FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free downloadable ebooks

aalmighty
Many ebooks are no longer copyright protected and so can be shared freely in any form. This thread is to share book sources like that. You are also encouraged to share your free legal ebook sources here. To start off, I'll share a couple

1. Project Gutenberg - Project Gutenberg is the first and largest single collection of free electronic books, or eBooks. Michael Hart, founder of Project Gutenberg, invented eBooks in 1971 and continues to inspire the creation of eBooks and related technologies today. You can download your books in plain text format. Some of the books which are illustrated can be downloaded in pdf format.

Project Gutenberg can be accessed at http://www.gutenberg.org.

2. University of Virginia Electronic Texts center - has pursued twin missions with equal seriousness of purpose since its inception in 1992:

To build and maintain an internet-accessible collection of SGML and XML-encoded texts and images

To build and maintain user communities adept at the creation and use of these materials

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/

3. Nalanda Digital Library at NIT Calicut, India

Nalanda Etext Conversion Project aims at converting the Public Domain Etexts in raw text format into eBooks in easily Screen-Readable PDF Format.The PDF books are optimised for screen-reading using Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or higher.The font size is selected for easy reading on screen and may not be suitable for printing.

It can be accessed from http://www.nalanda.nitc.ac.in/resources/english/etext-project/

you are welcome to add your own, and moderators are requested to make this sticky.
birdteam
Hello Everyone,

here is another free audiobook site

LibriVox: free audiobooks

LibriVox volunteers record chapters of books in the public domain, and then we release the audio files back onto the net (podcast and catalog). Our objective is to make all books in the public domain available, for free, in audio format on the internet. We are a totally volunteer, open source, free content, public domain project.

here is the url http://librivox.org/
grnsmilie
I like to read my e-books on a pocket pc. PDFs don't always load properly on mine, and I hate reading plain .txt files, so I usually get my e-books from Black Mask. They offer e-books in many, many different formats.
michael88
anyone can provide some e-book website about the e-commerce? i am writing a paper about it, thanks in advance!
grnsmilie
michael88 wrote:
anyone can provide some e-book website about the e-commerce? i am writing a paper about it, thanks in advance!

Not e-book websites, but these might still be useful.

E-Commerce Times
E-Commerce Research Forum
Digital Marketing, Electronic Retailing and Supply Chain Management
FTC E-Commerce Information
ben8coast
How easy do you find it to read a book on a pda.

I'm an avid reader and would love to be able to access many books whilst travelling and not have to carry all of them.

I have a reasonable collection of ebooks and often thought that they would be great on a pda - I don't own one.

Do you find that there isn't enough room for the text or does one get used to it?
IceCameron
Since you all know of so many ebooks, how about audiobooks?
Is there anywhere you can download them?
I looked at the audiobook link and they dont have what im looking for so..
nevzaimnij
www.lib.ru <<< Very Big Literature and Music ( with audio books ) library in russian language Wink
udaykamboj
I need ebooks on a few topics so please if anyone can help me out here:

1. Photography

2. Creative writting.

3. VLSI

4. Microelectronics

Any of the above would be a great help. I have surfed a few sites and am still unable to find any usefull material.

If anyone has any info of the above topics please be free to post a reply and I shall have a look at your suggestions.

Thankyou vrey much

C ya

Chao

Ciao

Buh Bye
matrix07
IF YOU WANT FREE BOOKS YOU CAN GO TO DIS WEBSITE:
www.free-ebooks.net.
HERE YOU WILL GET VARIOUS BOOKS LIKE:HEALTH,MARKETING,RELIGIOUS,
BUSINESS ADVERTISING AND LOTS MORE!!
Gieter
I don't like e-books that much, reading a book which is made of paper is much easier than reading a book on a screen. I even wouldn't find the courage to read it. Smile If there will be a screen with the same light-reflecting properties as paper, I might start reading e-books.
Nameless
Gieter wrote:
I don't like e-books that much, reading a book which is made of paper is much easier than reading a book on a screen. I even wouldn't find the courage to read it. Smile If there will be a screen with the same light-reflecting properties as paper, I might start reading e-books.

Well you could always take the e-book and, oh I don't know, print it out?
Gieter
Nameless wrote:
Gieter wrote:

Well you could always take the e-book and, oh I don't know, print it out?

I still prefer books. Those are binded, have a nice cover, are nicer to read,.. and I'm not willing to spend paper and printer's ink on it Wink
siddhartha
Although, you have mentioned about project Gutenberg, you have not mentioned about its free DVD/CD project..
Go to:
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu/cdproject/dvdreq-int.html
for all international people(except US) and order free DVD/CD containing about 10000 eBooks..
And for US, go to:
http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu/cdproject/dvdreq-usa.html

Hope this post is useful to many people...
Very Happy
>> Sid
budiman
Maybe the most comprehensive place to get computer ebook is in www.ilmukomputer.com

Most topics about computing are in the website and free.
crimson_aria
It's my first time trying ebook. Though I prefer real books. Thanks for the links.
Traveller
Some excellent resources, especially the University of Virginia - I've gotten a lot of good materials from them for a long time.

Be careful what you post here, however: I had to remove a few links because they did not point to legitimate sights of public-domain ebooks, but to illegal, pirated copies of copyrighted works, which directly violates the FriHost Terms of Service and Forum Rules.

There is no reason to lock or remove this thread, since I simply removed the illegal posts.

Please continue to post legal links, and be aware that, MOST of the time, books about computer topics (esp. current programming guides for PHP, MySQL, etc.) are copyrighted, and have not been placed into the public domain by their publishers. Even if you may be able to view the book freely over the Internet via a publisher's website, that does not mean they have granted anyone the license to post the entire book for download elsewhere.
web_harman
hey i have a quite popular website

i am thinking of posting some ebooks but it was wriiten on the website from where i downloadded them that they are copywrited....

so can LEGALLY post them on my website
osuchin
you can try this one http://sharedebooks.blogspot.com
georgeodowd
That LibriVox website looks exciting. I've recently become interested in doing some audiobooks, just for my own amusement, but knowing that there's a place to do this for the benefit of others is pretty neat. Thanks for the link!
Wildchild
hey thanks guys for the wonderful sites me ..............it surly was a great discovery for me .
ato784
There are also Ebook readers which suposely have the paper reflection properties that was mentioned above and do not stran the eyes. however it costs $1000. so instead of wasting money you should just buy books...end of story.
ato784
you could also listen to ther books for librivox etc. which i recommend, that is if you want books out of copy right, for new books you should buy the books (when i say buy i mean the paper version, because the Offical versions of the audio books Very Happy are extremely expensive)
c'tair
Theres a wonderful place, one of the *chans. A sort of bookchan (google and thou shalt find). It has loads of ebooks, although most of them are about fiction and nonfiction, one can still find a great deal of scientific works, textbooks etc.
Just thought I'd share, it's my main source of reading for over a year.
sondosia
Unfortunately, I quickly get REALLY sick of reading only classics...
devaco
Thank you for the links...
blk3
How exactly does this books lose their copyrights. Is it when the author has long died. Or is it a matter of years. I'm just curious as you said that the link is for those books no longer copyrighted, just what makes them lose their copyrights?