FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

master or visa?

seanooi
I was thinking of applying for a credit card from citibank, but can't decide over master or visa. Anyone has any idea what are the difference? Or is there any other better banks to apply from? Is so, please let me know, suggestions will be most welcome Very Happy
UMBlueMusic
I've had both at two separate banks; I really don't see a difference in them. Although I think that Mastercard has better commercials. Smile I've had two mastercards and one visa, and I've never had a problem with them being accepted anywhere; anyplace that takes credit or debit takes the two. I just don't recommend Discover cards; a lot of places don't take them (like the bakery I used to work at).
ocalhoun
Mastercard and visa are both basicly the same.
The real difference is between MC/Visa, Discover, and American Express.
Cash is best. Every store must accept it by federal law.

Also, on the same note, pay your taxes in pennies. Thay're US currency, and the IRS is legally required to accept it as payment. This means more work for them. Smile
sibbahz
Different banks offer different types of cards, both visa and mastercard are very common and accepted in most places. Just look for the lowest intrest, or get a card from your current bank.
Dragonfly
Both the Cards are the first two Cards mostly or widely accepted anywhere on earth. For end users it doesn't make much difference. Just choose which name sound better to you. Visa doesn't sound good to me.. Smile Why not mastercard just for the name?
falconfx
Both cards are accepted by nearly every shop, but I'd go for the Mastercard: it sounds better Wink
history
No any big differences between them in fact.
So just choose the one you like
omeration
I use visa, it just sounds cooler, lol
speedlikecy
i am using visa card
chennai
i use both visa and master
a.han
get a mastercard and then yiu can buy world cup tickets.
adwya
master is safer
kam311
I personally have mastercard, and a visa check card. Citi has a good deal for mastercard that someone such as myself with little credit history was able to apply for and get accepted. Citi platinum rewards or some craziness like that. Anyway, they're not bad if you're going to pay off your balance on a regular basis. (Same with any card company i suppose).
midimine
I own a Mastercard, use it for paypall acount and on holidays. My wife has a Visa on my name. No complains form her Wink
710ths
Master or Visa no real difference. However watch out for the card provider ie the bank.. Citibank I have found seem less aggresive if you get into bother or miss payments. Others such as MBNA or Capital One just rip you off at the slightest, such as a day late in receipt of payment.

Thats where these guys make their real money.
driftingfe3s
I've never been to a place that just takes one of the two. So I don't think it really matters. Maybe you should ask someone at the bank if having one over the other will have any benifits.
soulman
I'm carrying visa card, but I dont think there are some important differences between them.
onur
VISA
greekcovers
I use both of them for the same bank, but i think VISA is coolest ! Very Happy
silvermesh
American Express is my credit card of choice, my debit card has a visa logo so I can use it as though it were visa, but it's not REALLY a credit card since it just takes the cash out of my checking account. personally the only thing i'd recommend against is capital one. they "lost" several of my payment checks(though they did CASH them), and i've been through bullshit with them since the very first day I had my card(they had to reprogram all of my info because whoever did it the first time ****** it up majorly). I got my American Express, and cancelled my Capital One.

really as far as visa vs. mastercard, really depends on whether you prefer to see little circles, or little bars on the little emblem in the corner. I prefer the bars Wink
Soulfire
Really, VISA is just funner to say. I've got both though, no real differences to me. I do like the Master Card commercials though.
umumkan
this is maybe out of topic, but I think still relevan, anybody know where good site with low fee to get a virtual mastercard or visacard ? thanks
alkady
@Everyone

Get Visa + Mastercard, Both the same thing, But the point is you dont need more than 1-2 Credit Card. If you only wish to choose one, Get Visa, Or whatever card is more preferred in your country. In Canada, Pratically all my friends and people I know are Visa Oriented.

ocalhoun wrote:

Also, on the same note, pay your taxes in pennies. Thay're US currency, and the IRS is legally required to accept it as payment. This means more work for them. Smile

Damm, I actually am planning to do that some day, My friend was actually at one point going to pay for a lost textbook at school in pennies because he had to pay $45 for a 20 Year Old book that he could have gotten for $5 at the pawn shop. Too bad he's not the type to attract problems.
manumiglani
VISA is preferred by me and many of my friends.
the-geek
adwya wrote:
master is safer

and how do u know it?
i never found problem with visa. its all the same.

for your life style..
Twisted Evil
kla_bor
I prefer Visa. In European Countries much more popular than Master Card.
kazikame
I use visa electron because it's the only thing available for people my age. It sucks.

As for normal Visa and Mastercard, I don't think there's a difference.
Mithrandir
I'd have to say VISA but only becuase thats the only thing I have ever had and I'm big on consumer loyalty. But I've never had any problems with it and it is accepted basically everywhere. I've never be not able to use it at a place that uses check/credit cards.
veikkaus
I have preferred visa. It is probebly the most common credit card here. I think the main difference was before that you could split the mastercard bill to several months, when the visa bill had to payed in one payment. Or you could use the credit part but i don't like that. Too much extra expenses and interests.
mustaq
visa is really power full and each and every atm accept i love visa it help me lot when i need when i use to get credit card first i use check do there provide visa
sonam
If you have plan to visit India then Visa is better! Very Happy
pjv
People tells that both cards are the same maybe in the context of interest and where can you use it but how about security? Is there an issue about this or both are really secured?
alkady
Well they atleast fulfill the minimum security required by the Government, But I like Visa for it's Zero Liability Policy. Which if you didnt buy, You dont pay.
kam311
I use both, but i've always found mastercard to be the most reliable. Visa is there in case they aren't accepted. only one time have i ever gone to a place where they didn't accept either....that was wierd.
photon
ive used only visa cards. dunno how master is different from it
sibbahz
Mastercard and visa are both so popular, both should be fine.
Id go for the one with the lowest interest.
If i had to decide, id go VISA as thats what im used to and they do good debit and credit cards that are valid almost everywhere (excluding electron)
squirrelmaster
VISA!!!
but the only reason i suggest that is because i got given a visa gift card, and i dont know if mastercard does gift cards, and if they do no one gave it to me so i dont like them (except their commericals)
poisonhzkj
i use visa ...i think i have made a good choice...haha
Tvis
In paying at the shops with the cards I see no difference. In Mexico I pay with American Express, Visa and Mastercard. However, in paying the actual money you owe to the cards, there is a difference. I cannot split up my mastercard payments. I can split up the visa payments. Mastercard comes at the first of the month directly following when I used the card. Visa gives me the check a month later. Amercan Express let me pay a lot of interest if I don't pay in time. So I prefer using my Visa. But I guess it depends per bank and per country...check it out before chosing. Wink
mying
i am a student. I din't have anycard ...
38club
onur wrote:
VISA
yap.. i think visa is better...
mustaq
sonam wrote:
If you have plan to visit India then Visa is better! Very Happy

not only india every where you can use the visa card really power fully can be used in any atm machine and any merchant shop beeter get visa emballed credit card good for you
Davidgr1200
If you are thinking of using it outside of USA then VISA is the one to choose. Mastercard is not accepted at anywhere near as many places as VISA over here. Whichever one you choose, don't overspend!
mustaq
i think major support for visa i think you decided now to get visa you can play it well with visa
windrei
actually what's the difference between Master and Visa. i only know it's two different companys... but what's the differences during paying and buying stuffs ??
mustaq
windrei wrote:
actually what's the difference between Master and Visa. i only know it's two different companys... but what's the differences during paying and buying stuffs ??

offcource visa have lots of out let whewre you can use visa emblled card so that visa able to give you lots of goodies , and lots of offer and speacial package and you dont have search visa accetable shop while shoping most of the shops accept the visa card
Zaini
For me, CASH is much better than both. Credit card can lead to overspending more than what we can afford. It's does not matter either it is a Mastercard or Visa. Both will lead to evil of modern world...convenience... it is so much easy to spend money that we don't even have.
mustaq
Zaini wrote:
For me, CASH is much better than both. Credit card can lead to overspending more than what we can afford. It's does not matter either it is a Mastercard or Visa. Both will lead to evil of modern world...convenience... it is so much easy to spend money that we don't even have.

whne i dont hve money credit card helped me lot i use to spean what i need , later i have pay the money to bank only after 52 days with out any interest so i dont find any problem i feel its very use full for me and i brought via credit card only
linexpert
If you live in US there is no real huge diffrence between the two. They are both widely accepted everywhere and are both about the same speed and security. MasterCard has better commertials. The main thing is that they don't issue you the cards. The banks is the one that issue them. You should mainly worry about deciding which bank you want to bank with and they'll either give you a mc or a visa. Very Happy
Cash is the best but it's also the most dangerous to carry large sums of cash. Smile