FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ubuntu Linux blank screen on startup

dkbg
Okay, first of all, I'm a completely new Linux user and pretty unfamiliar with the command line so any step by step help would be the most useful.

I've just recently installed Ubuntu Linux (Breezy 5.10), I'm dual booting with Windows XP on my Toshiba M70 laptop, but I'm having some trouble. When I choose the Ubuntu OS in the Grub bootloader, everything seems to go pretty well, the Ubuntu logo appears along with various status messages which scroll underneath. The status bar reaches full and then the system just stops on a totally blank black screen after briefly displaying a blinking cursor in the top left. Nothing happens. I can use ctrl+alt+f# to reach a login, but I have no idea what to do from there.

I must also mention that I did not configure the network during Ubuntu's installation, and the status messages display a message stating that a connection to ntp.ubuntulinux.org has failed.

Thank you for any help you can offer! I would really like to get this working soon.
Naif
While installing Ubuntu, I dont think you specified you would like to boot directly into the X Windowing system. On the login prompt, enter the username and password combination you created while installing the OS. Then type startx on the command prompt. That should take you into the graphical interface. If for some reason startx doesnt work, type X instead.
root
If I'm not mistaken, ntp.ubuntulinux.org is used to sync your system clock. What the person above me said should work, if you have X installed correctly.

The best thing to do is not use Ubuntu.
Kyle Katarn
Ok, judging by the fact that it tries to load something and fails, I'd say you have a problem with your X server configuration. Perhaps it is loading the wrong driver. I believe that is fairly common with laptops. I'm not a linux expert, but I think that should point you in the right direction. I'm sorry I can't help more.

PS: The previous poster was correct, the NTP thing was a system that syncronizes your computer's time. Without a configured network connection, it fails to sync.
TheGeek
if the install of ubuntu is anything like slackware...at all, you had to select your graphics driver, its possible that you selected or it auto-selected the wrong one, try re-installing it and modifying this driver, if its an onboard graphics, its probably gunna be a driver called like...i6** something like that, (stars replaced by numbers) i remember having this same problem with mine, and that ended up being the problem, i had the wrong driver.
Alacarde
TheGeek wrote:
if the install of ubuntu is anything like slackware...at all, you had to select your graphics driver, its possible that you selected or it auto-selected the wrong one, try re-installing it and modifying this driver, if its an onboard graphics, its probably gunna be a driver called like...i6** something like that, (stars replaced by numbers) i remember having this same problem with mine, and that ended up being the problem, i had the wrong driver.

During the installation of Ubuntu you do not select any drivers, it sets everything up automatically.