FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

hosting requirement abuse

bliushift
So I get the fact that there is a hosting requirement to encourage active members of the forum and thus of the community. But to what means? I mean, I can see if you post to help others, almost like a free support forum or if you show off your web page to encourage others to use this host, but I don't see the point if there's a general chat and people are posting random things just for the sake of getting points.

If you look on the thread counts, the General Forum has the most threads. Is this whole thread wasted typing just to fulfill the requirement? Or is the purpose to get members involved through the General Forum to eventually help others on the forum? Is the intent simply to get people or is the intent to just have someplace to post?
Liu
General has the most threads because it's... well... general. It's expected.

I'm actually not even interested in the webhosting (I run my own servers), but was just looking for a new forum to visit outside of other forums I frequent (ddrfreak, collegeconfidential, bboy.org, bboyworld, and some random ones for my uni.)

So I guess it is serving it's purpose as a forum outside of "points", atleast to me.
essentialmedia
I agree with Liu the general forum is well, general. Duh.

I don't use the hosting either but it is a good place to talk to people and discuss things.

Better than Google boards or Yahoo. Less immature 12 year olds and better conversation.
Bondings
A lot of people don't even have a hosting account or have one but only for testing purposes or are only planning to make a website. So not everyone is posting in here for hosting. The hosting is used to attract more people to this community.

There are actually 3 different goals:
-Making community with both tech/hosting and general topics.
-Providing free hosting for those who want it.
-(coming soon)Articles/tutorials, also tech/hosting related.

essentialmedia wrote:
Better than Google boards or Yahoo. Less immature 12 year olds and better conversation.

Thank you essentialmedia, you just made my day. Very Happy
evilryu530
^^ amen to that brother. i believe the first purpose of this forum is to basically get people who are involved and interested in web, coding, design, technlogy, etc.. together and just chat it up. Along with that, free web hosting is provided and in order to maintain that status, members who want free hosting needt to maintain a quota of posts...i also agree that people who post random useless things should either not get points allocated/ points taken off, but then again we need man power to go through all the threads and read / decide what is useless and what is meaningful.
Animal
Let's be honest though, the main reason for the number of posts requirement is to keep users active on the forums. This is so Frihost gets money from advertizing so that they can provide the free hosting. There are some interesting and in-depth posts in the general section and there are some that are not so... it doesn't matter. It's an active community where there's the space and range for people to talk about pretty much anything that they like, and in turn it provides an excellent free service to those that want a good website.

So even if post's aren't entirely interesting, they serve a purpose and help keep the community and all the community's websites alive.
bdoneck
i believe that posting for hosting is much better than anything else, you get a package the same quality as most hosts you pay for, and the administrators can at least know that their members are alive with a forum.
jveezy
I used to think the concept of posting for hosting was stupid. But now that I've done it for a while, it's really not bad at all.

Forums like the General Chat forum or others make it easy to find something that I'm interested in posting on so whenever I post I can actually make an honest, well thought out post and not some spam just to get points to maintain my hosting account.

I get to chat/argue with others and I get free hosting.

Frihost gets impressions and maybe even some clicks (sometimes I'll click just for the hell of it) and gets enough revenue to provide me and many others with free hosting.

It's give and take. To me, it's genius.
paul_indo
I was also a bit sus about posting for hosting. I thought it would be a real hassle and I would end up loosing my site for not enough posts.

In fact I didn't bother trying it untill I got really fed up with two other free hosting sites. One was OK but too small for anything useful, the other I couldn't even log on to for 3 weeks after my site was approved and they never even answered my queries about it.

I agree with essentialmedia, this is the best forum I have used. I have pretty much given up on other forums, except for one job specific one I still use occassionaly.

People here are friendly and usually make usefull comments.
No abuse, bitching or childish rants like I have got sick of on many other forums.

You've done a great job Bondings.
And thanks for the opportunity to publish my website on a quality server.
n0obie4life
I'm here to irritate Bondings. That's all.

Bye.

No actually, there are less idiots here, probably a much better place to post in too Razz
budazz
this is the general topic section post what ever you like....
gonzo
it is required. don't question authority
Nyizsa
essentialmedia wrote:
Better than Google boards or Yahoo.

Congrats, Bondings, the first step towards world domination has been taken!

By the way, I also did not really understand the purpose of this "hosting for posting". One of the reasons I didn't like the idea was that I am not a native English speaker. (I'm Hungarian, you know.) But I started it, just to give it a try. And then I helped others, and others helped me. After 3 weeks of membership I must say I like it!
paul_indo
Yes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Better than Google, Yahoo and 99% of the other forums on the net.

This is a great concept.
lockwolf
It kicks the crap out of all the "circlejerk" (Im not talking the urban dictionary meaning) forums that my friends visit and piss people off for no reason. All they do is talk crap about people on them and post totally pointless topics, way more pointless than anything I have seen here.
Carupieara
n0obie4life wrote:
No actually, there are less idiots here, probably a much better place to post in too Razz

Trust me - the idiots have found their way here too - apparently in large numbers! Eh?
smokey4life
I see bliushift's point but at the same time like animal said you guys are recieving money from ad displays and whatnot from people posting in the general boards even if it is random nonsense....so as long as it follows the rules and ToS and you guys are your making yours what the hell right? Smile
tidruG
gonzo wrote:
it is required. don't question authority

Actually, question everything. Only when you get a satisfying answer should you conform to the rules or believe in something.

Anyway, yes it's true that the site gets some revenue from the ads, and it's this revenue that keeps our servers ticking, so... Wink

And well, as Bondings explained... the site is more about the community forums.

And also, I noticed that though a lot of members posted about what a great job Bondings was doing with the site, no one mentioned the Moderators for keeping the forums running great. Confused

(just kidding)
n0obie4life
tidruG wrote:
And also, I noticed that though a lot of members posted about what a great job Bondings was doing with the site, no one mentioned the Moderators for keeping the forums running great. Confused

Look, Bondings is the "king" around (when I think he's evil anyway). So obviously, the moderators get overlooked and the "kings" get looked at all the time.

I think the MODERATORS frequent the forum more than the admins do..just to NOT name some admins, there's only 2 active admins AFAIK.

Yes, personal attacks against admins. Not happy?
Nyizsa
tidruG wrote:

Well... yes. You're right. But you (and all the moderators) should be happy about this. I mean, the fact that everybody forgot about moderators. Because this means that you do your job in a manner that you don't make anyone actually think of you as moderators.
So, keep up keeping the quality of the forums!
James007
Yes most of the general chat is spam Very Happy
But when I enter this section... I close my eyes... and I don't see them anymore Wink

James Smile
S3nd K3ys
n0obie4life wrote:
I

Twisted Evil
Soulfire
Well, the term "General" qualifies many different subjects. And it is to be expected that people are going to post for the sake of points. As points are a requirement to have free hosting, isn't that expected that everyone would post for the sake of points?

I post for the sake of points, we all do it - whether we mean to or not, it's just what happens, it's what is required to happen, it's what automatically happens.
Nyizsa
There are some topics I like in General chat. The ones that make me think. We are all human beings, with our own opinions, and it's interesting to look things from the angle of a different culture.
I don't like the "What is your favourite ..." topics, though. These are not conversations, just expressions of opinions - without one influencing the other. They worth points, anyway... Smile
vinx_18
I got here because of free webhosting coz i want to publish my creation in the web. I look for a free webhosting and found FRIHOST because I don't have any money to spend for webhosting coz I'm still studying...
But eventually as time goes by I was in love posting point of views and opinions. I think I will never leave this site...THIS SITE IS COOL!!!

FRIHOST RULES! Laughing
n0obie4life
James007 wrote:
But when I enter this section... I close my eyes... and I don't see them anymore Wink

James Smile

So, how'd you get to this topic?

@nyizsa

"What is your favourite.." topics are 100% locked at sight. We, the moderators or staff of Frihost are also human beings who live, and breathe, therefore, we have the rights to miss out on stuff, or make mistakes or become forum trolls (although heck, I'm already one).

vink_18 wrote:
I think I will never leave this site...THIS SITE IS COOL!!!

That's what everyone says.
clip
n0obie4life wrote:

vink_18 wrote:
I think I will never leave this site...THIS SITE IS COOL!!!

That's what everyone says.

Then I'll say it once more. 'This site is friggin' cool!!! Very Happy ' R0x0rs!
madsencarl
I came here for the hosting, but stayed for the community. I was just thinking "Oh, this'll be cake, just spam a couple times a day and I'll be right". But no, I defied myself and actually made contirbuting posts (most of the time, anyway).
So yeh, go FriHost!
blackheart
The point I believe is to expose us to advertising...
James007
n0obie4life wrote:
James007 wrote:

James Smile

So, how'd you get to this topic?

I have the gift noobie... Angel
SunburnedCactus
The gift of transparent eyelids? Very Happy
James007
SunburnedCactus wrote:
The gift of transparent eyelids? Very Happy

Yes and I wear sunglasses at night.. so I... nooo Very Happy

Back ontopic now... Angel