starting with that after the horror has already occured.

It would in the US be something like?:
It's Bush's fault, he should have flew over there with his super powers and blow the storm away. He didn't care though and let all the black people die!

Razz
Insanity
Soulfire wrote:
So it seems, and it's tragic. I'm sure Bush just knew that the mine collapse was going to happen and ignored it. I'm sure he is the one that called up mother nature and ordered Hurricane Katrina, and I'm sure he told Al Queda to fly the airplanes into WTC.

People, you cannot blame every little thing on the president. You didn't do anything to prevent the explosion, did you? You didn't know it would happen, did you? Exactly, there is nothing we could've done.

It was a peaceful end and they're in a better place, that's a solace for even me.

Right on. There are of course some things that the President is responsible for, but to expect him to be able to save 12 trapped miners several thousand feet underground is just ridiculous.

If you ask me, the miscommunication nobody's fault but just the result from a bad combination of anxious relatives and over eager spokespeople.