FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

usb pen linux dristo

AndyBroke
I want to put linux on my usb pen, so I can take it with me and use it on any computer. The usb pen has a storage capasity of 128 mb. What dristo do you recommend? And are there any good tutorials for putting linux on a usb pen?
Animal
Without a doubt, DSL (Damn Small Linux) - it's only 50Mb and I believe you can download an image of a bootable flash drive from their site.

Check it out at http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
root
Damn Small Linux (smallest distro around) or Gentoo (best distro around)
pomp
Use feather linux . It has a specially configured version for USB pen drives and has many every day use software packed in the small space.

http://featherlinux.berlios.de/
kenetix
I agree with Animal and root, use DSL, it's very nice
ocalhoun
I'd reccomend a different route:
A bootable CD
I use two types of linux on cd:
Knoppix 3.3
SuSE live eval 9.1

Between the two of them I have complete hardware support for any PC, and they are both loaded with lots of applications and KDE 3.1. (Knoppix even includes the gimp.

Both CD's will automaticly set up internet access as well. (supposing your're on a network with a proxy like I am).
kv
my recommendation: puppy linux. around 48 MB, has lot of features.
steveadams617
If you boot Damn Small Linux from a CD with your USB drive plugged in, right click on the desktop and choose Apps, then Tools, then Install to USB Pendrive and choose which kind of installation, it will run you through an install script. More info is available on the DSL wiki. If you get serious, write and I'll post more info. Be warned: it may create a partition on your pen drive that will make it so that some version of windows won't be able to see the rest of it.
AndyBroke
Thank you for your answers. I think I will use DSL Smile
Dino
try slax ( 120 mb ) , you can boot it from usb pen , cd, or sth other and you can unpack it to disk, then his size is about 560mb

dsl is ok distro
technology.sponge
use DSL - 50 megs
boots off cd/dvd/pen drive and can be installed permanently as an os on slower (P2?) computers?

can also run INSIDE windows