FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cricket : Umpire Intimidation

noliver
Cricket is supposed to be a friendly, gentleman's game Smile Yeah right. The way the poor umpires get abused lately does not seem to indicate that.
All this excessive appealing and then lengthy discussions with the umpires is not doing the game any good.

I know the umpires ( and Hawk-Eye) sometimes get things wrong , but I have never seen an umpire reverse his/her decision once it is given, no matter how many times you jump up and down or curse.

I guess the umpires also have some blame in this because they should not discuss any decision with the players ( in my view ) and just get on with things.

Just my two cents Smile
sunrise
Meh, I don't care much about too much appealing. It's part of the game, but what I don't like is double standards. When one of the teams from the subcontinent appeal what you would call excessively, the umpires/ICC immediately fine(s) them, but when other teams do it, they just condone it.
noliver
Yep, I have noticed that as well. Double standards all the way. But then again -after seeing some really bad umpiring ( yet again ) I can see why the players get so upset and want to know why their appeal was turned down.
mark
Yes, cricket is a gentleman's game. But humans make mistakes. Even umpires can make mistakes. However, if the umpire thinks that an LBW decision is a tough one to give, he should simply consult the third umpire. He might get it right. Well, thats just the way cricket is played. You can't help it.
Dragonfly
Humans make mistake so they have started using third umpire for in many instances but how come third umpire is not consulted when it comes to LBW and when the ball is caught by wicket-keeper or the first slip, snicko can reveal whether the ball edge-passed the bat or not which is not quite visible to the umpire in front. ?? It sucks not to take a wicket when just because of the umpire in question..