FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FTP Help, Still

wumingsden
My FTP account hasn't worked for a while now, to be precise ever since Server 2 went down a couple of weeks ago. Bondings, etc, seems to think that this is because of my computer and I'm beginning to think the same thing, (although I have no evidence of this).

What I was wondering is does it work for everybody else?
I used to FTP all my files by setting up a Network Connection and have no other experience with FTP, or software that does this.

Could it be possible for a Moderator to try and access my FTP ****** and see wether it works for you? I've downloaded a programme called SmartFTP and get this error:

Quote:
An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.

Does this mean that its actually Server 2's problem or my computer?

If its my computer could somebody point me in the correct direction to configure my computer to work with my FTP account? Like a well-explained step-by-step tutorial? I've disabled my FireWall to see wether this works but nothing changed.

P.S This person thats running this script thats making Server 2 go down, would they know what they are doing or wouldn't it be that obvious? I'm asking this because not long ago I installed PHProxy 0.4, and it said that you may need to ask someone like Bondings to see wether you can use it. I searched aroung though and fount that its not dangerous. All it does is allows the user to go to a website which might be banned (i.e - most schools in the UK ban MSN Hotmail and game sites). I also fount someone else using it. I was a little worried but not know, this PHProxy 0.4 has only been used once by me and nobody else knows about it yet (as sites not finished). If you need to check it out the link is www.wmd.frih.net/proxy
Daniel15
To debug the FTP connection, you can use the DOS FTP program.

First, go Start --> Run... and type cmd (Windows 2000/XP) or command (all other Windows versions). You will get a command prompt.

Next, type in 'ftp frih.net'. It should successfully connect and ask you for a username and password. You'll get something like this: (I'm on server 1, server 2 will be slightly different)
Quote:

C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel>ftp stickboarder.be
Connected to stickboarder.be.
220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 4 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 03:59. Server port: 21.
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
User (stickboarder.be:(none)): daniel15
331 User daniel15 OK. Password required
Password:
230-User daniel15 has group access to: daniel15
230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
ftp>

If you get no errors (like my output above), it means that it connected successfully. Now, to test the data connection (where the downloads/uploads come and go through), we will get a directory listing. Type in 'dir' and press enter:
Quote:

ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful
150 Connecting to port 5001
drwx--x--x 15 32448 daniel15 4096 Dec 31 13:18 .
drwx--x--x 15 32448 daniel15 4096 Dec 31 13:18 ..
-rw------- 1 32448 daniel15 0 Jul 21 03:10 .bash_history
-rw------- 1 32448 daniel15 30 Sep 24 04:52 .contactemail
drwx------ 2 32448 daniel15 4096 Dec 28 04:22 .cpanel-datastore
-rw------- 1 32448 daniel15 6164 Dec 28 02:12 .cpanel-ducache
drwxr-xr-x 5 32448 daniel15 4096 Dec 22 00:47 .fantasticodata
drwxr-xr-x 3 32448 daniel15 4096 Dec 27 01:47 .htpasswds
-rw------- 1 32448 daniel15 14 Dec 28 04:22 .lastlogin
drwx------ 3 32448 daniel15 4096 Jul 19 05:07 .neomail
drwx------ 2 32448 daniel15 4096 Oct 8 09:15 .sqmaildata
drwx------ 2 32448 daniel15 4096 Dec 27 01:42 .trash
drwxr-xr-x 2 32448 daniel15 4096 Dec 27 01:25 etc
drwxrwx--- 16 32448 12 4096 Nov 2 00:13 mail
drwxr-xr-x 3 32448 daniel15 4096 Jul 9 12:55 public_ftp
drwxr-x--- 12 32448 99 4096 Dec 28 04:22 public_html
drwxr-xr-x 7 32448 daniel15 4096 Jul 23 09:59 smarty
drwxr-xr-x 5 32448 daniel15 4096 Dec 28 07:31 smarty-dansoft
drwx------ 6 32448 daniel15 4096 Dec 21 01:12 tmp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 11 Jul 9 12:55 www -> public_html
226-Options: -a -l
226 20 matches total
ftp: 1350 bytes received in 0.12Seconds 11.25Kbytes/sec.

This shows the root directory of your site. If this works, then it's probably a problem with your FTP software. You should try to disable passive mode in your FTP program. If it still doesn't work, download [url=filezilla.sourceforge.net]FileZilla[/url] and try again.
Bondings
About the ftp, I really have no idea what might be the problem.

About the proxy, it's not allowed because it could become very dangerous for the server. I always forget to put it in the tos, though.
wumingsden
Thanks daniel15 for the step-by-step guide, I'll try it out.

To Bondings, so PHP Proxy isn't allowed. What does it do to the Server? Could this be the reason for the errors? About the other person that has it, I don't know wether there hosted by FriHost but if you need to check it out their domain is www.poxyproxy.com

Does anybody else know any other thing thats like PHP Proxy that IS allowed on FriHost? (It will only be used by a couple of people, the actual URL will be Password Protected.

Also, about my FTP connection, someone pointed out to me http://www.surftp.com which is absolutely marvelous and it says that its secure (although I have a few doubts).
Daniel15
Quote:
To Bondings, so PHP Proxy isn't allowed. What does it do to the Server? Could this be the reason for the errors?

You could use the proxy for evil... What if someone somehow used the proxy to hack into someone's site? If a site gets hacked, their server logs would say that the hacking came from FriHost's server. They'd report that to Savvis, and the server would probably get shut down. Now, do you want that to happen?

Also, the proxy would use lots of the server's bandwidth, because the server would first fetch the page, and then send it to you. The only bandwidth that's counted in your 10GB bandwidth is when you get the page. This means that when the server fetches the page, the bandwidth isn't counted. So in a sense, you use double the server's bandwidth.

If you want to use web FTP, then try http://www.net2ftp.com/ . They even have the PHP source code available for download.
wumingsden
Thanks Dan for the URL. They use exactly the same concept and script. When I have time I'm going to install it but first I have another question.
When the Server is down does FTP also go down? Like you cannot access your website but can FTP? I'm asking this because I'm going to install it at my friHost account (I gather this is OK as a Moderator recommendeed it) and if the FTP doesn't go down then I was also going to install it at another place (in case I cannot access it from FriHost).

About the PHPScript, I didn't really think about that part of the problem but like I said it would have only have been available to a handful of people, anyways, I've uninstalled it from my account now.

I've been searching PHP Scripts seeing wether I need them, they are good etc, for my website. Should I ask someone here first wether or not I can install it? If so which part of the forum should this be done?
Daniel15
Quote:
When the Server is down does FTP also go down?

Usually, when the server goes down, it's only Apache that goes down.

To see if the FTP is up or down, go to http://www.uppanel.com/ and type 'frih.net' in the 'QuickCheck' box at the top. Once you click 'Check', it will tell you what services are running (eg.
Quote:
Open services: http (80), ftp (21), https (443), ssh (22), smtp (25), pop (110), mysql (3306)

)

What I meant by net2ftp was to use their site to browse your FTP. If you're not comfortable with that, then I'm sure that installing it on your site will be fine (as you'll only connect to the FriHost FTP server).

Quote:
I've been searching PHP Scripts seeing wether I need them, they are good etc, for my website. Should I ask someone here first wether or not I can install it?

You can install basically any PHP scripts here, as long as they're not paid scripts. If they're paid scripts and you've bought a license for them, you'll need to PM Bondings and prove to him that you actually did purchase the script.