FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Flash : when use it, when dont use it

wizzie
i strongly recomend to make menu's/buttons with flash
They are easy to make and nice to see
A site with flash can be very good too but only if it is for introducing something like a movie or a game.
If you have a site with lots of content and text you should make it with dreamweaver or a similar program
Flash sites can work rly nice .. if they are built well
But sometimes the site goes slow , annoying things happen when you click on something and you cant copie text from a flashsite
(unless it is well built).and so on...
So only if you are realy experienced with flash you should make a site in flash .

anyone has an another opinion? post it here

greetz
mano
I always try to make menu with text links if it is possible. This way it's easier for all: webmasters, visitors, search engines, etc. To say the truth, I personally don't think it's good idea to use flash at all except for presentational websites for users with fast internet connections.
ml
Quote:
i strongly recomend to make menu's/buttons with flash

i strongly disrespect you for that statement Very Happy

if anybody like me has turne off falsh (oh, yes these people exist,
there are even some that have turned off java and javascript (!))
if these people visit your site, and you made your buttons with flash,
the wont be able to use it and leave soon Confused
DX-Blog
There are a lot of people which have turned of java, not just some Wink.

Flash for sites is something which I hate for only buttons or so. A banner in flash is ok, but as for buttons and the rest I hate to see it partially in flash. The only nice thing is if the entire page is in flash, but there are only a very few sites out there fully in flash which look and function perfectly.
tolgaist
I prefer flash to add just banner or some part of my sites. Not all of them. According to profs. to combine all progs is a better solution on websites;)
nevzaimnij
I'm never using flash, because it's making page to load slower...

Power in simplicity Wink
Rauf
I can't make anything in Flash, like for now i'm trying to follow some tuts but it's not that helpful as a book. So thats why i ordered a book! Very Happy

i'm a Dutch guy and i can't talk verywell in English i apologize for that. Embarassed
krazycapital
My opinion is: If you are going to use flash, make the WHOLE site in flash. If you aren't don't use any flash at all. Banners, okay, maybe. But other than that, I use that rule. Also note: Games are okay. So I don't like flash menus as much as normal ones.
sgwreviews
I've used a flash navigation bar here: www.freespaces.com/teselite
I used it because of the submenu thingy,
you guys think I should use something else? If so any suggestions please.
krazycapital
On your site, that one looks good. It goes with the theme, and looks like it belongs. The only problem is it takes a long time to load, expecially over dial up. (speed report [url]=http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/wso.php?url=http://www.freespaces.com/teselite/here[/url])
Reign
about the speed thing and the fact that flash loads slowly...

If you code it right, it doesn't have to be slow... in some cases it will be faster then some html website.

Flash uses vectors and loads in most cases faster than sites with tons of tables and images... (if you code it right)

So I say, use flash if you know how to use flash...
wizzie
yes thats what i said if its built well the site will load propably
For the buttons i agree now that maybe better to use javascript
thx for sharing your opninion !

greetz
nike88
only use flash for banners and menus, dont use for whole sites as it lags some browsers and slow net speeds.
oh, and games and animations Very Happy
Sappho
nike88 wrote:
only use flash for banners and menus, dont use for whole sites as it lags some browsers and slow net speeds.

Yea and i bet Flash is the reason for a poor situation of some 3rd world countries Laughing Come on all of u, stop posting this made up reasons why not to use flash. Smile
jaysen
its not the flash that slows things down, its when people put too much into it that makes it slow... say you have a larger site... you make it in only one flash file... well you just succeeded in forcing anyone who wants to see you site have to download the entire in order to even see what its about... maybe not a big deal with a fast connection, but many people don't have a super fast connection... or the patience to wait.

Myself, i believe theres nothing wrong with flash in itself... if done properly, it can add a lot of bang to your "presentation." But.....if not done properly it can be a huge pain in the tookus for everyone, including yourself. (For example the task of simply changing a dead or outdated link later on, or any other simple tasks in html pose a larger problem in flash.) Also, keep in mind that if you want to draw visitors to your site, by using flash you're killing off any idea of search engines picking up on your site to display for anyone who may be searching for you're style of content (they are designed to read text not flash)

That said, it is always nice to have a backup plan for the people who don't enable it as well, if you do decide to go that route
madsencarl
jaysen wrote:
its not the flash that slows things down, its when people put too much into it that makes it slow... say you have a larger site... you make it in only one flash file... well you just succeeded in forcing anyone who wants to see you site have to download the entire in order to even see what its about... maybe not a big deal with a fast connection, but many people don't have a super fast connection... or the patience to wait.

Wrongo. If you know a bit of ActionScript (Flash coding language) you can easily set your site to only load whatever your user clicks on, saving time and bandwidth.

As for me, I have the header and sidebar in flash - www.thecrib.be. It's still crawlable by search engines thanks to the footer links at the bottom.
Dean_The_Great
I used Flash to design my entire site, although I am fairly new to it (http://www.deanrideout.frih.net). I know it needs serious work, and I've already begun re-designing. Does anyone have any tips on how I can code it more effectively to load in all machines effectively?

Also, if the entire site is built in flash, what do you prefer: one .swf coded properly for loading, or seperate .swfs with loaders in front of each.

Also, how do I make this type of a website crawlable?!
jaysen
I understand your point madisoncarl.... lots of ways to "break up" a flash site to make it easier to load... problem is a lot of the more "amatuer" sites don't do it that way.. then to top it off they load the flash up with other images, sounds etc to make it fancier, adding to the sizes dramatically.

Myself, i believe theres nothing wrong with flash in itself... if done properly, it can add a lot of bang to your "presentation." But.....if not done properly it can be a huge pain in the tookus for everyone[/b]
Mizzro
Some flash sites are nice... But I wouldnt like the whole thing to be flash... I used to have a plugin for my FireFox(Browser I use) and I had to remove it because to load any flash images I had to click each one, 1 by 1, load the page agian, etc, etc, etc... Just too time consuming...

I guess if you are planning on using it, Think of the people who are going to be visiting the website. Another good thing would be to have your flash site (Hi-Fi Website) and just an HTML copy (Low-Hi Website) So that people that do not want the flash and view a basic html version of it.