FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Software development

Wynand
Software development

Can anyone tell me how to write windows programs. What is the best program to use? How difficult is it.

In what language was Windows programmed?
frozenhead
Wynand wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to write windows programs. What is the best program to use? How difficult is it.

Well, there are a few languages to choose from but if you need a fast development tool, Visual Basic is for you and it's mainly made to develop windows applications. A new Visual Studio has been released by Microsoft last year. You can find more info in this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/ProductInfo/default.aspx.

But, I would suggest to learn first Visual Basic 6. (older version that of I mentioned above).

Wynand wrote:

I don't no if I'm right but I think Windows (Earliest version 3.1) is developed using the C language. Windows 9x, Me NT, 2000, XP, Vista in the other hand are developed in a complex and sophisticated structure.
Nicekiwi9
i havent used this yet, but ive seen it used and looks rather simple Visual Basic 6
ocalhoun
frozenhead wrote:

I don't no if I'm right but I think Windows (Earliest version 3.1) is developed using the C language. Windows 9x, Me NT, 2000, XP, Vista in the other hand are developed in a complex and sophisticated structure.

Good luck ever finding out, but surely they use a common laguage.
(otherwise Microsoft wouldn't need to guard their source code so zealously)
frozenhead
ocalhoun wrote:
frozenhead wrote:

Good luck ever finding out, but surely they use a common laguage.
(otherwise Microsoft wouldn't need to guard their source code so zealously)

Well, I have to agree with it... also. Wink , you got a good point.
Liu
Write a windows program? You mean software that can run on the windows platform? Well, there are many languages you can use.

If you're talking about the best program to use, you're probably talking about an IDE. I use netbeans for java, visual studios and emacs for c/c++ only for code formatting accompanied w/ the gcc/g++ compiler.

IDEs should never be hard to use. Their whole purpose is to aid the programmer not make it more difficult.
chennai
you can use visual studio 2005.Its beta ersion was distributed free by pcquest magazine
windval
frozenhead wrote:
Wynand wrote:

Well, there are a few languages to choose from but if you need a fast development tool, Visual Basic is for you and it's mainly made to develop windows applications. A new Visual Studio has been released by Microsoft last year. You can find more info in this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/ProductInfo/default.aspx.

But, I would suggest to learn first Visual Basic 6. (older version that of I mentioned above).

Wynand wrote:

i think so

u should learn VB6 first

it is very easy for the begginer
mschnell
I learned some C# first and then transfered to Java. Both work about the same. The benefit of C# is that you can use Visual Studio, which takes a ton of the headache out of making windows applets. In fact, it provides a GUI that makes things quite easy. I like it, granted I know nothing about Visual Basic, which is perhaps easier from what I'm reading.

Hope this helps!
-matt
AlexC
im not realy sure but isnt windows coded in assembly?
mike1reynolds
AlexC wrote:
im not realy sure but isnt windows coded in assembly?

No, it is written in C++...
Liu
mike1reynolds wrote:

proof?
zombi3
i wanna learn html better, cuz webdesign is fun and i want to get better at it.
frozenhead
Liu wrote:
mike1reynolds wrote:

proof?

Well, no one really knows (Microsoft outsiders) the exact platform used and the fact that the OS is not an opensource which really sucks. As I said in my first post here, it's probabbly C.

_
horseatingweeds
zombi3 wrote:
i wanna learn html better, cuz webdesign is fun and i want to get better at it.

Then learn non-depricated html and css!!!!

Not like all these old fogies.... Wink
Wynand
Can any of you tell me which software development environment/suite is commonly used by game designers today?

From what I've heard, Visual C++ 6 has been used in the past (for Quake 2, 3 and similar games).
jaycoo
There is no one program that will fully do a game and its an amalgamation of a few at least... there is the engine the front end and the graphics which are all done in different programs...I guess you have to work out what you dig the most... artwork or code crunching...
Sappho
frozenhead wrote:
Liu wrote:
mike1reynolds wrote:

proof?

Well, no one really knows (Microsoft outsiders) the exact platform used and the fact that the OS is not an opensource which really sucks. As I said in my first post here, it's probabbly C.

_

Actually looking and various new snipplets u can gather this info easily and it was even mentioned in various documentary movies about Microsoft.

Yea it was C u guessed it right. Wink

Quote from the days IE problem was in court:
Quote:
"The DOJ's expert technical witness, Glenn Weadock, testified that the Add/Remove Programs utility could easily be used to remove Internet Explorer. In fact, a dialog box points out that IE will be removed if the user proceeds with the process, he said. Microsoft attorneys ate up Weadock, however, making him admit that he didn't know C (the programming language used to create Windows 95 and IE) and couldn't identify which files were related to the OS and which were needed for IE."
Pablo Diablo
The general concensus for bulding simple window's programs is to use Visual Basic .NET. It's bar far the easiest to learn and most powerful.
Sappho
Pablo Diablo wrote:
Visual Basic .NET... ... most powerful.

Ok this is by far the best joke of the century, we have a winner lets skip to the 22th century Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just stand away from VB at all costs i repeat at ALL COSTS, it was designed as a tool to teach algorithms and coder's thinking and not as serious programming language which is apparent. Wink
James007
Moved to...Computer software and hardware
popnbrown
First off do you have any programming language experience? If so, wat. Also I recommend you join thecodecastle.com forum. There are many programmers there. C++ and Java are very popular right now. If you are looking to make games I suggest you start with C++ and then slowly go to Java. It is also good to do some kind of basic language like Visual Basic or Python. If you want to program graphics you should start OpenGL or Directrix9. I also suggest you go out to Borders or Barnes & noble and buy some books on the language you are going to learn. I suggest you read those books at the store to see if you understand them then buy the book. also try not to get books that say "Beginning C++ Game Programming". game programming books dont help you a great deal they only help you a little bit to understand the concept.
root
Windows is written in c.................

If you want to write windows programs quickly then use visual basic, fairly easy to learn.
qbawler311
Windows programs are platform limited. Using Java gives you the power to create modular programs (linux --> windows --> solaris...etc). The Java Software Development Kit is free from Sum Microsystems. It has a HUGE support community with many free development environments such as Eclipse and Netbeans to name a few (i prefer eclipse, but make GUI's with netbeans). When your done coding in Java it is not that hard to make your program a .exe for easy windows launching.
Kd527
M$ Visual Studio C# .Net is good. C# is a fairly easy language. I don't know a whole lot about it, but it's pretty good. Developing applications can be complicated and tedious. There are different resources you can use out there like codeguru.com. good luck!
DCLXVI
Wynand wrote:
Can any of you tell me which software development environment/suite is commonly used by game designers today?

From what I've heard, Visual C++ 6 has been used in the past (for Quake 2, 3 and similar games).

if ur gonna code an entire game, then u need a real IDE... not sum M$ dev environment... Get Qt3... Ull have to learn C or CPP if ur gonna code a game.

o yea, 4 ya M$ nerds, doze wuz coded in Assembler and C... C++ has never been in any part of windows native code.
md4friends
hey guys, about this topic i think the best to write windows program is C
also if u want to write games C++

md4friends Boo hoo!
Da Rossa
Wow, this was a 9-year revival!
So what happened in the last nine years? Something besides Visual Basic and C/C++ for Windows?