FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Network Path Not Found

kezialounel
hi!

i've got an error in my network. on PC1, it says i've got no permission to access resource as the network path is not found.

i got 8 PCs in the same workgroup. i checked everything from IPs, sharing, firewalls, NETBIOS, etc.

PC1 is not accessible from all the other computers. it can ping the other PCs, but it can't be pinged by the others. it can't be accessed by the other PCs in the network, and when i check the other PCs from PC1, i can't even see the other computers coz that error pops up.

please help me!
longjack
kezialounel wrote:
it can ping the other PCs, but it can't be pinged by the others

That really sounds like a firewall issue.

Double check the Windows firewall settings, if it's Windows.

Sometimes running (or re-running) the Network Setup wizard resets the firewall.

Also, a few things to check, although these are more authentication related and I don't think would really affect the ping problem:

..does the new PC have at least one shared folder?
..In control panel ->network settings, is file and printer sharing on?
..If it's in a peer to peer workgroup with XP you may need a common username/password on the machines.
..Is the network all Windows, i.e, do you have any Samba servers ?

longjack
knux
is it in the uplink part of the switch maybe? some time that happens and then you cant upload stuff from that computer or access becomes strict on that computer. cant think of anything other than that or maybe the firewall. maybe just run the network again on that computer sometimes it the small things we dont even think about.
kezialounel
there's no firewall, the printer/file sharing is on, there are shared drives and folders, there are no passwords, they are all running on XP, and they're all connected to a router.

all PCs have internet, but it's only PC1 that can't access the network (can't see the PCs in the network) and can't be accessed nor pinged by the others.

i've already re-run the Network Wizard several times, but it's still the same.

i had a problem similar to this weeks ago, but that PC can see the others and share their resources and just wouldn't allow others access even if the drives/folders are already shared. it was resolved by a manual edit in the registry. maybe this one could also be resolved with a similar edit, although i can't remember where it is and what to change.
quartz
You may try:
check network cable
check network card (try on another pc, or replace)
remove and reinstall network card drivers
kezialounel
i already tried that, but i don't think that it's the problem, coz i still have an internet connection on this PC1. if it's the Network cable or card, i won't have an internet connection at all
longjack
Did for some reason the Computer Browse Service get turned to manual or disabled ?

Are these XP Home or XP pro?

Are there any Samba machines ?

Do you use a hosts or lmhosts file?

If you try this freeware network scanner:

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/manual/

both from PC1 and from anoher computer on the lan, what happens?

(You don't have to install the Softperfect NetScannner, just download it and run it.)

longjack
kezialounel
longjack wrote:
Did for some reason the Computer Browse Service get turned to manual or disabled ?

where do i check this?

longjack wrote:
Are these XP Home or XP pro?

XP Pro

longjack wrote:
Are there any Samba machines ?

i don't know what Samba machines are, so i guess i don't have them

longjack wrote:

i don't understand this

longjack wrote:
If you try this freeware network scanner:

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/manual/

both from PC1 and from anoher computer on the lan, what happens?

(You don't have to install the Softperfect NetScannner, just download it and run it.)

longjack

after running it, what exactly do i look for? i've run it on all PCs, and they all look the same.
longjack
Quote:

where do i check this?

Right Click My Computer -> Click Manage -> Click Services and Applications -> click Services.

Scroll down to Computer Browser and right click on it, then click properties. It should say Started and be set to automatic as a startup type.

I can't imagine it isn't started, but I'm trying to check everything.

You might as well check other network related services while your looking around in there.

longjack wrote:

i don't understand this

A hosts file is a list of IP addresses and computer names saved as a text file in the /windows/system32/drivers/etc folder.

as an example:

192.168.1.10 PC1
192.168.1.11 PC2

,etc.

Substitute your LAN address and machine names for my examples. This helps Network Browsing because and you can use the machine name (for example, //PC1) in a windows explorer window, or in the run box to connect. On a peer to peer it may be helpful. lmhosts is similar, For your purposes now, you could copy hosts and paste it into lmhosts, they're both in /windows/system32/drivers/etc.

Quote:

after running it, what exactly do i look for? i've run it on all PCs, and they all look the same.

Netscan sometimes sees networked computers easier than network neighborhood.

If you use a hosts file it will tell you the computer names as they show up on the scan. Netscan gives you access to all the shared folders, too.

Sometimes network neighborhood gets screwed up when a new master browser is elected, so I use netscan to see the shares.

Try getting a copy of browmon.exe and check out which computer is the master browser. I found a link here.

http://forums.techguy.org:80/networking/323839-networking-drama.html?t=323839

Go to the page and do a find in page search for browmon.exe. The download link is in the 4th post down.

Like netscan, there's no installer. Run it, tell it your domain name and let it find out which machine is directing your network. Run it on PC1, too.

You should see all your computers in netscan when you run it from a machine that functions properly. If you can see the other computers when you run netscan on PC1, but not in network neighborhood, then the problem is a windows network component.

Can you see PC1 from other machines when you run netscan on them?

Quote:
XP Pro

If all machines are XP Pro. Check on the new machine to see if simple file sharing is on or off. Look in Control Panel ->Folder Option -> View and scroll all the way to the bottom to see if simple file sharing is on or off. Is it the same on the other machines?

Let me know. I'd like to find out what it is.

longjack
kezialounel
longjack wrote:

Right Click My Computer -> Click Manage -> Click Services and Applications -> click Services.

Scroll down to Computer Browser and right click on it, then click properties. It should say Started and be set to automatic as a startup type.

I can't imagine it isn't started, but I'm trying to check everything.

You might as well check other network related services while your looking around in there.

it's automatic and started. i checked the other services starting with Network, and i also started them and set them to automatic.

longjack wrote:
Do you use a hosts or lmhosts file

ok, i think i understand now. i don't have either.

Quote:

Can you see PC1 from other machines when you run netscan on them?

yes, i can see PC1 from the other machines. they can now ping each other.

also, the file and printer sharing in ON in all computers

[/quote]
kezialounel
yehey!!!

Very Happy

that's it! some of the network services were disabled. that resolved the problem! the PCs can now see each other and use each other's resources

i don't know how it turned out to be disabled, coz i didn't do it. could a virus have done that?

thanks a lot longjack! you're an angel :-*
longjack
kezialounel wrote:
could a virus have done that?

I really don't think so. Maybe a setting in some software that was installed, or some Windows setting that was checked off inadvertantly in passing.

kezialounel wrote:
thanks a lot longjack! you're an angel :-*

You're welcome. I'm happy I was able to help.

longjack
kezialounel
darn! i'm having the same problems again.

i can ping from each computer, but i can't see the other computers from my PC1, and the other computers can't access my PC1.

this time the things i did on the Computer Management didn't work. i still can't see the other PCs on the network from my PC1
longjack
In a post above I mentioned the utility called browmon.exe.

Download that to a couple of machines, including PC1. By running it, you'll be able to have an idea which machine is the network's master browser.

The master browser will change when the machine that was the master browser goes off line.

You want to see if the PC1 problems are popping up when one machine is a master browser, but not others.

Another question. If, on another machine, you click START -> Run, and type \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx into the input box, where the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the actual ip address of PC1, do the PC1 shares load into windows explorer, or do you get an error? Please make sure the leading slashes are like the ones I typed above.

longjack