FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Mambo Users

jarred89
Hello, Is there any Mambo users in here? I need help setting up my site. Add me to your MSN if you want vid.kid@hotmail.com thanks
maclui
Quote:
And yes, Bowie is in the background. I found Mambo easy to install thanks to a great tutorial in the Mambers forum. I was having a horrible time with Joomla until someone walked me through it and helped me realize how very easy it is. I do not use CPanel and don't know if issues there are different, nevertheless, these are the very basic, simple instructions that I use to install. Maybe there are other non-technically proficient people in here who could benefit from this, too.

Step by step Joomla installation for beginners and dummies…like me!

This tutorial is just for beginners and assumes you have the following basic knowledge or skills:

1. Using ftp client software, such as smart ftp, filezilla, etc, to download and upload files and change the permission of directories or files.

2. Extracting compressed file with tar for .tar.gz file (This is unpacked after uploading to a host/server. On my server, this is simply a click on ‘unpack’) or winzip(winrar) for .zip file. (This is for unpacking on your desktop and then using ftp to upload to your host/server.)

3.You have downloaded the current stable version of Joomla_1.0.2-Stable Full_Package.tar.gz

4. You have MYSQL database privileges.

Preparation:

1. Decompress/unpack the Joomla_1.0.2-Stable Full_Package.tar.gz to your Joomla or web root directory OR FTP all unzipped Joomla files and folders from your local directory to your remote Joomla or web root directory- which is usually either a public_html or html folder in your file manager. (Note: If you want Joomla to be your site, use the root directory. Otherwise, create a Joomla directory in your file manager and put all Joomla files and folders there. )

2. Create a database and remember the name/username/password. You will need it later.

3. If your host/server has a default “More to come soon” type of welcome message prior to building a site, you will need to either delete these files or create a directory and park them for use later.

4. Now, using a web browser, type in yoursite.com and the Pre-Installation Check page should come up. This is a wizard that will guide you through the rest of the installation. If it doesn’t show up when you type in your site’s URL, it’s probably because there is an index file that is the default welcome as discussed in #3 above. You can correct this or simply use this URL: yoursite.com/installation/index.php and that should bring it up.

When you pull up the Pre-Installation Check page, there will be quite a few items that are 'unwriteable’ in red, but don’t worry about that yet. The following will probably be unwriteable / in red: configuration.php, Register Globals and ALL of the folders under the Directory and File Permissions section.

Here’s how to resolve this:

1. Using your FTP client, open your remote site and highlight (shift) all of the folders in your Joomla directory. (This is easier and quicker than doing them one at a time.) Using right click, find the option to change permissions, CHMOD. In Smart FTP, that’s "Properties/CHMOD “. In Filezilla, it’s “File Attributes”. Right click and change the number to 777 which will be easiest for installation purposes. You can always re-assign later.

2. Now, with FTP, scroll down below the folders and locate configuration.php-dist and change the permissions of it to 777.

3. Go back to your Pre-Installation Check page and click Check Again in the top right corner. If any folders are still unwriteable / in red, then they are sub-directories and you’ll need to use FTP again to go to those specific folders and change permissions. For example, in my installation, I still have the following unwriteable: administrator/backups/, administrator/components/, administrator/modules/, and several others. Also, at the top, the configuration.php-dist file is still unwriteable red.

4. Use the list of the sub-directories in red/unwriteable as a guide to go change those specific folders to 777 using FTP. For example, open the administrator folder and you will see the backups/components/modules/templates folders as well as others. Using your CTRL, highlight the folders in red and right click to change permissions. When finished going into each of the sub-directories to change permissions, click ‘Check Again’ and all of the folders under the Files and Permissions section should be green/writeable now. Don’t worry about the red/unwriteable Register Globals or configuration file just yet.

With permissions resolved, continue the installation wizard:

5. At the top, click Next.

6. After reviewing the GNU/GPL license, click Next.

7. Step 1 is entering the database name you created as well as your user name and password.

8. Step 2 …name your site, My Site, home of the __ eg / whatever description you want.

9. Step 3…The URL and path of your site should already be in the boxes. Create your default email. I usually use either admin@mysite.com or info@mysite.com and then create that email later. It is VERY IMPORTANT to change the Joomla admin password to something you can remember. If you forget what it is, you’ll probably need to reinstall Joomla…don’t let that happen. Make a note of what your Joomla admin password is.

10. When you click on Step 4, you will see your Joomla Username (admin) and that all important-to-remember Password. Below that, you will see a bunch of code. You are going to need to copy this directly into your configuration.php-dist file in your file manager. For comfort, you might simply open a text pad document and copy the code in there. That way you will have a back up. I find it easiest to simply open configuration.php-dist in my file manager, click edit, highlight all the existing text, then hit paste to replace it with the code. The last thing you’ll need to do here is change the name of the configuration.php-dist file. Again, I do this in my file manager. Change the name to configuration.php (dropping the –dist).

11. Now, click either ‘view site’ or ‘administration’ in the top right corner and what you will see is a box that has ‘Joomla Logo’, your site description and the following instructions: For your security please completely remove the installation directory including all files and sub-folders – then refresh this page.

12. Do as it instructs using either FTP or your file manager to delete the installation folder. Then refresh your page. You will either see the default template or the Joomla admin and now you configure your site!

This steps are from the forum at the Joomla (former mambo) home page that is www.joomla.org. If you need further help there are many information there. I am trying to use it lately, as a matter of fact I just installed it today using this steps above, so it really works.

To be honest I find very difficult to find info and resources for joomla. I wanted to use xoops but at last minute I changed my mind.