FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Pr?

samr_vene
What exactly is PR, i know that when people try to sell their site, they are alway mentioning their PR.
DX-Blog
PR stands for PageRank, basically means how fond google is of ya.

The higher your PR:
The higher you will be listed within their search rankings.
The higher people to which you link their PR will become.
The more often that google crawler visits your site.

That's basically what it's about, there's more to it, but well yeh, this is of basic interest to most people.
shabda
PR today the biggest indicator of worth of a site. With 90% of traffic coming from google searches, the heigher your PR the heigher you will be ranked for your keywords, though other things like keyword density too play a part.
Bondings
shabda wrote:
PR today the biggest indicator of worth of a site. With 90% of traffic coming from google searches, the heigher your PR the heigher you will be ranked for your keywords, though other things like keyword density too play a part.

PR only tells you how popular a page is qua links. It doesn't really matter for your rankings on the search engines, unless for very non-competitive searches. PR is only a small element in the rankings.

To give an example, if there are thousands of websites linking to yours with text: "xOikjnUY", then your site will rank first for "OikjnUY", but that's it. You may then have a pr of 8, but it won't matter.

Of course a higher PR can be useful if you have a lot of new pages which need to be crawled, like a forum, then sure the pr will help them to get them crawled and ranked because if you search for a spelling mistake or a very unusual search, then pr will have a big importance. If you search for "real estate", then sure pr won't help you as it is one of the most competitive keywords.
boringest
it basically measures how many links can be traced to your website, say if like 10 sites link to you, you'll probably get a page rank of 3 and 100 would be like page rank 4 or something like that, not exactly linear but not logarithmic either.
Soltair
THe trick to get PR is to get links from other websites to yours. But beware! Google states that these links must be sensible. For example, you could not make 150 lycos accounts with websites on them, and as only content a link to your website. These links will be ignored by Google. So try to get good, strong links, preferably from websites treating the same topic as you. Wink
LuiS_J
PR means Puerto Rico .. Lmao LOL.. ahahaah Laughing Laughing Very Happy Very Happy Cool
blackbart
I've got a site with PR of 1. Predicted PR is anywhere from 3 to 5 depending onthe tools you use. My site is on the first page of Google for quite a few of my targeted search terms with competitors in rang of 40k - 2m sites..
From this it is apparent to me that the site's PR is very minor in positioning. Seems that PR is overrated. It may have certain PR (public relations) value if you are selong your services as a web designer or SEO service. but I ahve yet to see that it adversly affect my SERP pos.
Having said all that, I WANT A PR OF 5+!!! Gotta figure how to get it and what it does for me.
cambridge
that's not exactly true
maybe for your page position pr is not so important (alhough pr is one of the factors in google algo), but are extremely important for collecting backlinks.

high pr pages are treated as more valuable by google algo's; it mean's backlinks from that page are more important for your page. backlinks from pr=0 pages can even lower your position, especially if you have more pr=0 backlinks than others.

it's not a coincidence, that first directory you should add your site to (dmoz.org) has pr=9