FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Question About Windows XP interface

Quake
Does anyone know how to modify what comes up in the my computer window in Win XP? I want to add some stuff besides the drives in my computer and the shared documents links at the top, is it also posble to change what shortcuts comeup on the left side of the window like my documents and my network places and stuff like that? Any knowledge would be appreciated...
longjack
One thing that may help is XP Powertoys Tweak UI. The powertoys are free utility apps from Microsoft.

Go Here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Look along the right border for tweakui.exe.

When the Tweak UI powertoy is installed and started, look through all the options in each tab to customize your settings. There is a a My Computers tab. In that you can at least choose what doesn't show in My Computers.

In XP, Tweak UI is started from the Programs menu, before XP, it was started through the control panel.

I use it mainly to create an automatic logon on multi-user machines, and to get rid of the arrow on desktop shortcuts. No muss, no fuss.

HTH

longjack
Alya
Quake wrote:
Does anyone know how to modify what comes up in the my computer window in Win XP?

What do you mean by "computer window"? Smile

It sounds like you're talking about Windows Explorer.

Try a different file manager. I use Total Commander. It's highly customizable, even the menues. You can never tweak Explorer to offer you all those options that are available in Total Commander.

If you want to change Desktop then try Aston Desktop.

Aston Desktop + Total Commander is a full shell alternative to Explorer.

I spent a lot of time trying to tweak Explorer using various registry tweaks. In the end it was just easier to switch to a better shell.
wrightbros
i have another question about winXP, why can't you make it go back to the classic find interface? (in explorer)
longjack
wrightbros wrote:
i have another question about winXP, why can't you make it go back to the classic find interface? (in explorer)

That can be set in Tweak UI as well.

Go Here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Look along the right border for tweakui.exe.

Download and install Tweak UI. It is started from the programs menu.

After you open it, click on and highlight Explorer in the left pane. Scroll down the list box on the right. Check off "Use Classic Search in Explorer"

HTH

longjack