FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

New Years Predictions for 2006

ewfdemon
Ok, it's a new year. 2005 had some harsh moments, and some good ones. I'd like to know what ya'll predict will happen in 2006. Good and bad. No BS posts, just your real feeling about the new years events. Maybe I'll keep track and see who has any come true.
a.Bird
I feel like a serious revolution could happen, socially, politically, and economically... and at the same time I feel nothing will happen at all and all the same bullshit from 2005 will resurface all over again.
eday2010
I predict a Conservative Minority government in Canada when we vote on January 23. I'm HOPING for a Conservative Majority government Very Happy
narc
I predict that

- The middle east will continue to not find peace.
- N. Korea will keep on making nukes
- GW will keep f'ing up foreign policy

and in the end, NONE of this will affect my life. In other words, I don't think anything is going to change.
iridios
I have two predictions for 2006.

First, Dick Clark (American Bandstand, New Years shows) will not live through the year. He's in bad shape and he was only on this last one as a last hoorah! (p.s. I hope I'm wrong on this.)

Something will happen involving Iran. It's only a matter of time, they keep thumbing their noses at the U.S., Europe, and the U.N. over the matter of nuculear (sp?) material, someone's going to twitch on it this year. Likely Israel will. (and again I hope I'm wrong)
S3nd K3ys
I was seated in my library chair, mulling over current events, trying to make a few new year's predictions. I was concentrating hard, when suddenly I saw before my eyes a headline from the New York Times. It read, "Congress Votes to End War; Troops Ordered to Abandon Iraq."

The view changed. Just as in Vietnam three decades ago, I saw Americans clinging to helicopters, trying to get themselves out of Baghdad along with friendly Shiite Muslims. There was massive confusion, bombs going off in the background.

And then, I saw pictures out of Afghanistan. Al Qaeda had toppled the new Afghan government. Marines and soldiers again were hurriedly boarding choppers. It can't be real, I thought but it was.

The next thing I saw was a picture of Palestine, where most of the al Qaeda terrorists had now gone. The Israeli government was in disarray, reeling under a series of huge bomb blasts in Jerusalem.

Country after country was falling to the Islamic fascists: Saudi Arabia. Turkey. Egypt. For the most part, the terrorists simply refused to ship oil, and what they did ship was priced at over $150 a barrel. It was a worldwide crisis. Europe quickly signed a non-aggression pact with al Qaeda in exchange for oil.

Then came the most devastating picture of all: panic in the streets of Washington, D.C., as a dirty bomb exploded not a quarter of a mile from the Capitol. Huge sections of the city were cordoned off, uninhabitable. Even people with the best protective equipment suffered serious radiation burns. Projections were that the area would be off-limits for years. Then came the bombing of the Holland Tunnel, connecting New York and New Jersey then the collapse of the pillars of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The government threatened retaliation, of course but there was no one to retaliate against. The Islamo-fascists were spread throughout the world, and it was impossible to strike against all the countries that were harboring them or being run by them. Osama bin Laden himself appeared on Al Jazeera, boasting that he had known all along that the Americans wouldn't fight.

By now, most American television was not operating. But I could still get one channel. Talking heads were arguing frantically over how this could have happened. One man's voice stood out when he said, "It was all so foreseeable. Once you rule religion a private matter, and declare all religions alike, no one in this country could understand the dimensions of a great religious struggle. No one understood the clash of civilizations or the evil of Islamo-fascism. We didn't even have the language to describe religious beliefs anymore. Destruction was inevitable."

And that's when I woke up in a cold sweat.

It was 5:00 a.m. I went immediately to the front door. Good the newspaper was there. I flipped it open. There was nothing in the headlines except the confirmation fight over Alito, more quibbling over Iraq all the usual banter that goes on endlessly in the press. But as I walked into the house, my knees were still shaking.

It was only a dream. We're okay, I told myself.

Or are we?
philipstessens
I'm glad to inform you that Frihost now has a second server with the DirectAdmin control panel. As of now, all new accounts will be created on that server. All features will remain the same on the second server.
philipstessens
i predict the fall of the conservative
philipstessens
1. Someone, and I do not know who, will make a big pile of Big Media video assets freely available on the web - and not via Google Video. This will be a major studio, or television company, which will realize that once you free content, content will come back to you in mashed up and remixed glory that has - holy smokes! - real business models like advertising and retail attached. The deal will be simple: anyone can download, rip, and mix this video, but if you plan to make money from it - even selling ads next to it - you have to cut a deal with the mother ship. The company that does this will be heralded as either visionary, lunatic, or both.

2. Google will stumble, some might say badly, but it will be significant. How? My money is on its second or third major deal - something on the order of the recent AOL deal. It may well be a loss (perceived or otherwise) in the Google Book Search case. Or it might be the privacy issue. This is not to say the company is going to fail, or the stock, for that matter. Just that it will face a major test in 2006 that it won't pass with flying colors.

3. Speaking of privacy, there will be a major court case involving the database of intentions that gets legislators talking about "protecting the common citizen" (or somesuch) from "the perils of unprotected Internet data mining" (or somesuch).

4. Google and Yahoo will both enter the video (nee television) advertising marketplace.

5. Microsoft will gain five points of search share, at least. But...

6. Vista will launch, and its much anticipated and feared desktop search integration will be viewed as anemic. The whisper as to why? Fear of the DOJ....

7. "Web 2.0" will make the cover of Time Magazine, and thus its moment in the sun will have passed. However, the story that drives "Web 2.0" will only strengthen, and folks will cast about for the next best name for the phenomenon.

8. iTunes will begin to get the speed wobbles as the music industry decides it wants to control its distribution just like in the good old days.

9. The massive telephony industry will begin to crush mammals left and right as its core business model continues a long and painful death dance. "Mammals" are defined as anyone who happens to be in its way as it attempts - scarily but unsuccessfully - to force a two-tiered Internet onto all of us.

10. The pace of Internet startup acquisitions will not be as torrid as most entrepreneurs and VCs had hoped.

11. There will be one major new IPO that briefly gets the press talking about "the Next Google." But it won't live up to the hype.

12. It will be a long year of head scratching and simmering disputes in the "content creation" business as the major platforms shift strategy on RSS, in particular, and blogging, broadly. In other words, we won't get nearly as much accomplished as we hoped. At issue is how content creators export their business model through RSS aggregation platforms. Near the end of the year, though, there will be a breakthrough deal that clarifies business model standards in the RSS space.

13. Mobile. I repeat my mobile prediction from last year, in the hope that it will come true this year: Mobile will finally be plugged into the web in a way that makes sense for the average user and a major mobile innovation - the kind that makes us all say - Jeez that was obvious - will occur. At the core of this innovation will be the concept of search. The outlines of such an innovation: it'll be a way for mobile users to gather the unstructured data they leverage every day while talking on the phone and make it useful to their personal web (including email and RSS, in particular). And it will be a business that looks and feels like a Web 2.0 business - leveraging iterative web development practices, open APIs, and innovation in assembly - that makes the leap.

14. The China Internet Bubble will begin to deflate.

15. Tivo and NetFlix will merge.

16. I will not write another book, but my publisher will ask me to update the one I did write. I'll point him to this site and leave it at that....

17. My new business (FM) will grow in fits and starts. By the end of the year, it will either be close to claiming success, or a glorious and noble whiff. Either way, it'll be one hell of a ride....

As always, thanks to all of you for your feedback, your gracious insights, your not so gracious calling me out when I need calling out, and most importantly, for your support in what has been the most satisfying and energizing year of my professional life.

Happy Holidays and here's to a Wonderful New Year!
philipstessens
1. Someone, and I do not know who, will make a big pile of Big Media video assets freely available on the web - and not via Google Video. This will be a major studio, or television company, which will realize that once you free content, content will come back to you in mashed up and remixed glory that has - holy smokes! - real business models like advertising and retail attached. The deal will be simple: anyone can download, rip, and mix this video, but if you plan to make money from it - even selling ads next to it - you have to cut a deal with the mother ship. The company that does this will be heralded as either visionary, lunatic, or both.

2. Google will stumble, some might say badly, but it will be significant. How? My money is on its second or third major deal - something on the order of the recent AOL deal. It may well be a loss (perceived or otherwise) in the Google Book Search case. Or it might be the privacy issue. This is not to say the company is going to fail, or the stock, for that matter. Just that it will face a major test in 2006 that it won't pass with flying colors.

3. Speaking of privacy, there will be a major court case involving the database of intentions that gets legislators talking about "protecting the common citizen" (or somesuch) from "the perils of unprotected Internet data mining" (or somesuch).

4. Google and Yahoo will both enter the video (nee television) advertising marketplace.

5. Microsoft will gain five points of search share, at least. But...

6. Vista will launch, and its much anticipated and feared desktop search integration will be viewed as anemic. The whisper as to why? Fear of the DOJ....

7. "Web 2.0" will make the cover of Time Magazine, and thus its moment in the sun will have passed. However, the story that drives "Web 2.0" will only strengthen, and folks will cast about for the next best name for the phenomenon.

8. iTunes will begin to get the speed wobbles as the music industry decides it wants to control its distribution just like in the good old days.

9. The massive telephony industry will begin to crush mammals left and right as its core business model continues a long and painful death dance. "Mammals" are defined as anyone who happens to be in its way as it attempts - scarily but unsuccessfully - to force a two-tiered Internet onto all of us.

10. The pace of Internet startup acquisitions will not be as torrid as most entrepreneurs and VCs had hoped.

11. There will be one major new IPO that briefly gets the press talking about "the Next Google." But it won't live up to the hype.

12. It will be a long year of head scratching and simmering disputes in the "content creation" business as the major platforms shift strategy on RSS, in particular, and blogging, broadly. In other words, we won't get nearly as much accomplished as we hoped. At issue is how content creators export their business model through RSS aggregation platforms. Near the end of the year, though, there will be a breakthrough deal that clarifies business model standards in the RSS space.

13. Mobile. I repeat my mobile prediction from last year, in the hope that it will come true this year: Mobile will finally be plugged into the web in a way that makes sense for the average user and a major mobile innovation - the kind that makes us all say - Jeez that was obvious - will occur. At the core of this innovation will be the concept of search. The outlines of such an innovation: it'll be a way for mobile users to gather the unstructured data they leverage every day while talking on the phone and make it useful to their personal web (including email and RSS, in particular). And it will be a business that looks and feels like a Web 2.0 business - leveraging iterative web development practices, open APIs, and innovation in assembly - that makes the leap.

14. The China Internet Bubble will begin to deflate.

15. Tivo and NetFlix will merge.

16. I will not write another book, but my publisher will ask me to update the one I did write. I'll point him to this site and leave it at that....

17. My new business (FM) will grow in fits and starts. By the end of the year, it will either be close to claiming success, or a glorious and noble whiff. Either way, it'll be one hell of a ride....

As always, thanks to all of you for your feedback, your gracious insights, your not so gracious calling me out when I need calling out, and most importantly, for your support in what has been the most satisfying and energizing year of my professional life.

Happy Holidays and here's to a Wonderful New Year!
Donutey
Oil is gonna steadily increase in price, but not drastically. (Except in light of natural disaster Crying or Very sad)

Inflation will go up, and the housing bubble will burst (is bursting)

NASA will launch the shuttle hopefully...

Iraq...

idk...

Lol thats kinda depressing, but i hope it'll get better this year.
Cyouz
Who Has aany new year resolutions... Share!!! Very Happy
Cyouz
Well my New Year resolution is like having more fun than last year...

Making more friends...

Earning more $$$$$$$$$

Ya many many many many many more...
gonzo
ewfdemon wrote:
just your real feeling

I don't base judgements on feelings.
ocalhoun
My Equine Dream website will finally be up!
todabeat
Well,

it's not going to be a good at all. More sickness will spread out tru the world. new deases will be discovered. It's not going to be a good year for medicine. since they will have a lot of new work on their hands.

Also, rain; it's not going to rain as much specailly where its supposed to. what i mean it's that agriculture will have a major loss.
jawker
This is not my prediction but it will really happen:
>Before the end of year 2006, my website will be completely finished.
>I will have a good job and start earning for my future family

For my predictions:
>Philippines would somehow feel economic relief
>Baguio City will be and stand as the City of God in the Philippines
>Natural disasters and events will continue to happen as it has been
written in Revelations.

That's all!! God Bless You ALL!!
noexes89
Well, someone has been reading Searchblog.

Anyway, I think that sometime in the next year the world will implode. IT WILL HAPPEN.

That or someone will finally make frihost work. Oh god, I hope so.
budazz
i will rule the world...hehe
Marston
Barring a miracle, I say the world will explode due to George Bush's stupid ass deciding to go to nuclear war with some third world country by the end of 2006.

Nahhh, just kidding. I predict that Microsoft will release a new operating system, named Vista... I also predict that Vista will be terribly buggy, and will need to be patched weekly due to lazy programming.
hcjgh
i think tat year 2006 will be even worse than 2005 because people didnt learn enought and will the same mistaces!!! Bush will be forced to go out of iraq and will lose a lot of his vites becouse of all the secret things he had done and they will come out in this yeear!!!
lockwolf
Here are my 20 predicitons for 2006

1. Windows Vista will be released and fail miserably. Within this failure, Linux gains a large part of support and will be widely offered at all computer stores.

2. ATI and Nvidia will release 2 new GPU Chipsets each!

3. Halo 3, Quake 4 and Call of Duty 2 will be the top played games on Xbox 360 Live

4. Unreal Tournament 2007 will be voted as Game of the Year

5. Frihost shall gain popularity and have over 15,000 members by the end of the year

6. Myspace shall lose popularity as it is already a waste of time

7. Mozilia Firefox shall become the Most Popular Internet Browser

8. Gmail will be offering over 5GB of Email Space

9. DSL and Cable Internet will be replaced with a more affordable and faster internet connection.

10. Sattelite TV will become Obsolete.

11. Wireless Hotspots will be rendered useless by something simular to Verizons Wireless Internet Cards

12. Skateboarding will be bigger than it already is now.

13. Rock will come back in style and replace hip hop and rap

14. The Moto Razr will go out of style

15. Ipods will be offering wireless internet and games

16. Video Mail will be offered by all Broadband ISPs and some Free Email accounts.

17. MP3s will be replaced with a smaller, higher quality Codec

18. Sourceforge will reach 200,000 registered projects

19. My Website, Master Lockwolf 4.0 will reach 100 forum members, 200 blog posts and at least 1000 pageviews a month

20. I'll get a girlfriend, I hope
ewfdemon
Ya'll really posted some things to think about. Very cool. (except for the blatent promos for websites lolol)
alkady
I predict that google stocks will hit an all time high and I can finally sell my stocks at a very outrageous price considering I'd pay peanuts for my 100 shares meaning I'd pratically make $54,000.00 minus the $9,000.00 I'd paid and the $70.00 commission ($30.00 for buying, $30.00 for selling)

Playstation 3 will be a hit and sell a hell of a lot of units. I'll be getting one.

Kingdom Hearts II and Final Fantasy 12 will be out, Finally.

Oil will hit an all time high depleting my google earnings by years end probably.

Window Vista will be out and I'd finally be able to buy a new computer and be ready for the years to come in technology.

I'd be one step to riches

The winter olympics in Italy will be a shocker since Communist China will be grabbing more medals than ever in a show of force in preparations for the 2008 olympics in Beijing.

Black and Beige computer chassis will be out of fashion completely since the grey ones seem to be everywhere these days. W00T one step further for man kind since it will match the vision of the future.

HD & Blu Ray disc will completely make CD's look primitive, But CD's will still have a few decades to go before they are gone.

VCR's will finally be yesterday's technology.

The economy won't be what we believe it will be, Will rising debts and the world in a insecurity never seen before with the modern threats of the 21st century it will lead to disasters for future generations.
spelbound
1. The Impeach Bush movement will increase and spread to middle america.

2. People will realize that Paris Hilton became famous for no reason, and forget about her.

3. Global warming will be discovered as a lie

4. Canadas dollar will be at par with the U.S.

5. North Korea will become more militant

6. Microsoft will be sued for something.

7. Windows will decline in numbers.

8. Filesharing will continue and expand

9. A new internet boom

10.Mac shares will drop, because too many ipod updates...ipod enthusiast will tire of having to have the latest mac gadget.