FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

psp how good?

silvergaze
well i m wondering how good is this thing calle dthe psp. i have heard it like long ago but recently i heard it is real cool and wanting to keep up wif times i want to noe how good is this psp...
clogfan
What do you mean by "psp" ?

PSP = Play Station Portable ?
PSP = Paint Shop Pro ?

We can only help if you are specific enough. Thanks...
silvergaze
oh srry i was referring to playstation portable...yea thx for reminding me
exeption
Damn. In fact I thought the same when I noticed the caption... I really thought it was Paint Shop Pro.
Pikokola
I don't think it's cool, I think having an Emulator (although it's illegal if you didn't have the PS itself) is better Smile

In other hand, I think it's usefull only if you had traveling, of course for kill some time, but the problem is the battery T__T
silvergaze
illegal bad support real stuff. anyway if any1 do have good suggestions on psp pls tell mi
(3rownVito
Actually I heard someone ran Windows 98 on it ! Not sure.. but yeah its tottaly cool... lol the Wi-Fi is nice... imagine your in DownTown you'll find great signals for sure..
leodv
It's cool to have 1, nice screen, sleek design and best of all, a fun filled portable gaming experience, but the battery life is not very long and the life span of psp might not be long, as nintendo ds might take over the portable gaming market more than psp. But the lots of great games are coming for psp this year, so take a gamble and get psp...
Goatmonkey
Do not know what you cannot do with a PSP. Movies, games , music portable storage. There does not seem to be an end to what it can do. I have seen and used a few and they are pretty cool but they don't seem to be avery intuitive interface.
silvergaze
wad exactly are e features i mean like other than playin games and watching movies wad else can it do?
Slick
its all depends on the firmware the psp has!

firmware is basically the psp's os like a pc's win98 or win xp etc...

my psp is 1.5 this is the last firmware version that allows emulated games, and homebrew software...

homebrew software is software created by individuals not sony... like i have a shoutcast radio on mine... so i can listen to shoutcast radios using my wireless connection to my router!

i have literally every game released all playable from my memory card!
i have shed loads of movies..
u have a photos folder for jpg's etc
it can play mp's and i believe wav's
on some games u can game share so u can have 2 psp's playin the same game using only one umd (umd bein the media it takes there almost like mini disc's)

because the 1.0 and 1.5 firmwares can utilise homebrew programs the possibilities are endless

there are pros and cons to the updates... like 1.0 and 1.5 dont have a web browser... but then i have wipeout on my memory stick, within that game there is a form of web browser that can be used to surf the net!

so technically i have a web browser! lol

2.0 firmware can be downgraded to play emulated games n homebrew software but 2.01, 2.5 and 2.6 are yet to be hacked!
silvergaze
eh the mp izzit onli play wmv or does it support others like mp3? den the umd disc i heard is onli for movies den umd disc izzit also for games?
Animal
silvergaze wrote:
eh the mp izzit onli play wmv or does it support others like mp3? den the umd disc i heard is onli for movies den umd disc izzit also for games?

You can load videos (mp4) and music (mp3, aac) onto the memory stick - if you want to convert your DVDs, you'll need at least a 512Mb card - 1Gig prefrable.

The UMD slot is used by both purchased PSP movies and Games.
Kydha
i just bought one .. and i have to say, even if i really don't like to play on other supports than my old friend : my pc, it's awsome...

Everywhere i go... i can play or watch films or listen to my mp3 (usefull when my mp3 player is out of battery)

and multiplayer gaming in wifi is a kik in the @$$... i really like that... beat my boyfriend in games so he'll have to do whate ever i want (i love to bet on games!)

well... as you already think...i like it !! Smile

c ya and take care of each others!!
KHO
Meh, thats how l describe psp's Neutral. They are alright, but the lack of a game variety makes them a little dull, and the internet browser is nice, but without a good memory card, it always maxs out and you end up very frustrated Neutral. lf you have looked at some of the games for it, and like them enough to buy a console for them, then by all means don't let me ruin it for you, however, to get one with expectations of having an mp3 player, a portable dvd player, a great handheld, or anything else is getting your hopes kinda high Neutral. The memory stick it comes with doesn't have enough memory to do much, a couple songs will max it out easily Neutral.

But if you were to buy a hard drive for it, then no problem, it is great! Then your browser doesn't max out, you can save songs to it, watch movies on the go, download games and put them on it so you don't need a UMD Neutral. This is where it really shines Neutral
KHO
Pikokola wrote:
I don't think it's cool, I think having an Emulator (although it's illegal if you didn't have the PS itself) is better Smile

In other hand, I think it's usefull only if you had traveling, of course for kill some time, but the problem is the battery T__T
Actually, the battery is one thing l liked about it Neutral. lt has a nice one on it, and you can go buy another and end up with about 7-10 hours depending on what you are doing Neutral, that is alot of battery concidering they are only another $20 US and are the size of a PS2 Memory card Neutral.
silvergaze
hmmmz i c however the games come in wad? like gameboy caterage?(mind my spelling) or in a disc?
danielteeny
my friend has one, w/ hundreds of original nintendo and sega games on it.
the emulators arn't that big, and the games are supper small... so he had hundreds on it.
its pretty much the greatest thing ever.
silvergaze
but i mean hw does the games come in?
Stangg
I don't see the point tbh. Whats the point in having a portable games machine anyway? For when I'm out of the house? Chances are, when I'm leaving the house, I plan on going somewhere, and I expect I won't have much chance for game playing once I get there. The only reason I would get it is for mobile music, and its way too big to act just as an mp3 player.
My 20gb Sony Walkman arrived last week though, so thats me all set Cool
silvergaze
yea but if u were going overseas, u could bring it along so tt u wont be too bored
SoftStag
(3rownVito wrote:
Actually I heard someone ran Windows 98 on it ! Not sure.. but yeah its tottaly cool... lol the Wi-Fi is nice... imagine your in DownTown you'll find great signals for sure..

I don't think that this is possible, although someone may prove me wrong. I know you can connect them to your PC; and there are no drivers supplied by Sony for Windows 98. There are however drivers available on the internet; there are some on my site that should work just fine:
Win 98 USB Mass Storage Device Drivers
silvergaze
well i really do want to buy it but my parents have no been allowing me too sayin things like its screen is too small will spolit the eyes and the nintendo ds is alrdy gd enuff and all those. so i must like get enuff gd stuff bout it to tell dem
djfreakske
sony psp rules. my friend has this one to. the graphics of the psp are very good, and the screen being to small, totally not true Cool screen is allso very bright. it has good functionality like wireless internet, you can even look movies on this one. psp is much better than the nintendo ds.
silvergaze
that i do know too that psp is way much better den a nintendo ds however, the screen is still small. that is a fact which definetly cannot be changed. its like my mother prefers me to buy some playstation 2 or xbox den a psp as my eyes would get spoiled. yea so i doubt i would be able to buy it unless i dunnoe wad lor.
Dino
PSP rules, i have it, best thing I bought last half year, incredible graphic, small memory card ( capacity Smile, 32mb ) Sad, newest firmware with lot of new things, i got a gift from sony - Spiderman 2 original movie, but i`d like more that they give me a memory card of 1gb Smile ... perfect portable console
silvergaze
okay thanks guys for all your wonderful comments and i have managed finally to persuade my parents to allow me to buy it with by own money. i would like to thank everyone here who have contributed the points which has made my parents change my mind. more on the fact that my father likes the device which is able to also let him store his pictures and music
photon
the best portable gaming device right now in the market!! clarity is damn good, you can watch mp4 movies, battery life is pretty decent too. the only disadvantage accoording to me is that the udm discs are pretty costly. other thatn that, its the best hand held console you can get ..
silvergaze
by the way do anyone know where i could get a tutorial of where i could learn how to uplaod the games onto the console. just do so light reading you know because i havent got the console yet so do a little reading up on it?
Xeniczone
currently there are meny hacks for the psp you can run windows 95 windows 98(very crapy) linux and mac on them. I wouldn't recoomend it thought.

psp is a very nice device for the size it has graphics that compare to the ps2. This is more like a computer in your hands seen you can play mp3 mp4 get ur own movies for it etc...
phinguyen
i agree, this is currently my bestfriend. the homebrew capabilities are outstanding and i donn thinq i could live without this magnificant piece of machinery. i mean i now have every single SNES game in the palm of my hands, every GENISIS, GBA, NeoGeo, and just great homebrew games in the palm of my hands. i'm never again bored out of my mind when shopping with my girlfriend or stuck sittin in the car doing nothing when waiting for her to get out of work or something. the games are gettin better and better and the homebrew scene is freakin fantastic. there are no limits to this thing, i mean i can use it to as a remote to all my electronics and even remotely acess my computers with it. i'm not anti-DS but i'd have to say that PSP is far too great to compare.