FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Edit Picture

heady233
Whenever I right click on a picture of any type and press edit it says:
Quote:
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.
But when I go there and check under .bmp it says the program associated with it is mspaint.
toshlad
Have you checked to see what other image formats are associated with MSPaint?

It could be that .JPG etc are not linked with paint.

Have you tried downloading another image editor that will edit all formats?

I hope this helps.
longjack
Maybe you can look at the settings:

For XP, click in this sequence:

Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File Types

In the File Types window click on the word Extensions to alphabetize the file types by their suffix. They probably already are.

Look for BMP, and highlight it.

If the button on the bottom right of the dialog box says Restore, click on it. The Button will now be named Advanced
and all the original windows settings are restored.

Click Advanced and you will be able to change the associations. If Edit isn't available you can make a new item called Edit and associate the program you want with it.

longjack
heady233
longjack wrote:
Maybe you can look at the settings:

For XP, click in this sequence:

Start -> Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File Types

In the File Types window click on the word Extensions to alphabetize the file types by their suffix. They probably already are.

Look for BMP, and highlight it.

If the button on the bottom right of the dialog box says Restore, click on it. The Button will now be named Advanced
and all the original windows settings are restored.

Click Advanced and you will be able to change the associations. If Edit isn't available you can make a new item called Edit and associate the program you want with it.

longjack
Thanks, you completely fixed my problem.
knux
just a side note that on programs like paint shop pro and photoshop and many others that will try to take ownership of the extensions and will allocate themselves with those extensions. if you dont want the programs to do that then you will have to manually unset them alot of times. and sometimes when you uninstall something then the exstension will not repair itself. so you may have to go in there again. the windows default option is good but atleast on my computer it resets everything! and then i have to go in and put programs to exstensions again. o well choose the best way for you.
djclue917
heady233 wrote:
Whenever I right click on a picture of any type and press edit it says:
Quote:
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.
But when I go there and check under .bmp it says the program associated with it is mspaint.

The message is very straightforward. It just means that the action Edit for *.bmp files does not have a program/command associated with it. It means that there exists an Edit action but somehow it's contents were removed.

Go to File Associations and find BMP, then edit the Edit action then put the program/command associated with it.

I hope that helps...
wisnet04
you just open the program you want to edit your picture. I use window, so you can do same thing by using window, like what I do. In this case, you must open any paint editor, such as MSpaint.

open the window explorer. Click your file (any file with picture extension: *.bmp, *.jpeg, etc), hold, and drag to the work area of MSPaint.

I usually do this way when I dont want to be bothered with fix filetype associating. At the end, if the picture file isn't corrupted, the picture will be showed and you can do what you want with msPaint. Ok, i hope it'll help
ocalhoun
First of all, stop using MS paint!
Here is a very nice graphics editor that is entirely free. (it's almost as good as photoshop)
The GIMP
This link will take you directly to the gimp for windows section.

Anyway, I find it highly likely that the image you are trying to modify is not a bitmap.
Try opening your graphics software (hopefully no longer MS paint), then dragging the file into the software's window.
mckenneth
hhmp... you can lyk... right click the image file... then click "properties"

they a window will pop up... juz click "CHANGE" on the 'opens with' column... then pick which ever program you want to open it in wen U click edit.