FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fantasy, anyone?

zjosie729
Does anyone have good fantasy books they would suggest?
rip8fan1
Where to begin?

Xanth Series - Piers Anthony

Many, many others. I'll reply again, when I get home, and after some others have made their offers.
Itachi
I have many to request

The Chronicles of Narnia ( all 7 books ) - by C.S. Lewis

The Harry Potter Series ( its a little less fantasy but still good ) - By J.K. Rowling

The Dragons of s fallen star (I Think that is the name of it. it is the first in a trilogy.) - by (dont remember the name of the author.)

The Lord of The Rings Trilogy ( orginal not the one made after the movies ) - By J.R.R. Tolkein

Some books by LLoyd Alexander

I cant think of any more books at the moment if i can i'll post them.

~Itachi
Taele
Fantasy... ok. There is a lot of fantasy out there and a lot of it is good (of course a lot is bad too, but we try to ignore that). Fantasy, as a genre, still has a very large range of topics, some of which may appeal to you, while others may seem incredibly boring. In any case, here are some of my favorites:

-The Discworld Series, by Terry Pratchett (all of them, but especially Small Gods and Thief of Time and Nightwatch and oh... I don't why I bothered to say which I love especially.. they're all wonderful)

-The Golden Compass triology, by Philip Pullman

-A Song of Ice and Fire series, by George RR Martin (although I recently purchased all of them, I have not actually read these yet, but they have been highly reccomended to me by my cousin)

-The Pit Dragon Trilogy, by Jane Yolen

-The Dragon Riders of Pern series, by Anne Mccaffrey (I haven't read any of these in a while, but I remember enjoying them)

-Eragon by Christopher Paolini (and I would assume its sequel is good as well, although I haven't read that one yet)

There are many other wonderful titles out there and I have only touched the surface, but these are what came to my mind at the moment. Happy Reading. Smile
Itachi
wow i am going to really have to get to reading some of those books they sound really good.

~Itachi
aerialdreams
Dawn Cook, a new rising writer, wrote the Truth series, and in opinion they were really good. Of course, I love all the fantasy books published by LUNA, but they are mainly for girls to read because the main characters are all heroines, and they are really different from the conventional/classic fantasies that people are used to reading.
rip8fan1
There have been many fantastic offerings so far, but I'll add in at least one more at this time:

R.A. Salvatore is the author, and read any of his Drizzt series. There are many of his books I would recommend. Please check them out at:

http://www.rasalvatore.com/
benwhite
Don't forget the Earthsea books by Ursula K. Le Guin and Riftwar by Raymond Feist. They're shorter series than say Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and a good place to start.

Pullman's Golden Compass Trilogy is also a really well written and unique fantasy series.
ulruc
If you want to read some real good Fantasy based book and that you like mediaval story with a lot of magics and some big monsters, then the Forgotten Realms collection is the kind of book that you need.

With over 70 books already in store in french (since in english I don't know how much they got), you can really evade yurself in a new world for a long long time.

The two best authors that wrote book in this collection are R.A. Salvatore and Ed Greenwood.

Really good book that I want to read again and again.
Jeslyn
Artemis fowl - by eoin colfer is a terrific one
And the people of sparks and ember are great ones too... only I can't recall who wrote Ember and The People of Sparks (and it could be the CITY of Sparks, I haven't read the book in awhile so I'm not sure if it's people or city)
Lenne
I think Harry Potter series will suit...
xeroed
[quote="Taele"]-The Golden Compass triology, by Philip Pullman

-The Pit Dragon Trilogy, by Jane Yolen[quote]

I love both those series...

I also recomend the wayfarer redemption series (if your in america) or the Axis triligy and the wayfarer redemption trilogy if you are not

the sword of Truth Series

those are all I have off the top of my head
bladesage
Itachi wrote:
I have many to request

In my boxed set, there are eight of them.
bladesage
As far as Medieval (yes, it's spelled that way) fantasy books go, I VERY strongly reccommend:

The entire Enchanted Forest Chronicles collection by Patricia C. Wrede;
1) Dealing With Dragons
2) Searching For Dragons
3) Calling On Dragons
4) Talking To Dragons

(I may have 3 and 4 mixed up)

Dragon Bait (I forgot the Author)

As you can see, I love dragons (European Style, not Oriental).
xeroed
bladesage wrote:
Itachi wrote:
I have many to request

which one do you have a double of?

bladesage
xeroed wrote:
bladesage wrote:
Itachi wrote:
I have many to request

which one do you have a double of?

I don't, I guess I got ripped off (they're in HUGE text, it's actually missing the content of an entire book, now that I look at it), my bad Smile. I wasn't actually wrong, but it isn't the entire series, either. I can't believe I paid $34.95 for it.
ocalhoun
The beirgland saga by David Eddings was quite good. Not really the best ever, but still good.
xeroed
bladesage wrote:

I don't, I guess I got ripped off (they're in HUGE text, it's actually missing the content of an entire book, now that I look at it), my bad :). I wasn't actually wrong, but it isn't the entire series, either. I can't believe I paid $34.95 for it.

its ok it happens to us all... I had my box set for awhile before I realized that I had two of the Magicans Nephew and I had to hunt down the Silver Chair I think it was... my brother had stolen it to read and not given it back... >_>
jiten
zjosie729 wrote:
Does anyone have good fantasy books they would suggest?

Across a mysterious rift in the space-time continuum exists a world called Naruihm. In this world is a realm called Morevi, a landlocked kingdom ruled by Askana Moldarin, crowned "First Queen" following a swift and bloody rise to the Throne of a Thousand Suns. Yet hidden traitors are already at work to destroy everything that she has won. Enter Rafe Rafton, privateer captain of the Defiant. Arrogant. Overconfident. Dangerous and cunning enough to pillage the Queen’s own ships and survive. As a man, he is the embodiment of everything she has fought against, and the perfect instrument in a last desperate bid to save her kingdom. With the sum agreed upon, Rafe and Askana embark on an epic adventure spanning the kingdoms of Naruihm and King Henry VIII’s England. Two souls, drawn together in the battle for a kingdom.»
Nikkori
Hmmm.. a multiple suggestions..Laughing

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
Animorphs by K.A. Applegate
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Shike
I don't know if we can actually post links, but if you're looking at the Forgotten Realms then go to candlekeep.com and go to the forums. There you can actually talk with most of the realms authors (I believe that Salvatore is the only realms author that doesn't talka t Candlekeep but at his own website isntead).

The Dragons of a Follen Star (and others) are from the Dragonlance Setting and are most likely written by Margret Weis and Tracey Hickman.

I would lik to add to the list Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Even though it is slighly more cyber punk than fatasy, it contains a great number of fantasy elements.

Also the Demon Wars Series by Salvatore are great as well.

After that you have the Myth series by R.L. Apsrin and the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zellaney.
Varun
The Lord of The Rings Trilogy ( orginal not the one made after the movies ) - By J.R.R. Tolkein

was there a book made after the movie???? i have never heard of this...thankx for the news dude
Shike
Varun wrote:

was there a book made after the movie???? i have never heard of this...thankx for the news dude

No, They just repackaged the trilogy with cover art from the movies. They also repackaged the work into a single volume, which was Tolkein's original vision.
TheGreatDalmuti
For something as funny as Harry Potter (well, almost), as well-written as The Lord of the Rings (but less long-winded), and as long as the Wheel of Time (but interesting), try David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series. It's a long haul (ten books altogether), but worth the trip.

The series focuses on sorcery, which is more a gift to be able to focus one's Will to accomplish things, and while it takes place on another world, doesn't focus on fantasy creatures like pixies, which I always hate.

If you're interested, the Belgariad series begins with Pawn of Prophecy. Excellent read.
vlnjodie
I can't beleive nobody has suggested the Amber Chronicles by Rodger Zelanzny. They are great. I also like Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn Series. Have you read any of the suggestions?
Shike
vlnjodie wrote:
I can't beleive nobody has suggested the Amber Chronicles by Rodger Zelanzny.

Actually I did

Shike wrote:
After that you have the Myth series by R.L. Apsrin and the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zellaney.