FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's the risk of making unfinished site visible to Google

Alya
If the site is not fully finished (e.g. instead of descriptions of items there are place-holders saying "description, description ...") is there any risk it can get black-listed?

Is there anything special I need to do so that an unfinished site doesn't get penalized?
ruff_ryder
From what I know, Google extracts information about your site from its <meta> tags, so as long as those are OK, Google should crawl it correctly, regardless of content.
DX-Blog
ruff_ryder wrote:
From what I know, Google extracts information about your site from its <meta> tags, so as long as those are OK, Google should crawl it correctly, regardless of content.

Google does the exact oposite, it no longer cares about meta tags. It checks for keywords on your page.

If you just use lorem ipsum in example to fill it up it will completely ignore that. If you will use popular keywords to fill it up it will blacklist you if they would find out.
Alya
DX-Blog

That's what I heard too. Could get black-listed if keyword density too high

But lets's say my place-holders are no my keywords (e.g. the site says "description" where decription should be placed later, but "description" is obviously not one of my keywords (and it's not in meta-tags)

Would Google penalize for over-usage of words like "description" given that they're not keywords (not indicated in metatag keyword field)
DX-Blog
I dun think description is such a high rated keyword so I doubt they'll care. If you would place stuff like microsoft, blog, etc as fillers or things which are currently in the news etc, then they do care.

Like when the entire deal with michael jackson was hot some people tended to place words like michael jackson, court, etc within their posts for no obvious reason but gaining a higher position.

But well yeh, if you want to be completely safe, just use the lorem ipsum texts. Nice fillers and they are a globally used standard for fillers so no chance that google would blacklist overusage of those.
Alya
DX-Blog
Thank you.
I guess I could use lorem ipsum. The only thing is, while I'm the one who web design, it's another person who's supposed to make the descriptions of all the technical stuff on the site. And it might be confusing for him. So I'm trying to keep things simple for him by clearly stating "full description here", "brief description here", "name of the project here", etc.
DX-Blog
Alya wrote:
DX-Blog
Thank you.
I guess I could use lorem ipsum. The only thing is, while I'm the one who web design, it's another person who's supposed to make the descriptions of all the technical stuff on the site. And it might be confusing for him. So I'm trying to keep things simple for him by clearly stating "full description here", "brief description here", "name of the project here", etc.

If he does the technical stuff he'll most likely be looking at the html, not the layout. You can just place comments as to where what is supposed to be. Those are completely ignored so you'll be completely sure that crawlers won't mind.

<!-- Comment is made like this line -->

But well yeh, like I already said, I doubt those kind of words would actually be high rated keywords for which google would have a reason to blacklist you.
Alya
DX-Blog
thanks, makes sense
cambridge
some seo experts say comments are not ignored these days..
i saw some pages containg invisible texts containing keywords, incl. comments.
the same is for anchor texts, alt texts for pictures, etc
SoftStag
To be on the safe side and to make it easier for you, why don't you just use a robots.txt file to exclude any unfinished page, or even the entire site. This way Google and others will not index it, and consequently not blacklist it. You can change robots.txt when the site is ready and Google will happily index the site with the correct content.

More details on robots.tst here:
http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html