FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How can I make a linux partition just using Disk Managment.

earth2
How can I make a Linux partition just using Disk Management within Windows Home Edition? I have plenty of hard drive space to do this, I just can't seem to find a step-by-step guide online. I've seen somebody do it before, but I just can't remember all the steps. Any help would be great. Thanks.
root
It is not possible to add a Linux partition (ext2/ext3) with Disk Management. It can be done with third-party software such as Partition Magic. There are better and cheaper (free) ways to add a Linux partition to your disk by using the partition tools included in the installer of your distro, if your intention is to install Linux.

Hope that helps,

David
TheGeek
get a version of linux that has a disk partitioner included in it.

I know that Slackware 10.1 and 10.2 both have one, Suse has one, Fedora has one, i think that Red Hat does, Ubuntu does, Linspire i think does, and Mandrake does.
earth2
I received a few Ubuntu CD's in the mail so I think I'm going with that distro. So....all I have to do is put my Install CD of Ubuntu and it'll walk me through the partitioning of my hard drive. Is there any thing I need to watch out for as far as the Linux distro erasing my Windows partition? Thanks for the help. j.
steveadams617
Boot-it NG can create linux partitions. Below are some instructions I sent to someone who had a new XP install on a 40 gig hard drive and wanted a second partition:

Go to: http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html and download Boot-it NG.

Go to http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html and download MakeDisk

Use the instructions at the beginning of the manual for using MakeDisk to make a bootable CD-ROM or floppy.

With computer running, put in the Boot-it NG CD-ROM or floppy.

Restart computer

Click cancel (to cancel install)

Click okay (to enter maintenance mode)

Click on the icon that says "Partition Work" (Left side middle)

There should be only one partition listed in the middle of the screen approx 40,000 MB in size. Click on it to highlight it.

Click the resize button on the right.

Click okay (to check the file system)

In the re-size dialog box, type 7000 in the "New Size" box and click okay. If it won't let you do 7000 go as high as it needs, but not over 10,000.

Click continue (to bypass the warning about data loss)

When it says completed, click the close button

Your new partition will be named "------------" and have the file system type "Free Space". Click it to highlite it.

Click the Create button on the top right of the screen.

Choose the appropriate choice for linux file system you want to create from the file system drop down and choose a size. Check Format under options. Click okay.

Click okay in the format dialog and leave cluster size set to "Auto" (This step probably won't be there for creating a linux partition)

When it is finished, click okay (to acknowledge completion)

Click Close in the lower left

Remove CD-ROM and restart computer.

You can also use this tool to make a backup (compressed image) of your windows partition just in case. It's shareware if you install it on your hard drive. You aren't actually installing it, just using a few utilities. It's a great tool. Let's you resize partitions without destroying them, etc. It has a high learning curve.
earth2
Thanks for the the Boot-it NG link!
steveadams617
1) I might grab a book out of the library on Linux first. Learn about partitions, file systems, different kinds of Linux extended partitions, etc.

2) Learn about LILO and GRUB which are used to control the dual boot. http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html, http://linuxgazette.net/issue38/veselosky.html

3) Make sure you understand about MBR (master boot record).

4) Decide on a distrubution first and go to the message boards for that distribution and see what problems/tips people have for a dual boot. I might even post a message that says: Is this a good distribution for a first time installer who is nervous about distroying their windows installation. They might be able to tell you exactly what is going to pop up on the screen during the install at the point you are deciding where to install the Linux.

5) Make a backup image of your current configuration before you start with Ghost or Boot-It NG to a series of CD-ROMS.

6) Use a friend's old computer he/she has lying around the basement to practice an install on first.

7) Keep in mind that you can only have 4 primary partitions. You may want to configure linux so that it uses only one of them so that you can keep an image of your windows install on another and still have one free for the future.