FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Does anyone know how to get your site to appear higher ?

sowing
Does anyone know how to get your site to appear higher in search engines? Or are there any paying services you can use to keep it up there?

thanks

J
Bondings
sowing wrote:
Does anyone know how to get your site to appear higher in search engines? Or are there any paying services you can use to keep it up there?

You can ask me whatever you want about this topic. To be clear, I don't claim to be an expert in SEO, but I read a lot about it and experimented a bit. I can't give you much information because your question is too general. SEO is a very big business and I can't give you a golden tip that will get you on #1.

The most important parts are

1. The links to your website. They must be direct (preferably non-reciprocal) links from authority (big) websites. The more the better, but avoid anything that may look like a link farm. (free for all links)

2. The text of the link towards your website is also very important. (the keywords)

3. On page factors like the h1-3 tags, bold text and certainly the title. Put a lot of keywords in them. It is on these keywords that you will be able to rank on google/yahoo/msn.

But it all depends on your website. And I shouldn't pay for it if I were you. By doing it yourself you don't have to pay those enormous sums and you learn a lot. And if you have luck, your website may get some decent traffic.
dionet
Another thing is unique visitors. If you have a lot of unique visitors your site will be on the top
pacslim
Well I have many high results for my free subdomain site, try searching for makaveli screensaver on google.com and my site is as result No 1!
How i do that well ?
not by paying but by:

making a good (htlm) original page without any major errors.

I used not to many meta tags keywords (max 20), also i never use meta tags keywords like download, forum ect their 2 common, and then your ranking will be lowered if u use em by search engines !

Make sure your submitted your website to many free search engines u can find em by searching for free search engine submissions on google for example or msn search and add your site,

Also get linked much by high ranked websites for example do a link exchange, and or make a webring on your site where sites that have the same content can submit their site too if they linke yours !

also make sure that the words u used as meta keywords are also used on the page their on so in the body then u 2 get higher ranked !

I hope u got enough info for now, later on if you need more information,
I will add sum more good hints and tips about this ! Wink Arrow
the666bbq
provide content to your site. You would be amazed how many sites are built hardly mentionning what they really are about. Do your own test : write down the keywords that describe your site, add the keywords you think people will use to find your site in a search engine. Mark the words that you have in both lists and count them in the text of your site. Do so for the different pages. I hope the result is not too painful.

Create a sitemap. While it can be a hard thing to maintain this page after some time it provides a way to the engines to find there way around your site, identifying all the pages correctly. Be sure to include the link to the sitemap on as many pages you have.

Before you even think of your project, think of the name of it. Names come in titles, and big font H tags. If they are meaningful they will be picked up by the engines. weAreTheSpiesOfTheWorld can be a nice name but will not get many results of engines unless you type the word completely in the search engine (hence know that site already).

When something is driving people (for instance mothers day, tsunami, new year,...) use those terms in you site to to attract possible wonderors looking for other things.

Use meaningfull names to images (not just Canon001.jpg, ...) and give the images a title/alt description : it is text you need.

keep away from flash, unless for some buttons or stuff
James Bond-007
I don'r know how do do it, but my forum, Q-Branch Forums is on the top of the search Laughing.
pacslim
James Bond-007 wrote:
I don'r know how do do it, but my forum, Q-Branch Forums is on the top of the search Laughing.

LOL well if u want to read what and what not to do, to appear higher in Google search engines look here http://www.google.com/intl/en/webmasters/guidelines.html
Wink Arrow
lloyd
I would say this
Use mambo
I seemeed to jump up google rankings after that, as you can easily metaevery page for it's specific useage.
Bondings
lloyd wrote:
I would say this
Use mambo
I seemeed to jump up google rankings after that, as you can easily meta every page for it's specific useage.

Google doesn't use the meta information for its rankings. Google only uses the description tags when it doesn't find another description of your website, but that doesn't mean it gets you ranked higher.
Other search engines do use the meta tags, but the effect is very small.
guy
you can sign up for some thing on google were it shows your site for free
animefan
A good idea to get rank is to put alot of search words in ur sites title. Like for instant, FriHost - we have great host, 24/7 help blah blah, then when you get past the area where people can't see what's in the title anymore, just put alot of webhosting search terms. It works, even though some sites suggest you don't do it.
Bondings
animefan wrote:
A good idea to get rank is to put alot of search words in ur sites title. Like for instant, FriHost - we have great host, 24/7 help blah blah, then when you get past the area where people can't see what's in the title anymore, just put alot of webhosting search terms. It works, even though some sites suggest you don't do it.

The search engines (SE) only look at the first words of the title, the amount of characters varies amongst the SE and changes from time to time. In the search results, the titles are truncated.

But you are right, you need to put your keywords in your title, but you also have to make it readable. A website should be made as a crossing between readability for the users and search engine optimisation (SEO).

Repeat your keywords, put them in bold, underline them, in italic, in H1/H2/H3 tags and in the main text, but never too much. It has to stay a normal text for the people who will read it.

You should take a look at our front page. The design is maybe not optimal. Wink , but at least it is SEO-optimised in contrast to other free webhosts.
However it is not really optimised for specific keywords yet. I will have to see which keywords are possible to get rankings for.
thame
That was a very informative topic, thankyou to everyone who posted (even though I didn't start the thread) and I'm off to make some changes to my header! Very Happy
cavalkaf
The best way I seen so far is to make sure you have your link in as many forum (your sig is a good starting place), del.icio.us, and stuff like blog comments/articles with good pagerank..... thats how I got my Pagerank!
KALINKA
i want to take free account from frihost .....iwrote 5 message ...and my english is not good...please help me....
KALINKA
hey my friends i am a web designer and i know everything about photoshop cs i can answer your questions about phoyoshop?hımm
pacslim
Kalinka, welcome but plz read the rules and faq and terms of service from frihost, then u would have also seen posting 2 messages after eachother (is double post(ing)) and thats not allowed next time edit yor last message and add ur second post in the first ! Hope ur not banned allready kalinka just sum advice from pacslim ... ps : posting in the right thread should also help ur question getting answered ...
greetings an 1 luv from pacslim webmaster of makaveliliveson.com a Tupac fansite/community and happy frihost user/member ... Wink
tonren
use google ,it seems work well!
pacslim
Good replies and advice/suggestions i making sum mo changes to my site too keep em coming i will post sum more 2 when ya'll did

well here a lil one when u got a phpnuke site use googletap from nextgen as a module pz Wink Arrow
GB
Earlier on in the thread, people were saying not to pay someone to do your SEO for you. I highly agree! I was researching paying someone to rank our corporate website because it doesn't even come up when you type in our name!
However, they wanted to charge us $2400 for a "setup fee" and then something like $100 or more per month to keep it in the rankings. Their customer service was really their sales department.

We optimized our website, but we still don't have many links pointing to us. That is where it is very difficult to figure out.

A good article on this is from A List Apart (www.alistapart.com) and is called High Accessibility is Effective Search Engine Optimization
zjosie729
There are lots of ways.

Make sure your site has an relevant title
    Make sure it has relevant keywords
    Make sure it has a good description
    Include your keywords in your content at least three times
    Have more site link to you

When you find sites that have contents similar to yours, ask the owner if they mind to have you link to them, and mention that it would be nice if they link to you.

Try to keep the keywords and the description all under 1000 characters.

I hope this helps.
onyx
1. meta tags
2. alt tags
3. right text on page

this is what got me to top #3 on all major SE. I really didn't have any links to my site when it got indexed on Google.
Soltair
I read a lot of "Search for *insert name here* on Google-> I'm top!!!"

Of course. If you search for ressourcesdetd on Google, you have quite good chances of getting my old website... but frankly, who will search for such a name?

As an example, if you have a website about D&D, you should try to appear high for D&D, Dungeon and Dragons, Dungeon & Dragons and AD&D keywords results. Not "ressourcesdetd"... as nobody searches for that, except the ones who know you.