FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Why you should not be using Ubuntu!





root
Everyone on this forum keeps reccomending Ubuntu for a Linux distribution. Whether it be for those completely new to Linux or for the advanced users, there are other better distributions. Note: my intentions are not to hate on the Ubuntu users.

1. Ubuntu provides no root account. (big problem)

2. Sound is a hassle to set up on Ubuntu.

3. Sound is usually bad because the ALSA default set up is bad.

4. Documentation is buggy.

5. Small RPM selection when compared to other distros.

6. Ubuntu does not come with a fully functional Firefox. Usually you must use backdoor repositories to install a working Firefox, which in turn installs other unnecessary applications.

7. Everything is not as harmonious as one would expect after a complete installation. The distro is not "complete". It will take some apt-getting until you have a fully functional system.

8. Out-dated installation.

9. Default "brown" theme. The theme can be changed, but what were they thinking?

10. Everything is pre-compiled binary. New users will not be interested in compiling their distributions or software. This point is intended for the advanced Linux user who is wants to have granular control over their whole OS.

11. Does not come with firewall.

I suggest Suse or Mandriva if you are new to Linux, or using Debian or Gentoo if you are a more advanced user. With Suse and/or Mandriva you will be under a knowledgeable support base with many new and advanced users alike. With Gentoo or Debian, you are guarenteed a support base of advanced users who know what they are talking about.
sonofsneaker
I agree! I installed it on my iBook just to try it out. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle once I was using it. The Audio is hard to set up. And if you don't put in the correct WiFi information it is REALLY hard to make it work again. One thing I do like is the KDE desktop environment. That's it though.
Daniel15
Ubuntu is based on Debian (one of the best Linux distributions).

Quote:
1. Ubuntu provides no root account. (big problem)

Security-wise, that's excellent! It keeps people from running as root all the time. You can always use 'sudo' to run programs as root.
If you really want a root account, run 'sudo passwd' from a command shell. Type in your password, and then type the password you want to use for the root account.

Quote:
2. Sound is a hassle to set up on Ubuntu.

Well, it worked for me first time (on a generic no-name sound card)

Quote:
5. Small RPM selection when compared to other distros.

They're not RPM's, they're DEB (Debian) packages. If you don't think that the selection is big enough (there's already something like 4,000 packages), you can also use the Debian repositories (~12,000 packages). Note that my numbers might be wrong, I'm only estimating.
And if you can't get what you want as a package (very rare), you can always compile it yourself (I always though this was hard, but it's incredibly easy!)

Quote:
6. Ubuntu does not come with a fully functional Firefox. Usually you must use backdoor repositories to install a working Firefox, which in turn installs other unnecessary applications.

What do you mean? You need to disable IPv6 support in FireFox to use it properly. Anyway, I use Opera on Ubuntu.

Quote:
7. Everything is not as harmonious as one would expect after a complete installation. The distro is not "complete". It will take some apt-getting until you have a fully functional system.

What are you missing? You've got picture editing (gimp), an office suite (OpenOffice), a web browser (firefox) and heaps more. What else do you need?

Quote:
8. Out-dated installation.

That's what the automatic updates are for (Ubuntu has automatic updates). Anyway, it's not really that out-dated. Open-source software changes very quickly, so it's impossible for the installation package to always be up to date. However, the online repositories are usually pretty up to date.

Quote:
10. Everything is pre-compiled binary. New users will not be interested in compiling their distributions or software. This point is intended for the advanced Linux user who is wants to have granular control over their whole OS.

You can use apt-get (or aptitude or synaptic) to download the source packages (almost every package has a source package with the source code). This will download the source code, and put it in the correct place.

EDIT:
Quote:
One thing I do like is the KDE desktop environment.
It's GNOME, actually
sonofsneaker
Thanks for the correction. I would never want to use GNOME. It's an ugly UI. KDE is way better than GNOME
root
Daniel, you do not understand what other distros have to offer. And security-wise not having a root account is a terrible thing.
root
Also, Ubuntu has the worst driver detection I have ever seen out of a distro. Ever seen how many questions are asked abouit installing a modem?
pomp
Ubuntu is good for quick installation and use with minimum fuss. If KDE is the choice then an offshoot Kubuntu is there. If one runs an ADSL connection Ubuntu is easy to setup for Internet access which may not be with some other distros lacking PPP0E support. On the contrary Ubuntu has the fastest , most reliable and always up to date software repository. It has all the basic software which one needs to get online like firefox and do daily editing like open office. And for other stuff like media players, codecs , java, acrobat an all in one popular script is available through the forum which does all the installation job automatically.One does not need a myriad of softwares employing hours to download multitude of CD's just to start with linux.
Animal
root wrote:
1. Ubuntu provides no root account. (big problem)


There is actually a root account on Ubuntu, but it's default security setting is to disable the root login. All you need to do is access the administration menu, hit "Login Setup" then select the "Security" tab. Check the box marked "Allow root login on GTK" and you have yourself a fully functional root account.

root wrote:
6. Ubuntu does not come with a fully functional Firefox. Usually you must use backdoor repositories to install a working Firefox, which in turn installs other unnecessary applications.


You're pretty wrong here. Ubuntu 5.10 has Firefox 1.0.7 installed and I was able to start it up and surf straight away.

root wrote:
8. Out-dated installation.


I can see your point here. To me, the most notable out-dated application is Firefox - version 1.5 should be offered as an automatic update. However, as daniel15 has said - the automatic update does the job for you quickly and inobtrusively.

Obviously, you have an opinion about the software, and that's completely fine - if you don't like it, you can use a different distro. Linux has this advantage - if you don't like WinXP, you're stuffed as far as Microsoft is concerned! You've maybe exlored it fully, but maybe you haven't. It's highly recommended by me and several others, but you shouldn't really be saying on forums "you should not use Ubuntu" - make your point about what you don't like about it and let others decide for themselves.
gh0stface
Isn't unbuntu a relatively new distro too?
photon
yes, ubuntu is relatively new (only 2 years or so) but as its based on debian, its pretty good too. im posting this from ubuntu and i find no difficulty as root pointed out.

1. disabling root login for newbies is a pretty good idea. and it can be enabled quite easily

2. if you want kde as the default desktop, try kubuntu

3. i had no issues regarding sound setup, although the quality is not top notch

4. ubuntu 5.10 had firefox 1.07 installed by default. i started using it right away

5. device detection was pretty complete. i even had my adsl modem+router working after just entering the ip/subnet. easier than windows
corey
Wow, now I know where to keep warm! Woo! Flamebait city.

I can't disagree more with the recommendation against Ubuntu and for Mandriva or Suse. For the record, I've used both, as well as about 15 different live-cds and more than 20 installed distros (and DOS 2.x-6.2 and Windows 3.1-XP and Free/NetBSD, bla bla bla) and my distro of choice is Gentoo (~x86 on Reiser4).

No root account is not bad, since sudo is used. You can do anything you want without being root all the time.

What's wrong with binaries? Slackware is a binary distribution and it flies on even the oldest hardware.

RPM's? Puh-leeze! Ubuntu uses .debs, just like its parent, Debian.

Small amount of packages? The package manager can be administered from a GUI inteface easily and new repositories can be added to the list easily (for that matter, there are expanded repositories already in the /etc/apt/sources.lst, but they're commented out)

Brown? C'mon! That can be changed right away. But, one can always install Kubuntu, which is blue!

Want KDE? See last point. Kububtu!

Bad hardware detection? No worse than Knoppix (and my super generic box with consumer hardware still won't take a Suse install)

You are right about Mandriva being good for new users (at least until they try to upgrade anything). The default install from a release version is likely to install and work fine. I used it for nearly 2 years, but I got tired of upgrades breaking 1/2 my system. A newbie would be turned off Linux forever up against that.

You do have a point that there are many good distros out there, but I don't think that you have said anything to proove that Ubuntu is a bad choice. I will continue to recommend it (but more often Kubuntu, as I'm a KDE fan), SimplyMepis, and PCLinuxOS as first choices. To each his own.
Diebels
I installed Suse 10 a few week ago and must say, after the first little fu** ups i made now its running very smooth. Its fast the doc is huge and its a pleasure to play/work with it
djclue917
First of all, I'd say that your observations are quite stupid. No offense but you really don't understand Linux systems...

root wrote:

1. Ubuntu provides no root account. (big problem)


Hell no! Absolutely not true. Where did you ever see a Linux system that does not have a root account? How stupid. Ubuntu has a root account. However, it would not prompt you for a root password during setup. And oh, there is sudo. Changing the root password is no problem: sudo passwd root

Quote:

2. Sound is a hassle to set up on Ubuntu.


How could you say that?? Ubuntu's hardware detection and compatibility is very good. Maybe your sound card is really really old that not even Ubuntu could support it. You could try installing an older distro.

Quote:

3. Sound is usually bad because the ALSA default set up is bad.


How could you say that the ALSA default setup is bad? How could you say that it is good? Do you have any idea of what you are talking about? As far as I'm concerned, as long as sound works and it has a low-latency, then it's just OK.

Quote:

4. Documentation is buggy.


You keep telling things without even having proofs to support them.

Quote:

5. Small RPM selection when compared to other distros.


Damn! Didn't you know that Ubuntu is a Debian-derived distro?? Man, do your homework...

Quote:

6. Ubuntu does not come with a fully functional Firefox. Usually you must use backdoor repositories to install a working Firefox, which in turn installs other unnecessary applications.


Rubbish... As you know, Firefox is Ubuntu's default web browser. If you are referring to its not supporting flash, playing movies, java, then just install the required components.. very easy indeed. Man, go to the Ubuntu forums and read HOWTOs and FAQs.

Quote:

7. Everything is not as harmonious as one would expect after a complete installation. The distro is not "complete". It will take some apt-getting until you have a fully functional system.


Well, how you define a fully functional system?? As you can see, Ubuntu is described as a fully functional single-CD Linux distro. That means that you could basically do the typical desktop work once it is installed. That's why it has only 1 CD

Quote:

8. Out-dated installation.


Oh my God!!! Have you been under a rock or what? Man oh man... Read...
Ubuntu releases a newer version every 6 months... How's that for being out-dated? If you want newer applications (if made available), then use the backports.. it's that easy...

Quote:

9. Default "brown" theme. The theme can be changed, but what were they thinking?


You have no right to tell that to them. The thing is that you could change the theme. Go build your own distro.

Quote:

10. Everything is pre-compiled binary. New users will not be interested in compiling their distributions or software. This point is intended for the advanced Linux user who is wants to have granular control over their whole OS.


What are you saying??!!! Of course the CD contains pre-compiled binary because it's only 1 CD!!! You could download the devel files via apt-get or synaptic... And besides, a typical Linux user does not need source codes to be able to use Linux.

Quote:

11. Does not come with firewall.


I could agree with that... But hey, it's just apt-get install firestarter

Quote:

I suggest Suse or Mandriva if you are new to Linux, or using Debian or Gentoo if you are a more advanced user. With Suse and/or Mandriva you will be under a knowledgeable support base with many new and advanced users alike. With Gentoo or Debian, you are guarenteed a support base of advanced users who know what they are talking about.


Many of the Ubuntu developers are also Debian developers. Ubuntu boasts a very large community. It is a community-driven and commercially-supported Linux distribution. How's that??

Best of all, it is entirely FOSS (the default installation that is).
djclue917
root wrote:
Daniel, you do not understand what other distros have to offer. And security-wise not having a root account is a terrible thing.


Pardon me but I think that it is you who does not understand what Ubuntu has to offer (as well as other distros).

For Pete's sake, ALL Linux distributions must have a root account because, come to think of it, how could you maintain a system without a root account???

There is a root account! UID is 0!!! Check the user manager in Ubuntu. You'll take back those words...
djclue917
root wrote:
Also, Ubuntu has the worst driver detection I have ever seen out of a distro. Ever seen how many questions are asked abouit installing a modem?


Yeah right... If the modem that you are trying to install is a winmodem, then that's where the problem comes in.

Ok, do you know of a distro which supports winmodems out-of-the-box??? I'll answer it now, there is NONE! That is because winmodems require specific drivers which are often only available to Windows. However, there are great companies like Linuxant that offer Linux driver for Conexant-based modems.. How's that? Had enough with Ubuntu? I suggest that you test it for at least a week or so before saying anything... But in your case, I suggest that you test it at least a month...
djclue917
Animal wrote:

root wrote:
8. Out-dated installation.


I can see your point here. To me, the most notable out-dated application is Firefox - version 1.5 should be offered as an automatic update. However, as daniel15 has said - the automatic update does the job for you quickly and inobtrusively.


I'd like to say a few words about Firefox 1.5 in Ubuntu... Basically, you all know that Firefox 1.5 is a major release.. What does that mean? Firefox 1.5 differs greatly with Firefox 1.0.x...

The thing is that Firefox 1.5 depends on quite a lot of packages... Let me list them all...

Depends: fontconfig
Depends: psmisc
Depends: debianutils
Depends: libatk1.0-0
Depends: libc6
Depends: libcairo2
Depends: libfontconfig1
Depends: libfreetype6
Depends: libgcc1
Depends: libglib2.0-0
Depends: libgtk2.0-0
Depends: libidl0
Depends: libjpeg62
Depends: libkrb53
Depends: libpango1.0-0
Depends: libpng12-0
Depends: libstdc++6
Depends: libx11-6
Depends: libxcursor1
Depends: libxext6
Depends: libxfixes3
Depends: libxft2
Depends: libxi6
Depends: libxinerama1
Depends: libxrandr2
Depends: libxrender1
Depends: libxt6
Depends: zlib1g

Now, if the backports team of Ubuntu tries to backport Firefox 1.5, they would also need to backport all of the packages I just listed above... They would also do major testing to see if the backports would not break the entire system. This is because, as you can see, most of these packages are libraries. This means that Firefox is not the only package which depends on these packages. Please understand the work required to backport Firefox 1.5.. Anyways, Dapper is coming soon... I'm looking forward to it..
JayBee
Why have I find many debian pictures, logos ... on Ubuntu CD?

and how could i installl MC (midnight commander) as easy as possible?
something like yum, emerge ....
root
Anyone who uses Ubuntu obviously does not have experience with other distros. Ubuntu is also alot slower than other distros. I failed to mention that because I thought that this was well known...guess not.
djclue917
root wrote:
Anyone who uses Ubuntu obviously does not have experience with other distros. Ubuntu is also alot slower than other distros. I failed to mention that because I thought that this was well known...guess not.


I guess to still haven't read my posts and other materials out there. I suggest that you do that now because all you are doing is bashing Ubuntu without any basis. You keep on saying things like this and that yet you do not give a proof or example to justify your statements.

As far as I know, Ubuntu is a Linux distro. Linux distros are very similar aren't they? They all have Linux + other essential stuff + GUI (KDE, GNOME, etc.)

Which means that all of them have almost the same boot time and performance. Of course don't you ever compare Damn Small Linux to Ubuntu because Damn Small is really a very lightweight distro.
rlloyd
Well, I am with everyone else in here that is thumbs up with Ubuntu.

I concure with daniel15, djclue917, Animal, and photon on the remarks made agains Ubuntu, I have use both Ubuntu & Kubuntu. I use the Live CD's on all 4 of my pc's from time to time, 2 are which custom made desktop and the other are a brand new laptop and a 5 year old laptop. It works great on all.

As for the whole root issue it is true, its their, just not easily accesible.
root
djclue917 wrote:


As far as I know, Ubuntu is a Linux distro. Linux distros are very similar aren't they? They all have Linux + other essential stuff + GUI (KDE, GNOME, etc.)

Which means that all of them have almost the same boot time and performance. Of course don't you ever compare Damn Small Linux to Ubuntu because Damn Small is really a very lightweight distro.


Wow...thank god this isn't a Linux forum because you would have gotten your ass flamed. You have no idea what you are talking about.
corey
root wrote:
Anyone who uses Ubuntu obviously does not have experience with other distros. Ubuntu is also alot slower than other distros. I failed to mention that because I thought that this was well known...guess not.


I use it. I've been using computers since before you were a gleam in your dad's eye. My preferred distro is Gentoo, but I use Ubuntu (Kubuntu, actually, cos I like where KDE is going) on one computer. Its an excellent choice for someone who wants their computer to "just work".

I've used more Linux distros than twice your years. Did I mention that I use Ubuntu, too. I will refrain from calling you a little flamebait punk because I feel that you'll learn and someday become useful.

Why don't you spend less energy making false claims about something that you don't know anything about and focus it toward something useful, like learning how to code so you can make Linux better.

Or, oh, wait! Tell us about your distro of choice and why its awesome(in detail)! That way, the world will find out something useful from you. Contributing always lasts longer than bashing. Always.


...is this thread still open?
root
corey wrote:
root wrote:
Anyone who uses Ubuntu obviously does not have experience with other distros. Ubuntu is also alot slower than other distros. I failed to mention that because I thought that this was well known...guess not.


I use it. I've been using computers since before you were a gleam in your dad's eye. My preferred distro is Gentoo, but I use Ubuntu (Kubuntu, actually, cos I like where KDE is going) on one computer. Its an excellent choice for someone who wants their computer to "just work".

I've used more Linux distros than twice your years. Did I mention that I use Ubuntu, too. I will refrain from calling you a little flamebait punk because I feel that you'll learn and someday become useful.

Why don't you spend less energy making false claims about something that you don't know anything about and focus it toward something useful, like learning how to code so you can make Linux better.

Or, oh, wait! Tell us about your distro of choice and why its awesome(in detail)! That way, the world will find out something useful from you. Contributing always lasts longer than bashing. Always.


...is this thread still open?


So this is what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna read up on how to be a Buddhist right, and I'm gonna pray to Buddha to reincarnate me when I kill myself to be cool as ****** like you. Get a life.
djclue917
root wrote:
djclue917 wrote:


As far as I know, Ubuntu is a Linux distro. Linux distros are very similar aren't they? They all have Linux + other essential stuff + GUI (KDE, GNOME, etc.)

Which means that all of them have almost the same boot time and performance. Of course don't you ever compare Damn Small Linux to Ubuntu because Damn Small is really a very lightweight distro.


Wow...thank god this isn't a Linux forum because you would have gotten your *** flamed. You have no idea what you are talking about.


Yeah right. I think you are the one who just got your *** flamed. I do know what I am talking about. You are just bashing Ubuntu making false claims with no basis at all. Tell me, how much do Linux distros differ from one another??? Is their difference like the difference of Mac and Windows or Windows and Linux or Linux and Mac? They are all Linux distros aren't they?? They are not 100% identical but they couldn't be that different right?? So your telling that Ubuntu is the worst Linux ever? Well how about other distros?

USE YOU HEAD DUDE. I THINK YOUR MOUTH IS BLABBERING TOO MUCH TO THE POINT THAT YOUR NOT THINKING ANYMORE. YOU THINK YOU KNOW TOO WELL... WELL, THINK AGAIN.
paulrodga
I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ , i installed ubuntu (32 and 64 bits versions) and all crashed when I resize the windows. My video card is an ati radeon 9500 series , i had never got any problems like this with other linux ditributions. I think that the idea of the ubuntu is great to introduce in linux ambient, people that only works in windows, but i think that they had to make a little better the product.
Thanks. bYe!!!!!
djclue917
paulrodga wrote:
I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ , i installed ubuntu (32 and 64 bits versions) and all crashed when I resize the windows. My video card is an ati radeon 9500 series , i had never got any problems like this with other linux ditributions. I think that the idea of the ubuntu is great to introduce in linux ambient, people that only works in windows, but i think that they had to make a little better the product.
Thanks. bYe!!!!!


Why did you install the 32-bit version of Ubuntu in a 64-bit PC?? Never had that kind of problem before...
corey
root wrote:
So this is what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna read up on how to be a Buddhist right, and I'm gonna pray to Buddha to reincarnate me when I kill myself to be cool as **** like you. Get a life.
Still waiting for a contribution. C'mon, you can do it. We know that you can! You must have something nice or useful to say about something, don't you? Still interested in what your reccomendation is and why. You know you could actually help some people if you shared some good points about your fave. Don't forget to stay on topic (hint: its about Linux).
photon
Quote:
I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ , i installed ubuntu (32 and 64 bits versions) and all crashed when I resize the windows. My video card is an ati radeon 9500 series , i had never got any problems like this with other linux ditributions. I think that the idea of the ubuntu is great to introduce in linux ambient, people that only works in windows, but i think that they had to make a little better the product.
Thanks. bYe!!!!!


i have a 64bit pc too and the 32bit and 64bit versions of ubuntu are all working without a problem. and currently im running ubuntu 32bit and everything works fine
root
corey wrote:
root wrote:
So this is what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna read up on how to be a Buddhist right, and I'm gonna pray to Buddha to reincarnate me when I kill myself to be cool as **** like you. Get a life.
Still waiting for a contribution. C'mon, you can do it. We know that you can! You must have something nice or useful to say about something, don't you? Still interested in what your reccomendation is and why. You know you could actually help some people if you shared some good points about your fave. Don't forget to stay on topic (hint: its about Linux).


Thanks man for cheering me on! I'll explain to you why Gentoo owns your shitty OS when I get home (I'm at school atm). Oh and, how old are you? Don't you have a job or something that you have to attend to?
corey
root wrote:
Thanks man for cheering me on! I'll explain to you why Gentoo owns your shitty OS when I get home (I'm at school atm). Oh and, how old are you? Don't you have a job or something that you have to attend to?
I hope that your write up is as useful as your posts on other areas of this forum. They were helpful and well thought out. Great stuff. So, why are you being such a big baby in this thread? And, why are you going to prove that your Gentoo is better than my Gentoo? (I can assure you that it's likely not)
bogden
have you actually used it?
it is a beatiful distro by default (visually, and usability wise mostly).
all linux distros are less then perfect for many people.
Related topics
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.