FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Formatting a particular partition

MWANGI
I recently installed Mandrake 8.0 on my laptop how do I uninstall the OS without formating the rest of the partitions which contains Win98 and 2000
Specs
Toshiba 2060 cds
AMD processor
32 MB RAM
40 GB
quartz
Boot win2000. Open Control panel>Administrative tools>Computer Management> Disk Management. Find and delete all non FAT or NTFS partitions. Create new partitions with FAT or NTFS, format them and reboot PC.

Boot loader(GRUB or LILO) will be unchanged, so one entry in it will point to deleted linux. I sugest to correct config and reinstall boot loader when booted linux, before deleting partitions.
corey
Easier, if you have your Win 2000 cd:

Boot the cd, as if you're gonna install. When it gets done finding all your hardware, etc, and is read for install, hit "R" to get to recovery console. You'll get a prompt (prolly need to put in your admin password). Type
Code:
fixmbr
and then type
Code:
fixboot
and reboot your machine without the cd. You should be booting into Windows and Mandrake won't be one of the choices. Then you can follow the instructions above to delete the non-Windows partition (or reformat).

This will ensure that you'll be able to boot after deleting Linux (/etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst wouldn't be there to tell the bootloader where to boot otherwise).

Good luck.
MWANGI
Thanks alot guys. I'll try that right now. Cool
gh0stface
No need to double post.

-Locked-