FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Is there any free forum software as good as Invision?

hack_man_
Is there any forum software (or Joomla plug-in) that is as good as Invision PowerBoard that is free and you can install on your server instead of InvisionFree which is on their servers?
mathiaus
InvisionFree is not IPB its is basedon it but highly modified down at the core.

It's all about personal feelings really. I dont think there is. Theres good forums around like phpbb but theres nothing free that is in the same standard as IPB.

I hated moving from IPB but my change to phpbb has enabled me to make my own mods, get better help and most importantly save money. All forums do the same things just not as well.
Daniel15
The popular free forums include SMF, MyBB, PunBB, and of course, phpBB. It just depends on what you like, and what you want.

Personally, I like SMF. It has a package manager so you don't need to apply mods manually. If you need to upgrade to a new version, it's just one click (as opposed to phpBB, which I think you need to upgrade manually).
n0obie4life
Personally, if you never said "invision clone" or something like that, I'd recommend phpBB. But since you said so, I recommend myBBoard instead, it's feature rich and IMO, is a 4-in-1 board.

It seems like it's a vBulletin+IPB+SMF+phpBB to me Wink
srijit
SMF has great integration with Joomla, provided you work at it :p
but it is a very good alternative to vBB. you can see it in action at http://blockbusters.in ( site is still a WIP )
kezialounel
i used to use phpBB on my websites, and then i found that it's functions are not enough for me although they are very easy to costumize and skin.

i tried both IPB and SMF at the same time, running both forums on different sites. over the years, i found that my users found SMF easier to use and with functions that are more useful to them than in IPB. however, as a webmaster, i've always preferred IPB because it has more control.

but then again, users usually find SMF easier, especially the elder ones. it doesn't make much of a difference to the young ones like us because we can learn everything fast, and we like to explore. we also like things with more functions, so we love IPB.
vignesh_natraj
You must feel comfortable at first sight with a forum and i think myBB is very good it has good Admincp feature than phpBB
Summer
Quote:
It seems like it's a vBulletin+IPB+SMF+phpBB to me

wtf , i just realise a very good bbs . Thanks .

In the future , SrinJado , Frihost's Community Project will be challenging them .