FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu doesn't recognize modem? (U.S. Robotics 56k?)

earth2
Ubuntu isn't recognizing my U.S. Robotics 56k modem. Is there anyway I can fix this or should I just go and buy another one?
Naif
I assume its an internal modem. You cannot use an Internal modem in Linux because they are software modems, also referred to as winmodems. They need drivers to work and unless a Linux driver is available for your modem, you wont be able to use it.
LordSata
Yes, it is that say naif... but:take a look here:
http://linmodems.org/

in this site you find all the information that you would to use your winmoedm under linux.
But... i think that for you hte best is: buy a real modem! the best modem (for linux) is a ethernet modem that using pppoe... all modem ethernet are supported on linux and the cost in not high.
Infact if you read the complete site that i have posted you can read that if you not oay for the license the driver limited the speed of the modem at 14.4k .... if you pay the modem go at its normal velocity, but if you spend 19$ for the license i think that you can spend 30$ for a modem....

Bye
earth2
Yeah, I think My U.S. Robotics 56k modem is a software-based modem requiring an operating system specific driver. So I guess my best bet would be to buy another one. What type of modem do you guys use? Just curious. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. earth2
Naif
earth2 wrote:
Yeah, I think My U.S. Robotics 56k modem is a software-based modem requiring an operating system specific driver. So I guess my best bet would be to buy another one. What type of modem do you guys use? Just curious. Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. earth2

You'll have to buy an external modem. External modems are easily detected under Linux but still to be on the safe side, do a research on the modem you plan on buying before you make an actual purchase.
desertwind
You'll find it very hard to find drivers for winmodems (aka internal modems). External Modems or hardware modems are the right choice. Give a try on http://linmodems.org too.
earth2
Just to you let you know that I got my U.S. Robotics 56k Fax PCI modem to work on Ubuntu.
I used: sudo pppconfig to configure my connection. I had to manually configure what serial port the modem was on though. pppconfig wouldn't automatically find it for me. That's what caused the "big headache". Regardless, it's up and running and that's all that matters now. Smile
Thanks Everyone
djclue917
earth2 wrote:
Just to you let you know that I got my U.S. Robotics 56k Fax PCI modem to work on Ubuntu.
I used: sudo pppconfig to configure my connection. I had to manually configure what serial port the modem was on though. pppconfig wouldn't automatically find it for me. That's what caused the "big headache". Regardless, it's up and running and that's all that matters now. Smile
Thanks Everyone

Hello earth2,

You might want to post that in Ubuntu Forums. That might help other people like you that are still experiencing that problem with their U.S. Robotics 56k Fax PCI modem.

Thanks man. Smile