FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

wifi computer to computer

sparty
Hello
I have tried to connect two computers using wlan. I even get connected but I couldn't share anything.
Thing is that my friend living 100m from me and we work some things together but ever time when we do some exchange we use USB stick or CD or sending thru the mail. But that is very slow and limited to 10mb
If any one can help me or give some link with explanations I will be gratefully.
longjack
Are you using Windows ? If so..

The simplest way to do it is to put everything you want to share in the Shared Documents folder.

Do the following on both machines.

Go to Control Panel, Network Connections. Right Click on the Wireless Network, then click Properties. Check to see that File and Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks is there and checked off. I think it is by default.

Open My Computer, Right Click the Shared Documents Folder, select Sharing and see what it says.

If Simple File Sharing is on, and it usually is by default, I Think you can just put files in that folder to share them.

Check it out. When the folder is open, click on Tools in the upper menu, Then Folder Options, then View. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the list of options and make sure Simple File Sharing is checked.

Turned off, you get into user/password and folder sharing permissions issues that may complicate the procedure.

Right Click My Computer and then Properties. Choose the Computer Name Tab and check the Workgroup name. It defaults to MSHOME, and if both computers are in the same workgroup it will be easier.

Make sure the windows firewalls aren't blocking LAN traffic.

Click Start, then run. Type the other computers IP address in this format \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. For example. If the other computer is 192.168.1.10, type \\192.168.1.10 and the shared folder will show up in an explorer window.

I don't use simple file sharing, so I'm trying to explain this from memory. If it doesn't work let me know.

This is for XP. 98 is easier, but different. Let me know if the machines are 98.

longjack
bogden
i don't think there's much to add to those instructions; but one configuration setting that could be vital for this to work is "AD_HOC" in your wifi configuration (i think it could be at the driver level, not in the WEP/etc configuration).
Animal
bogden wrote:
i don't think there's much to add to those instructions; but one configuration setting that could be vital for this to work is "AD_HOC" in your wifi configuration (i think it could be at the driver level, not in the WEP/etc configuration).

bogden is right - you need to set your computers up to use an "Ad-Hoc" network rather than an "Infrastructure" network. Ad-Hoc networks allow you to connect two computers to each other directly. The advantage is that it's quite easy to set up and you don't need any other hardware.

However, you can not protect an Ad-Hoc network with WEP or equivalent. If you only use it infrequently for filesharing between two computers, this shouldn't be a problem, but if you want to use one computer to access the internet through the other, I wouldn't recommend using this type of network setup. It's insecure and someone who knows what they are doing could get access to your shared files and your internet bandwidth.
longjack
sparty wrote:
Hello
I have tried to connect two computers using wlan. I even get connected but I couldn't share anything. .

My first explanation was with the assumption that you and your friend were sharing the same wireless router and are, therefore, on the same subnet.

If that's not true, and you both have your own wireless, then you have to go with a FTP / SFTP setup, or, use web shared folders, like what Foldershare provides, for example:

https://www.foldershare.com/

You and your friend would set up Foldershare to share a folder on each other's machine. The free program is adequate for what you need. I use it all the time to sync my laptops, which is essentially what you want to do with your friend.

The other option FTP, requires one of you to run an FTP server. Both of you need FTP clients. You'll have to forward the ports 21-22 through your wireless routers to use it.

longjack
root
Are you and your friend connected to the same router or do you two just have wireless cards, in which case you should use ad_hoc mode.