FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dream Machine for an 18 year Old

toshlad
Hi All,

My eldest son is in to all sorts of games such as Doom, Civilisation etc.

I'm going to build him a PC for his 18th birthday.

I've been in the IT industry for nearly 18yrs myself and have no problem building the machine but I'd like your input in to what should go in to this dream machine.

I'd like to know what you'd put in to yours for both resource hungry games and online gaming. I guess I'm not in to all these new games as much as I thought.

So the main components I'd like you to list are:

1, Motherboard
2, CPU
3, Graphics Card
4, Amount of memory
5, HDD - Size and type (IDE or SATA)

The rest I think I can handle Smile

Thanks for your help in advance.
Srs2388
1.) motherboard......sorry dont know a ton about these....
2.)CPU..... pentium4 2.40Ghz
3.)graphics card NVIDIA is my favorite i have a Gforce 420 is great =)
4.memory the more the better of corse 256 wont really be good for gaming id say at least 512MB......
5. i hear the SATA is faster but, not alot.... you'll end up spending alot more money for them and it wont help alot......

just my thoughts I hope this was of some help
Naif
Hello Mr. Toshlad. You didnt specify what your budget is. I can give you a good quotation but I'll need to know your budget. I would recommend you go for an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ or better processor instead of an Intel. As far as the motherboard and graphics card goes, I will need to know your budget.
Sephz0r
I don't know much about motherboards, but the best components would be:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ or equivalent Turion 64.
Radeon X1800 GFX (http://www.ati.com/products/RadeonX1800/index.html)
80GB Seagate HD
1024MB RAM. (DDR/DDR2)

Check out this if you are willing to spend on a pre-built but self customisable machine: http://www.aacdirect.com/customkititems.asp?ic=LXSCFAMD

New ATI Crossfire Technology: http://www.ati.com/technology/crossfire/faq.html
cheeta
this is the age of dual core.. so think of dual core processor... & as its a assembled PC so every chance of upgrading of adding hardware latter... so get a dual core Processor.. nforce SLI4 based chipset mobo... for few month u can stay on onboardgraphics but if the cost no matter then can go for the grafics card also...

about RAM... DDR2 533 Mhz... amount should be over 1GB... HDD.. go for 160GB SATA-II based HDD...

so...

well this may be a dream PC but may not be practical for the cost... so pls give us ur budget... thats the main thing...
root
toshlad
Guys, don't worry about the budget.

I also don't use AMD CPUs Smile So Intel only please.

Thanks for your Ideas so far.

Just keep them coming.

Cheers
root
It's unfourtunate that you arn't willing to use an AMD, a new experience is always a good one, especially for something thats sooo much better Wink

But thats besides point.

For your motherboard, I reccomend the ASUS P5N32-SLI Deluxe. ASUS has been famous for it's previous Intel boards, and this board is no different, it's amazing. (I'm getting the AMD version of this board.)

As for processor, get an Intel Pentium D. You can choose between the 820, 830, and 840, depending on how much speed you want and how much you are willing to pay.

Video Card: get an eVGA Nvidia video card. Look at their site to see a list of products, and determine how much you're willing to spend on the card. The best video card at the moment is the Nvidia 7800 GTX 512 MB

Let me know if there's anything else you need a reccomendation for. As always, use Newegg to buy the parts, cheaper and reliable service. I'll make a thread about the dream computer im going to buy and you can maybe get some idea from there.
Sephz0r
I'm sorry, but it's a bit stubborn going with an Intel over an AMD when you're building a "dream machine" for a gamer.

PFFT.
abhinav_shah
1, Motherboard - Intel d955xbk
2, CPU - Intel Pentium 4 3 Ghz with HT technology
3, Graphics Card - Geforce with 256 MB of Ram
4, Amount of memory - 512 MB
5, HDD - Size and type (IDE or SATA) - IDE, 80 GB

http://www.abhinav.frih.net
hodgenpodg
1. anything from ASUS...very reliable company with good service and warranty...and also known as good overclockers if hes into that sort of thing
2. personally i prefer AMD but you could go either AMD or Intel and all will be good just make sure its over 2.4 ghz or so that should do
3. best bang for the buck would have to be the nvidia 7800 GT (ive always been a nvidia fan) or maybe a 6800 Ultra if you dont wanna spend $250+ on video card
4. Atleast 1 gig of ram although 2 would be better and its not too expensive
5. I'd say atleast 80 GB HDD and preferably SATA (if the motherboard supports it get SATAII (aka SATA3 SATA300))....take a look at the WD 74Gb 10,000 RPM Raptor drive its incredibly fast, but a bit pricey

take a look at www.newegg.com if you havent already thats likely where you would get the best deals
Rocky3478
1. Definetly an ASUS board.
2. Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz CPU
3. Geforce 6800 or 7800 series graphics card.
4. 2 Gbs of RAM. No less.
5. A RAID of 2 36 Gb Western Digital Raptor HDs for OS and programs, and a Seagate 200+ Gb SATA II HD for data storage....
Sephz0r
What's up with all the Pentium fanboys?

Pentium is over hyper and the HT stuff is a crock of shit. AMD is a superior processor for gaming.
grantmaster
not to mention the fact that any and all of the Pentiums I've ever run JUST SEEM SLOWER!

Note: I run tech support for a school district, and I've tested a whole bunch of systems. IMHO put together a wintel (windoze, intel) system and you'll build the slowest that you possible can....
papercut
u shud try AMD! lol!

motherboard- sorry, i dunno about these

CPU - Intel pentium 4 extreme edition (bearing in mind that its £800 ish)

Graphics - ATi 512mb card - thay all have their ups and downs

Hard drive - NOT MAXTOR (loud, hot and slow) SATA 2 200GB Seagate

Sound: creative soundblaster
takercena
Believe me. This is the most powerful gaming machine that i can picture into my head

Mainboard = Asus nforce 4 SLI 16x

Graphic Card = 2 Nvidia FX Quadro 4500 for SLI configuration (pro recommended)
http://nvidia.com/page/qfx_uhe.html

CPU = AMD athlon 64 4800X (dual core) = perfect for multi tasking
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 =perfect for gaming

choose either one but my suggestion will be AMD Athlon64 4800x
because the future gaming will depend on dual core system even
FX 57 win the competition right now. People use Intel because their marketing strategy. But Amd counter it by using PR. As example AMD 2500+= p4 2.5 ghz even the processor(AMD) lower than 2ghz

Memory=4gb dual channel

Hard disk= 4 x 300 GB or more so your son can save many data
Sata Hardisk with raid configuration 0,1 is good
quartz
takercena wrote:

Mainboard = Asus nforce 4 SLI 16x

Graphic Card = 2 Nvidia FX Quadro 4500 for SLI configuration (pro recommended)

CPU = AMD athlon 64 4800X (dual core) = perfect for multi tasking
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57 =perfect for gaming

Memory=4gb dual channel

Hard disk= 4 x 300 GB or more so your son can save many data
Sata Hardisk with raid configuration 0,1 is good

[/quote]
Yeah its really dream machine

But machine you can only dream:
it has only processor: synthetic brains directly connected to your brains. You can control it with your mind, store huge amount of data and access at any time. You can enter virtual reality... etc Smile))
djclue917
Specifications:

Processor: Intel Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz)
Motherboard: Intel D945GTNL
Memory: 2 x 512mb PC533 DDR2 memory
Video Card: Gainward 6600GT 256mb 128bit videocard
Hard Drive: 80gb 7200rpm SATA
Optical Drive: LG GSA-4167B Multi-DVD Writer
Modem: 56k internal modem
Speakers: Creative SBS-240 speakers (2.0 speakers w/ bass)
Monitor: LG 17" 1730S LCD monitor
Casing: Duke Mesh ATX Case with 450w power supply
Keyboard: Logitech i-net keyboard and optical mouse
Floppy Drive: 1.44mb floppy drive
Other Items: 500w AVR

This whole unit would cost approximately $1150 (very expensive though)
This is not only suitable for gaming purposes but for other stuff as well.

HTH
Naif
The configuration suggested by fellow frihoster DJ Clue is good for an Intel based PC. Correction to what he wrote though, the boards name is D945GNTL. To cut down the price a bit, you can choose to go for a CRT monitor instead of an LCD but thats upto you.
djclue917
Naif wrote:
The configuration suggested by fellow frihoster DJ Clue is good for an Intel based PC. Correction to what he wrote though, the boards name is D945GNTL. To cut down the price a bit, you can choose to go for a CRT monitor instead of an LCD but thats upto you.

I wasn't able to notice it.. Hahaha
Anyways, I forgot something... The LCD monitor is more expensive than its CRT counterpart considering the quality of output. I suggest that you'd buy a CRT monitor instead of the LCD that I suggested in my previous post. The cheaper LCD monitors are not as good as their CRT counterparts in terms of the quality of the output.

HTH
gonzo
toshlad wrote:
what should go in to this dream machine.

at least $3,000USD in techology or its not much of a dream machine.

1, Motherboard: ASUS (nothing nvidia, nothing via, nothing amd)
2, CPU: Biggest Intel dual core with most L1 cache
3, Graphics Card: Biggest nvidia core with most onboard ram
4, Amount of memory: most JEDEC SPEC ram the motherboard will address - Corsair is preferable. ECC is better than not.
5, HDD - SATA RAID (redundant mode) one pair for OS and applications with highest RPM rating (Maxtor or Seagate). Another SATA for Page File and cache. Another SATA RAID (redundant mode) for media storage
6, a pair of Plextor 716 series burners. preferably SATA.
7, BenQ 1640 burner as reader for other burner
8, Linksys WRT54GS v 2.1 router with DD-WRT v23 firmware. Or buy a pair for WDS mesh
9, Win XP MCE latest version
10, do not install zone alarm
11, firefox
12, do NOT install a creative soundcard. multichannel onboard sound is great
13, >550watt Antec PSU. preferably a case with redundant PSUs.
14, liquid cooled, enclosed air filtration case
15, APC PRO series UPS >700. TRUE sinewave is the only way to go. Not feeding your system virgin power is a nightmare waiting to happen. But I'm sure you knew that.
16, either an external firewire enclosure or a removable drive tray with spare IDE for moving stuff around
17, a 2gig lexar lightening USB2 flash drive

multichip (2x, 4x) dualcore motherboard will be the way to go shortly

DO NOT overclock. But then if you are the IT pro you claim to be you are WELL aware of the utter folly of overclocking.

Smile