You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows xp mediacenter

I have a xbox 360, and I want to view movies on it that i have on my computer. To be able to do this I have to install windows xp Mediacenter. Is this worth the money? I have win xp pro installed on my computer now.
I think you can stream video to the XBox from Windows XP. I may be wrong, but have you tried running Windows Update and installing the "Windows Media Connect" software update? This is to allow you to stream media content across a network.

Try this first - like I said I'm not 100% sure, but I think you will be able to stream anything you like to the XBox.
I don't know what the deal is with media center edition. When it was first released, Microsoft didn't sell it, and it had to be preloaded onto a windows computer. However, I have heard of places that sell the operating system now.

I have it on my laptop, and think it's kinda useless. Recording tv is really good on it, but the rest (like watching movies, listening to music, etc.) can be done with programs that won't require you to pay money. I think it's only good if you are using it on a large screen, and want to use the remote. If that doesn't matter, stick to a normal XP install.
It's just like microsoft to provide a one stop solution for the fussy computer users. All you need to do is just use the remote to control, you do not even have to bother about installing what kind of application to use. They provide support to it i guess is kind of like a trade off of money for the support and a bundled solution for a media center.
Yeah I have Windows Media Center installed on my comp. It came stock when I bought the computer like 3 months ago. I gotta say, it has some cool features, but nothing worth upgrading from windows xp pro. Especially if you are thinking of paying retail price for it.