FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AMD vs. INTEL

papercut
The Title explains all!

i am an AMD man!
Animal
http://frihost.com/forums/vt-21699.html

Pretty much the same discussion's here.
onur
for game and overclock ==> AMD

for programming or others ==> INTEL

and best dual core ==>INTEL
Naif
Both Intel and AMD produce good processors. Thats the best answer you can get. At times Intel comes up with a better processor and at other times, its AMD.
aardvarks
I think amds are better because they run so much cooler. Also amd have gone 64 bit and pentium havent so intel is lagging behind a bit.
djclue917
There are a lot of politics going around Intel right now. They want to sort of separate their chips from AMD. Intel strives for very high clock rates... Of course, they give-up some other important aspects of a good CPU in order to achieve a very high clockrate (although I really couldn't remember which are which Very Happy).

Intel Pentium 4 CPUs 3.0 GHz and up are no match for AMDs which are not even on the 3 GHz mark. Many benchmarks have already proven this.... However, I'm really an Intel fan so I'll just wait for the really awesome CPUs that Intel has got to offer in the near future.
Kd527
You know, they both have their pros and cons I guess. My PCs both have AMD CPUs, but Intel looks like their getting better. They run a lot cooler for one thing. AMDs though still are pretty darn powerful.
Goatmonkey
AMD = Best Desktop Processor
Intel = Best Portable Processcor

Intel also can produce more which is why Apple went with them instead of AMD.

I really like AMD and think that if they come out with a decent portable CPU, then they would rock the market. especially since they run cooler and more efficiently.
Dino
I am AMD fan Smile, i vote for AMD
KHO
Goatmonkey wrote:

I really like AMD and think that if they come out with a decent portable CPU, then they would rock the market. especially since they run cooler and more efficiently.
Even though l know that they do drain more battery life, l vote for AMD Neutral. They run faster, smoother, very quite, and cool. For laptops especially, l would have AMD chips Neutral, after all, when most people are on a laptop now, they are near to a power supply, so they can plug it in, and bam, the only con l have found in them is gone Neutral. l don't really do much gaming, and what l do do hardly requires a powerful processor Neutral so l can't speak on that end, but having as much crap open at once as l do makes your computer go really slow Neutral. AMD is a little faster in my experience, so if you are going to get an upgrade, go with AMD Neutral.
krazycapital
AMD. I find it way faster and quieter.
chakycool
I'm a a AMD fan and I have never gone 4 Intel. Cool
AMD is cheaper and does very much more when compare to Intel.
someone1007
i got intel pentium 4 3.0ghz
cepher
I like AMD. Its a Texas Comany. I live in Texas.

but right now it does lead dual core market and the gpu-intensive processing (gaming) market...

They have always been cheaper (until now)...Im pretty loyal to them

Intel leads the marketing market.
But i love em because they made friends with steve jobs! Hooray for all.
bogden
onur says Intel is best for dual core.
really? didn't AMD come out with dual core like 1 yr before Intel?
and the same deal w/ 64bit?
i've heard that W. Gates owns a large amount of shares in AMD, but none in Intel. prolly a sign that AMD has brighter future then Intel.
Dorsk82
It has already been stated by most in this forum but AMD is more or less better on all accounts than Intel.

In gaming they're fastest chip is faster and they're average chips give you a lot more bang for the buck.

In normal everyday use they may not perform quite at the level of a similarly powerful pentium but once again they are soo much cheaper you can buy a cheap AMD of a faster calibur for the same price. Moreover, no one really needs much in the way of speed for everyday processing unless you are doing large quantities of programming, 3D graphic work or video editing.

Finally the 64 bit cheaps which they have been producing far longer and have higher effective clock speeds than most Intel cheaps should provide better processing power than the current batch of Intel cheaps even for everyday procedures under the upcoming 64bit edition of Windows.

All around AMD is the king of price, speed and value!! Now the question remains why more people don't use them!?
kansloos
Personally I prefer AMD, cooler, cheaper, energy consumptiom enz.

But for the stats you should go to www.tomshardware.com
they have compared a lot of cpu's.

the direct link is: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/

And by the way Intel has lost it's 1st place on the Video encoding chart!
TheFaction
yeah onur....i dk where u came up with intel having the best dual core. cuz everywhere i've seen the amd x2 beats out the intel's counterparts. especially in the cnet article putting the two against one another. in all accounts amd's kicked the crap out of intel in all accounts.
fayettemat
Goatmonkey wrote:

true, but it is not the only reasons your forgetting that intel is cheaper than IBM and they have a better road map and my only grip about the Core Duo is that its not 64bit Sad
fayettemat
Goatmonkey wrote:

true, but it is not the only reasons your forgetting that intel is cheaper than IBM and they have a better road map and my only gripe about the Core Duo is that its not 64bit Sad
magnusmoty
I voted for AMD, but intel have most powerful pocessor-xeon
sgwreviews
AMD and Intel, hmm, the eternal question,
I think it doesn't matter to much what you choose, they are almost the same. When I see benchmark test, it's always like AMD is 5 % faster, the other time its like Intel is 5% faster. I'm getting tired of these comparisons. I have intel 4 3.2 ghz (dual core) and I like it, it works just perfect for me.
myspacelogin
I like AMD, i read that a 2.4 ghz amd was as fast as a 3.0 ghz intel.
sgwreviews
That's because intel and AMD are built up differently I think.
magnusmoty
sgwreviews wrote:

That's because AMD is 64 bit.....
sgwreviews
magnusmoty wrote:
sgwreviews wrote:

The real performance of the 64 bit processor is only noticable when you are using a 64 bit Operating System, for now there is only 1. A windows XP 64 bit version, (not all XP is 64 bit)
Once that the new OS of microsoft will be available (I think it was longhorn) intel will come out with a 64 bit processor too.
win66
For game I think AMD is better.But for multimedia i think Intel is better.
Panthrowzay
Well now it doesnt matter Microsoft is going into 64 bit whitch only amd has, and Intel is no longer under Microsoft control and is helping the macs, so Microsoft is geting the wanted power and macs their Belover portablity. This is just a company turn don't worry about it. All the next gen computers will just be more tuned for the exact needs of the user. This is a Win Win situation so celibraty Party on my site http://xit.frih.net
magnusmoty
sgwreviews wrote:
magnusmoty wrote:
sgwreviews wrote:

The real performance of the 64 bit processor is only noticable when you are using a 64 bit Operating System, for now there is only 1. A windows XP 64 bit version, (not all XP is 64 bit)
Once that the new OS of microsoft will be available (I think it was longhorn) intel will come out with a 64 bit processor too.

intel HAVE 64 bit processprs.
sgwreviews
ok
nOScott
I got an amd athlon 3500+ 64 bit for xmas and i like it . works good
webbone
I'm a amd man,But in my office I'm a intel man,But I'm very like to use amd..... Laughing Laughing

In this new year,I get a calendar from amd,I like it!
tanapat
I Like Intel AMD is so hot but if you play game only you can use AMD...
Wd_removed
Intel. Its just what I'm used to. Fast, not particularly noisy and never failed me yet.
enigmamkp
Quote:
for game and overclock ==> AMD

for programming or others ==> INTEL

and best dual core ==>INTEL

Tahts a good classification.AMD is best arcitecture microprocessor but never successed.
SunburnedCactus
The Centrino is pretty good too. It means I can have a lightweight, power-efficient laptop without sacrificing speed. It's a good kilogram lighter than the AMD equipped equivalent!
popnbrown
I think personally that AMD is much better than Intel only for Gaming computers. This is because the FSB is much faster on AMD chips than Intel. However Intel chips have raw power. AMD is also very good when put together with Nvidia SLI chips. The SLI chips provide upto 2 graphics cards which the AMD processor can handle. The newest AMD chip (I forgot the model) is the best yet for personal computers. There is however, better chips(the ones used in "the fastest computer in the world"). If you just want a regular office or home PC then get Intel. dats ma advice
kansloos
that's not exactly true Intell lost its 1st place everywhere except for the synthetic benchmark, but the synthetic benchmark doesn't say ****

I posted the link to the page a page before for the ones who didn't see that one as they're to lazy read all the replies here it is again...

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
And it's interactive, so you can compare stuff well
AaronMoore
I've built 2 AMD 3200+ machines in the last month, and I have to say they are going very well.

AMD is slightly more expensive than Intel for the same CPU speed, but I have read a lot of articles describing their etter performance. They often compare a slower AMD chip with a faster Intel giving similar performance.

My new machines only run at 2GHz, but they play CS:S, BF2 and the latest splinter cell very well. At 1024x768 at the highest quality.

I guess the video card is more important for recent games, so I did pay a little more for a PCI-Ex, but it still only a GeForce 6600 256Mb, hardly the best aound...

As for stability, I always used to think that Intel was better (cooler temp, and overclock restrictions=more safety margins), but I have found that my AMDs are very stable...This machine has been running over 48hrs straight! Playing online games, downloading with Peer-to-peer. it's great!
AgenthHero
AMD is the way of the future, Intel cant beat it. Well, actually they are different in some ways, but still AMD kicks intel's butt.

If your planning on buying a processor, go with AMD, because they will bring you nothing but success and speed.
yjwong
Well, Intel has come out with a much more powerful processor... The Intel Conroe processor...

It pwns AMD 64 FX-60 completely... In all the games tested such as Unreal Tournament 2004, Half-Life 2 and other CPU intensive softwares.

AMD users don't worry, there's still AMD AM2 processor. They are just comparing future Intel processor to current AMD processor.

Here's the full details of the comparison:
http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2713
Helios
Animal wrote:

TY Animal, but you forgot to lock this thread Razz
Animal
Helios wrote:
Animal wrote:

TY Animal, but you forgot to lock this thread Razz

Yeah... Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:11 pm. That was before I could lock the thread Wink