FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Under Wattage

Freezon
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you knew the results of running a video card under the recommended power wattage. Would it fry the card? I am not too sure on this and would like some feedback. Thanks.
root
Don't risk it. How many watts is your power supply? For high-end video cards you'll probably need a power supply of at least 500W. Those things are hogs.
Freezon
The card I am thinking about getting says a minimum of 250W power supply and my current power is 175W.
SoftStag
You won't damage your graphics card by having an underpowered power supply. You may damage your PSU, but even that is unlikely. If the PSU isn't powerful enough, then you will more than likely experience an unstable system, causing crashing and possibly system shutdown. These days 300W is a bare minimum for a reasonable system. If you are currently using a 175W PSU, then a 250W may be enough for you, but for the price difference I wouldn't risk it, go for a 300W.
Naif
A 175W PSU is very low acc. to current standard requirements. Replace it with a 400W PSU. If you install the video card on your current PSU, you wont end up frying it but if the PSU overloads, it might get defused.

You may want to use a PSU Watt calculator to see how much watts your system is using. Here are two:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp
Freezon
Ok thanks for the feedback guys. So before installing my new GFX I should upgrade the supply eh? Would I be taking a huge risk if not?
SoftStag
Freezon wrote:
Ok thanks for the feedback guys. So before installing my new GFX I should upgrade the supply eh? Would I be taking a huge risk if not?

No, like I said, the only thing you are likely to damage is the existing PSU. Beware though, you may think it is fine, then start playing a game and the system could crash...
Freezon
Quote:
No, like I said, the only thing you are likely to damage is the existing PSU. Beware though, you may think it is fine, then start playing a game and the system could crash...

Ah, I see. A 400-Watt PSU is only about 45 dollars so I think I will buy one. Thanks again guys.
gonzo
instead of randomly guessing just do the math and work out your minimum power requirements
djclue917
Underwattage consequence? The PSU explodes!
Yes, that's very true. It happened to me a while back when we got our old damage power supply replaced with a newer one.

The jerks that did the job didn't made sure that the power rating was high enough to support my system unit.

Before exploding, the PSU smelled like it was being fried! Very Happy
Then finally, BOOOM!

Newer PCI Express video cards would eat up as much as 175 W of power. You'll need at least 450W to support your system. Of course, it all depends on what hardware is actually installed. Like gonzo said, just do the math. Smile

Hope that helps...
corey
Before you shell out for a power supply locally, you might want to check out Ebay, as I just got one for $6.99USD ("buy it now") with $19.99 shipping to Eastern Canada from California. Its new with a 1 year warranty. you never know what's out there. Oh, by the way, its 480 wattsm (and its quiet!).
ocalhoun
Just add a second power supply!
If you have the room in your case and a little metalworking talent, it's easy.
SoftStag
corey wrote:
Before you shell out for a power supply locally, you might want to check out Ebay, as I just got one for $6.99USD ("buy it now") with $19.99 shipping to Eastern Canada from California. Its new with a 1 year warranty. you never know what's out there. Oh, by the way, its 480 wattsm (and its quiet!).

Cheap power supplies often do not perform well under load, they are also less efficient, noisier and more liable to fail. A good quality power supply is an important part of a stable, trouble free system.
Freezon
Alright, thanks for the feedback on the PSU guys. I am just going to buy a seperate PSU and then the card.
technology.sponge
running a power sucking vid card ona 175watt psu is not gonna damage the card - if u hav a cheap generaic psu, it will fry it but if u hav a decent thermaltake/antec etc. card, they should auto shutdown

175watts is very low for a pc
most barebones come with 250watt

try upgrading to 350watt minimum 450+ is better
jaysen
175 watts? I've got a couple old 486's here with bigger powerpacks than that.... like a few other people in here said it is a good idea not to skimp on your power supply for various reasons.. (stability being a big factor in itself.)

when you shop for one keep a close eye on what you're getting.. many are advertised at x amount of wattage, but in reality thats only "peak" wattage, and the power curves out quickly under sustained loads... if you can afford a server power supply, they are generally better and give a cleaner power.

And if you overload your power supply some of the chaeper ones will spike, usually frying something in the process. ( i learnt that one the hard way Laughing )