FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CMOS always reset at restart

maia
hi!

i've got this problem with my PC.

whenever i start it up, or restart, the date is always reset to the default. it's the same with all the BIOS or CMOS settings.

i already changed the battery, so i don't know what else could be the problem
babumuchhala
Try flashing ur CMOS. Go to ur Mobo manufacturers site and get the new one. It will also have all the details abt how to do it.

Or u have been cheated. The battery given too u is also not perfect
maia
if my battery is good and updating the CMOS doesn't solve it, what could be the other causes of this problem?

i'd like to know the other possible causes and suggested solutions
babumuchhala
or maybe ur ppin settings that control's the CMOS is wrongly set.
maia
babumuchhala wrote:

can you elaborate on this please Smile i have no idea what ppin settings are
babumuchhala
there is nothing like ppin, it was just a typo.

There are jumpers on the mobo that controll ur BIOS setting. You mus carefully scan the mobo to find them (generally near the battery) Then see if the pins are connected properly. There are 3 pins & 2 will be connected by some means. The mobo has tiny prints to tell u the proper way to connect them.

I say check these settings before u do anything else
SoftStag
You should also use this jumper to reset the BIOS. Then go in to the BIOS setup, load the defaults and save and exit. See if that works.

To reset the BIOS using the jumper, you need to find the jumper usually closest to the battery, and often marked JBAT1 (this is a green jumper on MSI boards). There are 3 pins, it will be across 2 of them, you need to move them to cover the one that is not already covered and the middle pin (DO THIS WITH THE PC TURNED OFF, but plugged in to the mains to earth it, but the wall switch OFF). Now Turn the mains on and press the power button on the front of the PC (often nothing will appear to happen). Now turn the mains off at the wall and return the jumper to the original position. Now power it all up again and go in to BIOS Setup (usually by pressing the Delete key), load the defaults, Save and Exit. Hopefully all should work fine now....
headlong
There is another possibility. Are you sure that your previous battery is not leaking something? If so, there might be some short-cut circuit that causes your new battery die out quickly. Open your computer box and have a look seriously.
NuniPio
babumuchhala wrote:

isnt it that your comp wont boot up if u have the pins set to clear the CMOS...and also what is the model of you motherboard that you are using
babumuchhala
NuniPio wrote:
babumuchhala wrote:

isnt it that your comp wont boot up if u have the pins set to clear the CMOS...and also what is the model of you motherboard that you are using
yes it will start, but should give out some beeps, to tell the user that its starting at default settings
SoftStag
babumuchhala wrote:
NuniPio wrote:
babumuchhala wrote:

yes it will start, but should give out some beeps, to tell the user that its starting at default settings

Very few mobos will allow the system to boot with the CMOS reset jumper set incorrectly.
papercut
mine had that problem, i just told ebuyer, and they gave me a new one! lol
harwelltx
I had a similar problem once. My motherboard had a fault in it. It ran fine for a while, but once it got hot, it would freeze up. Upon rebooting The bios settings were back to the defaults. I bet you only need a battery though.